Results 1 to 8 of 8
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By still1
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Curious - any thoughts

    Every night when I go to sleep I put my X in Airplane mode so I don't get woken up by alerts, emails, texts, etc. Every morning when I go to put it back on, the New York Times app has somehow managed to get the "Today in the NY Times" message on the phone, a feature I signed up for that highlights 10 or 15 stories in that day's paper and puts an alert in the notification bar. Anyone have any thoughts on how it's doing this?

    I thought putting a phone in Airplane mode basically cuts it off from the outside world. Nothing else has arrived on the X during the night. When I take it out of Airplane mode, after a few seconds the weather app refreshes and I get notifications for emails or texts that have come in during the night. But the Times app has somehow gotten through.

    Obviously this is not a pressing issue, and not even a problem as it doesn't make a noise when it comes in, I'm just curious how it's happening. Any thoughts?
  2. #2  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    13,639 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,914 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

    Default Re: Curious - any thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by manhattan123 View Post
    Every night when I go to sleep I put my X in Airplane mode so I don't get woken up by alerts, emails, texts, etc. Every morning when I go to put it back on, the New York Times app has somehow managed to get the "Today in the NY Times" message on the phone, a feature I signed up for that highlights 10 or 15 stories in that day's paper and puts an alert in the notification bar. Anyone have any thoughts on how it's doing this?

    I thought putting a phone in Airplane mode basically cuts it off from the outside world. Nothing else has arrived on the X during the night. When I take it out of Airplane mode, after a few seconds the weather app refreshes and I get notifications for emails or texts that have come in during the night. But the Times app has somehow gotten through.

    Obviously this is not a pressing issue, and not even a problem as it doesn't make a noise when it comes in, I'm just curious how it's happening. Any thoughts?
    A good counter question is: The highlights...are they accurate? Meaning are they fresh news? If so, I don't know what to say. Putting the phone in Airplane mode should deactivate all power to the radios. Unless it somehow switches over to a wifi signal?

    Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu 'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Curious - any thoughts

    i think the app download tomorrows stories way before you put it to aeroplane mode...

    its a news paper isnt?? they have the news ready the previous day
    Fancy A Break From Your iPhone? Have an Android Kit Kat
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default Re: Curious - any thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    A good counter question is: The highlights...are they accurate? Meaning are they fresh news? If so, I don't know what to say. Putting the phone in Airplane mode should deactivate all power to the radios. Unless it somehow switches over to a wifi signal?
    Yes, they are the highlights from that day's paper, new ones every day. If it was switching to wi-fi wouldn't my emails be coming in also? Any new ones don't arrive until I have turned Airplane mode off when I get up.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Curious - any thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by manhattan123 View Post
    Yes, they are the highlights from that day's paper, new ones every day. If it was switching to wi-fi wouldn't my emails be coming in also? Any new ones don't arrive until I have turned Airplane mode off when I get up.
    read my post above... thats the only logical reason
    Fancy A Break From Your iPhone? Have an Android Kit Kat
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

    Default Re: Curious - any thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by still1 View Post
    i think the app download tomorrows stories way before you put it to aeroplane mode...

    its a news paper isnt?? they have the news ready the previous day
    Hmm, I guess it could be doing that, but would it be able to send the alert (which is the NY Times logo) to the notification bar while in Airplane mode?
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Curious - any thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by manhattan123 View Post
    Hmm, I guess it could be doing that, but would it be able to send the alert (which is the NY Times logo) to the notification bar while in Airplane mode?
    yes, thats totally possible... Notifications are Android feature and any app can send notification without the internet
    Fancy A Break From Your iPhone? Have an Android Kit Kat
    Thanked by:
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

    Default Re: Curious - any thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by still1 View Post
    yes, thats totally possible... Notifications are Android feature and any app can send notification without the internet
    I did not know that! Ok, that seems to make sense then. Well that was a quick solve to something that had been puzzling me for the last few weeks. Thanks!

Similar Threads

  1. Is there any call recorder for Android phone which records call automatically ?
    By Android_Dev in forum Software Development and Hacking
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-21-2014, 02:44 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-25-2013, 06:23 AM
  3. Any news about the Gear 2
    By rmadrid20 in forum Samsung Galaxy Gear
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-24-2013, 07:30 AM
  4. Transform Any Android Device To Samsung Galaxy S4
    By Mehul Boricha in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-23-2013, 09:34 AM
  5. Is there any ROM for s4 mini SGH-I257M?
    By orangesean in forum Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-23-2013, 07:43 AM

Posting Permissions

B