1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Does e-mail recognize telephone #s and street addresses?

I've just switched from an iPhone where the e-mail app would recognize telephone numbers and street addresses and turn them into clickable links that were highlighted in blue. For example, when you clicked on a street address it open it in maps. This was super useful but this doesn't seem to be the case in my new Moto X running Kit Kat 4.4.

Is there some setting I need to change?

Global Posts
    327 Global Posts
    ROM
    Jellybean

Default Re: Does e-mail recognize telephone #s and street addresses?

Quote Originally Posted by roboman9 View Post
    I've just switched from an iPhone where the e-mail app would recognize telephone numbers and street addresses and turn them into clickable links that were highlighted in blue. For example, when you clicked on a street address it open it in maps. This was super useful but this doesn't seem to be the case in my new Moto X running Kit Kat 4.4.

Is there some setting I need to change?
    That works for me automatically, but I only use Gmail. I can't say if it works on the standard email client, but it should as I think that functionality works across all of Android. For example, if there is a phone number or address in a calendar entry, when selected the appropriate app launches.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by MHBlink8 View Post
    That works for me automatically, but I only use Gmail. I can't say if it works on the standard email client, but it should as I think that functionality works across all of Android. For example, if there is a phone number or address in a calendar entry, when selected the appropriate app launches.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Thanks. I tried Gmail and that got the telephone # highlighted but not the street address.
    Also, I tried K-9 e-mail and the same result: I can sometimes get the number to dial but it's hit or miss (mostly miss). And it's never highlighted. And street addresses never work.

Any other ideas? I get the feeling I've got some setting messed up somewhere.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by roboman9 View Post
    Thanks. I tried Gmail and that got the telephone # highlighted but not the street address.
    Also, I tried K-9 e-mail and the same result: I can sometimes get the number to dial but it's hit or miss (mostly miss). And it's never highlighted. And street addresses never work.

Any other ideas? I get the feeling I've got some setting messed up somewhere.
    Thanks.
    for address you have to long press and it give you options for opening in google maps.. i am sure i have tried this many time
    Fancy A Break From Your iPhone? Have an Android Kit Kat
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Thanks. That's definitely not happening for addresses.
    I've been through every menu I can find and haven't see anything like this.

Any idea where to change this?

Also, telephone numbers seem to work but they are are not highlighted in any way. And it seems pretty finicky about how long to press it.