Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By UncleMike
  • 1 Post By justlaxin13
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Defective battery? Android OS going nuts? Should I return?

Hey, so after having my Moto X for a few weeks now I'm realizing that I'm not getting nearly the battery life I'm seeing most others get as posted in these forums. I am, to the best of my ability, adjusting my expectations for screen usage and if any specific apps show up high on my battery usage list. I have tried factory resetting my phone and also going a day or two with minimal extra apps installed so isolate that as a problem.

I've posted a few battery screen shots below that represent a very typical day for me in terms of both usage and battery life results. All advice is welcome.

Defective battery? Android OS going nuts? Should I return?-screenshot_2013-12-25-00-00-21.pngDefective battery? Android OS going nuts? Should I return?-screenshot_2013-12-25-00-00-25.png

Default Re: Defective battery? Android OS going nuts? Should I return?

use wake lock detector... if you are rooted use app called Greenify
    Fancy A Break From Your iPhone? Have an Android Kit Kat
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by still1 View Post
    use wake lock detector... if you are rooted use app called Greenify
    Wakelock detector is telling me it needs root. I think I can get partial and kernel wakelock stats without root from BetterBatteryStats so I'll keep an eye on that and post some screenshots later on.

If you don't use Google now weather and Google now travel in the pull up menu then I suggest to go to Settings->locations->Mode and set it to device only. Also, you can turn off location reporting and location history. You may also want to go to wireless settings->advance and unchecked the scanning always enabled.

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    348 Global Posts

Turn off Google now and disable location reporting in maps. Its what causes android os to go crazy.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I had very similar performance today. While I'm all for disabling things as a troubleshooting measure, something is wrong if stock software is causing this. I've seen threads elsewhere in which people recommend disabling so many things that you might as well go back to a dumb phone. If heavy users want to disable some of these things to gain that little extra battery life they need, that's understandable. But you shouldn't have to remove the "smart" from the smart phone just to get decent battery life.
    Laineyc and dmark44 like this.

Check settings, active display, manage notification types.

Unchecked active on download, then deselect anything that you do not need notifications for. See if that helps. Chris

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app

Global Posts
    79 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by UncleMike View Post
    I had very similar performance today. While I'm all for disabling things as a troubleshooting measure, something is wrong if stock software is causing this. I've seen threads elsewhere in which people recommend disabling so many things that you might as well go back to a dumb phone. If heavy users want to disable some of these things to gain that little extra battery life they need, that's understandable. But you shouldn't have to remove the "smart" from the smart phone just to get decent battery life.
    Yes.... and no. All the things that make a smart phone a smart phone take POWER to function if you want them happening 24/7. The Moto X has taken some unprecedented steps to reduce the power consumption of some of the more useful features but there are still lots of features and functions in the phone and in downloaded software that are not power efficient. Take location reporting, for example. It requires a GPS receiver to be on and the CPU to process the information and do something with it. While I keep my GPS and location services in general turned off unless I actually need them, I have found that the added drain from them is actually less than I expected.

What is needed is much finer granularity and reporting IN THE OS for settings that affect power consumption.

Paul
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Alright, So now I have some screenshots of what happens when I leave the phone off the charger overnight. I lost 22% in around 7 hours with the screen off and nothing actively running. No specific 3rd party apps show up show up in the battery usage graph as having taken much power. Stranger still, the top power consumer was Wi-fi. I didn't have wifi enabled at all during that time...

Defective battery? Android OS going nuts? Should I return?-screenshot_2013-12-26-06-52-22.pngDefective battery? Android OS going nuts? Should I return?-screenshot_2013-12-26-06-52-27.png
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by pgoelz View Post
    Yes.... and no. All the things that make a smart phone a smart phone take POWER to function if you want them happening 24/7. The Moto X has taken some unprecedented steps to reduce the power consumption of some of the more useful features but there are still lots of features and functions in the phone and in downloaded software that are not power efficient. Take location reporting, for example. It requires a GPS receiver to be on and the CPU to process the information and do something with it. While I keep my GPS and location services in general turned off unless I actually need them, I have found that the added drain from them is actually less than I expected.

What is needed is much finer granularity and reporting IN THE OS for settings that affect power consumption.

Paul
    In turn I both agree and disagree. Obviously, using various features takes energy and the more you use frequently the greater the drain will be. However, when it comes to this case that I'm worried about, I feel as though I roughly follow good battery practices: GPS, Wifi and Bluetooth are off unless being used (which is very infrequently for GPS and Bluetooth). Screen brightness is always on auto. etc. And yet, when I go into the forums for other Moto X users I see a majority of people, presumably using this is as their daily driver as I am, getting twice the battery life WITH twice the screen on time. While I know more than just screen factors in, that's a pretty damning thing to find nonetheless.
    dmark44 likes this.