1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Editorial: Why the snap dragon 800s do not listen from standby

I found this article interesting, thought you might as well.

copy/paste from aticle:
    In fact, I’d even go so far as to suggest that I’m starting to get a little jealous. While I’m largely pleased with my purchase of a Nexus 5 over the Moto X, why should (on paper at least) a less “advanced” phone get such a cool feature?

And the thing is – it shouldn’t. Or rather, there’s doesn’t seem to be any good reason why the same feature isn’t also present on the Nexus 5 – or any other phone running a Snapdragon 800 processor.
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,197 Global Posts

Default Re: Editorial: Why the snap dragon 800s do not listen from standby

Next step - does Motorola have a patent for that kind of feature?
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

Quote Originally Posted by zobog View Post
    I found this article interesting, thought you might as well.

copy/paste from aticle:
    In fact, I’d even go so far as to suggest that I’m starting to get a little jealous. While I’m largely pleased with my purchase of a Nexus 5 over the Moto X, why should (on paper at least) a less “advanced” phone get such a cool feature?

And the thing is – it shouldn’t. Or rather, there’s doesn’t seem to be any good reason why the same feature isn’t also present on the Nexus 5 – or any other phone running a Snapdragon 800 processor.
    Always listening to some trigger might seem easy thing to do but its pretty hard ..the algorithms have to be tuned perfectly to your system while also minimizing current drain ..to minimize false activations ..I'm sure other OEMS including nexus 5 team tried to do this and failed on 800 processors even though Qualcomm touted this feature.. .next generation phones in 2014 should all have this feature

Posted via Android Central App
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

I do not know, but I hope not. I love Motorola.
    But I am hoping this feature becomes standard on phones in the future. Otherwise it will limit my options when making my next purchase.

Global Posts
    424 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zobog View Post
    I do not know, but I hope not. I love Motorola.
    But I am hoping this feature becomes standard on phones in the future. Otherwise it will limit my options when making my next purchase.
    I agree. I love the feature and there's only been a few times where it was triggered when it shouldn't have been. I listen to a TON of talk radio every day as well as podcasts so Always Listening has plenty of opportunity to get false triggers. I think Motorola did a nice job with it, especially for the first time out with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    Next step - does Motorola have a patent for that kind of feature?

dont know if moto has some patent for this feature but i know Motorola is licensing parts of it from some company
    Fancy A Break From Your iPhone? Have an Android Kit Kat

Quote Originally Posted by guesswhat_567 View Post
    Always listening to some trigger might seem easy thing to do but its pretty hard ..the algorithms have to be tuned perfectly to your system while also minimizing current drain ..to minimize false activations ..I'm sure other OEMS including nexus 5 team tried to do this and failed on 800 processors even though Qualcomm touted this feature.. .next generation phones in 2014 should all have this feature

That was my guess when I read the article before coming across this thread. In my own side-by-side comparison, the Nexus 5 was no competition for the Moto X when it came to voice recognition and speech-to-text, particularly when there was background noise. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the other OEMs failed to come up with anything that worked well enough to include in a final product.

The article mentioned a company named Nuance and some googling brought me to which in turn leads to Dragon Mobile Assistant which - gasp! - is in the Play store and was updated just 10 days ago.

Take a read and are ya surprised how much it behaves like Assist on the X?!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom in Bristol View Post
    The article mentioned a company named Nuance and some googling brought me to which in turn leads to Dragon Mobile Assistant which - gasp! - is in the Play store and was updated just 10 days ago.

Take a read and are ya surprised how much it behaves like Assist on the X?!
    Nuance speech to text software is widely licensed and used by lots of vendors ..that's defnitly not something that will stop other OEMS to emulate this feature ..its more to do with system design and signal processing system that moto put together ..that made this possible

I could not read the article as my work firewall blocks PocketNow for some reason, however I think I have a simple answer as to why no SnapDragon 800 phone has always listening:
    No OEM has used the coprocessor on the 800 for that purpose! They have all used it for other tasks, like background updates, etc. I'd be willing to bet that at least the Knock On part of LG's "Knock" feature on the G2 uses the coprocessor. On top of the OEM's choosing to use the coprocessor for other tasks, they have all focused their software developement on other areas. Its not like it is just a little checkbox the OEM needs to click to make an SD800 phone start always listening. They have to actually build the feature into their software and likely license voice recognition software from Nuance. They simply choose not to.