Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Bamboo Moto X Impressions

I just received my Bamboo Moto X. I am currently on a Samsung GS3. Other than being very "white" (I usually prefer dark colors but I wanted to get white front face to match the mandatory white bamboo bezel on the back), I am mostly impressed with the device.

It has quite a bit of heft to it. It feels solid, but I have a minor quip about the build quality. There is a slight "bulge" in the bamboo bezel (see first picture). There is also a noticeable dark "edge" around the bamboo (see second picture). Almost like it's dirty or smudged. I wonder if this is an effect of the manufacturing process - maybe glue residue or something. Engadget's Saturday unboxing unit seemed to have the same issue.

Anyone else get one of these? Any similar experiences with the bamboo? I'm tempted to try to clean it a bit, then use the 30-day return window if it won't go away. I'm not thrilled about the dirty look on the edges - it just looks a little grimy.

(All pictures taken with GS3)

Thanks!

Bamboo Moto X Impressions-2013-12-23-17.17.08.jpg
    Bamboo Moto X Impressions-2013-12-23-17.17.51.jpg

Default Re: Bamboo Moto X Impressions

That Moto X looks SO cool i wish i had one

Why is everyone getting white with bamboo?

Posted Via VZW Moto X on the Android Central App

Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    ROM
    Jellybean

Quote Originally Posted by AaronDeVante View Post
    Why is everyone getting white with bamboo?

The rear bezel around the bamboo is white only, so most people are getting a white front to match the rear part.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MHBlink8 View Post
    The rear bezel around the bamboo is white only, so most people are getting a white front to match the rear part.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk
    That's a damn shame, they need to add the option to have that white or black.

mbar9607 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tbtregenza View Post
    There is a slight "bulge" in the bamboo bezel (see first picture). There is also a noticeable dark "edge" around the bamboo (see second picture). Almost like it's dirty or smudged.
    I see exactly what you are talking about and for $100 extra, that would be going back if I paid for it. No way would I keep that for $!00 extra.
    Bnjf and Pollster like this.

I would actually like to see a black front. Match it with black bezel and rockers. It might look cool

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

Ummm. You don't plan on keeping it with that bulge right?

Posted via Android Central App
    bd1212 and DayThyme like this.

Quote Originally Posted by tonymhoffman View Post
    Ummm. You don't plan on keeping it with that bulge right?
    yeah, send it back it is unacceptable.
    bd1212 likes this.

I just received my Bamboo Moto X. I am currently on a Samsung GS3. Other than being very "white" (I usually prefer dark colors but I wanted to get white front face to match the mandatory white bamboo bezel on the back), I am mostly impressed with the device.

It has quite a bit of heft to it. It feels solid, but I have a minor quip about the build quality. There is a slight "bulge" in the bamboo bezel (see first picture). There is also a noticeable dark "edge" around the bamboo (see second picture). Almost like it's dirty or smudged. I wonder if this is an effect of the manufacturing process - maybe glue residue or something. Engadget's Saturday unboxing unit seemed to have the same issue.

Anyone else get one of these? Any similar experiences with the bamboo? I'm tempted to try to clean it a bit, then use the 30-day return window if it won't go away. I'm not thrilled about the dirty look on the edges - it just looks a little grimy.

(All pictures taken with GS3)

Thanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-12-23 17.17.08.jpg 
Views:	438 
Size:	194.9 KB 
ID:	98173
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-12-23 17.17.51.jpg 
Views:	441 
Size:	468.3 KB 
ID:	98174
    Isn't the return policy 14 days unless you're in California? I ordered a Motomaker, and asked the CS person what the policy was. If it's 30 days, then great. I'll evaluate mine longer!

Global Posts
    5,528 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Magm View Post
    Isn't the return policy 14 days unless you're in California? I ordered a Motomaker, and asked the CS person what the policy was. If it's 30 days, then great. I'll evaluate mine longer!
    30 days is only in California.

Everything in this post is 100% accurate...I think

R.I.P. Motorola...and what could have been the best smartphone line ever
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Thanks for all the input guys - I will be returning it. Can't wait to start messing around with this phone though. It looks fantastic aside these aesthetic issues.

ROM
    Speed Rom Jellybean

Could be part of the reason the wood backs got delayed for so long. I haven't seen any of the regular Moto X's having any issues with build quality. Looks pretty sweet besides the lump on the side. Hope they get this fixed for ya.

14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Magm View Post
    I am in California - it is typically 14 days you're correct.

Definitely not impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by gingersnapgirl View Post
    Definitely not impressed.
    By the looks or the one you own?

Global Posts
    5,528 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

I am in California - it is typically 14 days you're correct.
    Really? I was told it was 30 days when I got my S4...
    Everything in this post is 100% accurate...I think

R.I.P. Motorola...and what could have been the best smartphone line ever

Quote Originally Posted by tonymhoffman View Post
    By the looks or the one you own?

By the looks. I'd already received mine before bamboo was available, and I'm glad I didn't wait. It doesn't look that great to me, even without the bulging in the pictures.

Global Posts
    297 Global Posts

I would return that pronto!!
    I am getting av warranty replacement because I have about a dozen black specs on my olive back plate. Not sure how the got there but they are one with the polycarbonate and not dirt or smudges. Motorola is replacing it no questions asked, great experience!!

Sent from my XT1053 using AC Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by gingersnapgirl View Post
    By the looks. I'd already received mine before bamboo was available, and I'm glad I didn't wait. It doesn't look that great to me, even without the bulging in the pictures.
    To each his/her own. I think it looks fantastic except for the bulging and the grimey stuff on the sides. There is no doubt about it - his should have not left the factory. They need better QA.

When will we see SWNY other wood options, the bamboo and white doesn't do it for me.

Is the op the only one in here that has purchased a bamboo X? I went back and forth the other day for two hours if I should pull the trigger or not.

I opted out because Woodside said they had some phones in the pipeline for release at new year. I'm thinking a 5 inch phone or something with some more horsepower might come out and I want to be ready on signal if it does.

23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

Tony, I've been looking for other user reviews of Bamboo Xs and surprisingly, given the high demand for the product, I can't find any other threads like mine (positive or negative). Since I'm not in a horrible position with a fully functional GS3 I'm going to order a new one (my return was processed today) and see if any of my problems have been resolved with the build quality. If it's a recurring problem I will just probably order a plastic Moto X or keep waiting for the Rosewood which will come with a black bezel instead of the white.

On a darker wood, my thoughts are that the "smudged" edge will be far less visible, if it is indeed an inevitable effect of the manufacturing process. I'll update this thread when the new unit comes in.
    Thanked by:
    tonymhoffman likes this.

I love the look of that phone, absolutely love it.

But yea, with that bulge it would be going back. Definitely a defect. Hopefully that doesn't happen allot with wooden backs, especially when you are paying a $100 premium.

I think that is the nicest phone I have ever seen, inside and out.

Have you received your replacement phone yet? I'm curious if it had the same issues as your first. I've been waiting for the rosewood back to be released but am starting to wonder how much longer that wait will be. I may just bite the bullet and get a phone with the bamboo back.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast