Moto X $399 off contract this morning

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Motorola has the Moto X moto maker starting at $399 this morning. Have not confirmed but I believe that will be for the 16GB model.

Sent from my Moto X

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Good deal, especially if anyone wants one off contract.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I think this is a good move. It'll put more units in more hands thus spreading the word about how nice the device is. It'll help future model sales

Also gives the N5 competition for the off contact buyers

My Evo lte Filling the shoes of my HTC One

Infinity

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Debating if I should return my Cyber Monday motomaker for the developer edition. I don't like fact that the white back isn't soft touch but like that I wouldn't have to worry about losing my warranty by unlocking.

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Debating if I should return my Cyber Monday motomaker for the developer edition. I don't like fact that the white back isn't soft touch but like that I wouldn't have to worry about losing my warranty by unlocking.
It's too late to return the Cyber Monday purchases unless you are in California.

I would get the Dev Ed if you are in California and can return your motomaker. I HATE the woven white back but I put a case on mine that is soft touch textured black (puregear - it's a great case with a holster!). There also are carbon fiber skins that you can purchase if you don't want to use a case.

Infinity

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Not in California but my my 14th day is tomorrow, so I would need to decide really soon. I usually don't use cases on my phone. So I have to decide between the black soft touch that I like and losing warranty or the woven white which I haven't heard many positive reports on.

dsw1519

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone know if the carriers will match the price (specifically Verizon), or do you have to order one from Motorola directly?

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Not in California but my my 14th day is tomorrow, so I would need to decide really soon.

Wow, they were really late shipping yours!

I usually don't use cases on my phone. So I have to decide between the black soft touch that I like and losing warranty or the woven white which I haven't heard many positive reports on.
BodyGuardz makes a black carbon fiber skin for the moto x that is nice. It is $20 on amazon. If I didn't go with a case, I would have gotten that.

31s9u5dkYHL.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Does anyone know if the carriers will match the price (specifically Verizon), or do you have to order one from Motorola directly?

Verizon NEVER matches prices. NEVER EVER.

Infinity

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Wow, they were really late shipping yours!

BodyGuardz makes a black carbon fiber skin for the moto x that is nice. It is $20 on amazon. If I didn't go with a case, I would have gotten that.

I actually ordered it the day the coupon code expired (12/16), so they got it to me quick. But since then I've thought i probably should have got the developer edition as it's just a matter of time till i root. That bodyguardz looks decent, thanks for the suggestion. Now I just have to decide if keeping the warranty be worth the extra $50. I wonder if the developer edition would have higher resale value down the road...

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I actually ordered it the day the coupon code expired (12/16), so they got it to me quick.
Ah, I see, I thought you were one of the few who actually were able to order on Cyber Monday.

That bodyguardz looks decent, thanks for the suggestion.
It will look even better on the Dev Eds because they have a black side and black front.

Now I just have to decide if keeping the warranty be worth the extra $50.
I think it will be.

I wonder if the developer edition would have higher resale value down the road...
What carrier on you on? If you are on Verizon or ATT you cannot unlock the bootloader on the motomaker Moto X's, only the Dev Eds. If you are on US Celler, TMobile or Sprint, you can unlock the bootloader but it voids your warranty. So if you are Verizon or ATT, it will definitely help with resale value to have a Dev Ed.

Last edited:

dsw1519

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
First - thanks to everyone for all of the info. I was going to buy the nexus 5 and switch to TMO but I'm concerned about the coverage with them. Now with the off contract price drop of the X, I am know leaning towards getting the X and staying on VZW.

I'm grandfathered with an unlimited data plan with VZW. Does anyone know if I buy the Moto X from Motorola directly, can I just activate the X on my current plan and keep the unlimited data? Also, can I just switch the SIM card from my Droid 4 and put it in the X and use it without needing VZW to activate it?

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I'm grandfathered with an unlimited data plan with VZW. Does anyone know if I buy the Moto X from Motorola directly, can I just activate the X on my current plan and keep the unlimited data?
Absolutely. Just select verizon, no contract when you select your phone at motorola.com.

Also, can I just switch the SIM card from my Droid 4 and put it in the X and use it without needing VZW to activate it?
As long as your Droid 4 has a nano SIM card, yes.

ETA - I just looked it up, the Droid 4 has a micro SIM, so no, you can't swap the SIM card without cutting it down. However, it is not an issue at all with your unlimited data if you buy the moto x off contract. The Verizon moto x comes with a Verizon SIM card. Just log on online and type the IMEI and SIM card number in and the moto x will be activated on your line.

As long as you order it off contract and pay $399 (or $449 for the 32GB model or $499 for the bamboo back), you will not lose unlimited data on Verizon when you activate the phone.

dsw1519

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
^^^^ Thanks Day Thyme. I'm really thinking keeping VZW unlimited data is the way to go because of this phone at this price point. I'm eligible for an upgrade next month, but will lose the unlimited plan and my monthly bill will go up, so I would rather pay the off contract price. Unfortunately I missed the $349 cyber monday deal for this phone.

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
^^^^ Thanks Day Thyme. I'm really thinking keeping VZW unlimited data is the way to go because of this phone at this price point. I'm eligible for an upgrade next month, but will lose the unlimited plan and my monthly bill will go up, so I would rather pay the off contract price. Unfortunately I missed the $349 cyber monday deal for this phone.

Did you see my edit about the Droid 4 having a micro SIM card?

Also, are you on a family share plan? If so, there are ways to use your unlimited data line's upgrade. Check out the verizon forum on AC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21