1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default AWS LTE

Hope everyone had a great holiday! I was just browsing around looking at some articles about the Moto X and some of them point to the X having the necessary bands to connect to Verizon's AWS. So my question is how would I find out if my Moto X is on VZW AWS vs conventional LTE? Would the signal indicator say LTE+ or change to a new symbol? Under the settings -> about would it say AWS?

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: AWS LTE

Not sure the Moto X would say "AWS" when your connected. If you live in or around LA, here's a link with some info about AWS deploying in some markets.

Android Central Editor in Chief

Global Posts
    3,970 Global Posts

AWS is no different than other LTE — it's just a nickname given to that particular frequency is all.

Quote Originally Posted by Champion1229 View Post
    So my question is how would I find out if my Moto X is on VZW AWS vs conventional LTE? Would the signal indicator say LTE+ or change to a new symbol? Under the settings -> about would it say AWS?
    Speed would probably be the only indicator. My speeds have increased substantially in Chicago.

Global Posts
    108 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    Speed would probably be the only indicator. My speeds have increased substantially in Chicago.

But given that that is still within the range of speeds found on the 700 Mhz spectrum, you can't say for certain that that is or isn't a speed test on the AWS spectrum.

On some phones (Note 3 and iPhone 5S come to mind) you can access certain field test menus that will indicate which LTE band you are on. Most phones, however, including the X, don't allow you to do this. So, really, unless you're getting speed tests of 80 Mbps+ download, then you can't be sure that you're on AWS.

Quote Originally Posted by sc4fpse View Post
    But given that that is still within the range of speeds found on the 700 Mhz spectrum, you can't say for certain that that is or isn't a speed test on the AWS spectrum.

On some phones (Note 3 and iPhone 5S come to mind) you can access certain field test menus that will indicate which LTE band you are on. Most phones, however, including the X, don't allow you to do this. So, really, unless you're getting speed tests of 80 Mbps+ download, then you can't be sure that you're on AWS.
    Speeds like that aren't happening on non AWS, trust me. Until recently, I was getting single digit download speeds in Chicago.