1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default new moto x.. is it a dud?

I've been Googling this but apparently moto x isn't a great specific search term..

Got a moto x for Christmas! But.. barely got to use it.. signed in with my google and it automatically started updating some apps.. then I got a pop up that a critical device update was available, so I connected to wifi and dl and installed it.. about 41 MB.. then another critical update pop up.. over 300 MB size this time. I let it download then came back later and tapped install. Ever since then my phone is unusable. Everything I open makes a message come up that "unfortunately" it has to close. I tried force rebooting. Nothing. I couldn't even get far enough into settings to factory reset. So I booted to recovery, tried wiping cache, tried hard reset.. the phone booted and asked me to select language and log in google, but still same force close and freezing issues. Is there anything I can do? I got it at best buy ..is it a lemon that I should return?

Thanks so much for your help! Appreciate it.. I was excited about this phone!

Global Posts
    302 Global Posts

Default Re: new moto x.. is it a dud?

If you already tried a factory reset I would definitely swap it out for a new one. It's brand new for goodness sake, you don't want to deal all that nonsense.

I play with food

Quote Originally Posted by Sophos View Post
    If you already tried a factory reset I would definitely swap it out for a new one. It's brand new for goodness sake, you don't want to deal all that nonsense.

I play with food
    Absolutely this.... the upgrade should not be something you have to struggle with. Especially if you just got it at a local Best Buy return it tomorrow!!!!

Sent from my KFAPWI using Tapatalk HD
    Regard all phenomena as dreams...
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Appreciate the advice! I'm going to use it, returning to Best Buy today. That's what I was thinking.. it's brand new! Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gmvc1111 View Post
    Appreciate the advice! I'm going to use it, returning to Best Buy today. That's what I was thinking.. it's brand new! Thanks
    do a factory reset and login with google again before returning.
    Fancy A Break From Your iPhone? Have an Android Kit Kat
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by still1 View Post
    do a factory reset and login with google again before returning.
    Yeah I did all that, same behavior. Actually I had a hard time even logging in with google again because the force closes and freezing is so bad. I was hoping not to have to wait in line at best buy and then deal with their service, but it looks like the better option now.

Please let us know what the problem ended up being? I have a Moto X coming tomorrow via FedEx and I'm an android newbie so I sure don't want to think it's a critical update and it's what happened to you instead. Sounds terrible! Thanks, Donna

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaGma View Post
    Please let us know what the problem ended up being? I have a Moto X coming tomorrow via FedEx and I'm an android newbie so I sure don't want to think it's a critical update and it's what happened to you instead. Sounds terrible! Thanks, Donna
    One of the updates is Kit Kat 4.4, so you'll get it. The other may be the camera update that pushed a while back - so maybe that Moto was sitting in back for a while.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    13,780 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

A reset should clear any cached system data that might be causing the force closes.

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here

Global Posts
    417 Global Posts

Rebooting into recovery and clearing cache will probably fix it. Cutting off app updates to install a system update can send permissions wonky. There is a chance a few reboots may smooth it out.

Posted via Android Central App