Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    647 Global Posts

Default Moto X $399 off contract this morning

Motorola has the Moto X moto maker starting at $399 this morning. Have not confirmed but I believe that will be for the 16GB model.

Sent from my Moto X
    Thanked by:
    jephanie and DayThyme like this.

Global Posts
    13,801 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Default Re: Moto X $399 off contract this morning

Good deal, especially if anyone wants one off contract.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here

its a permanent price drop
    Fancy A Break From Your iPhone? Have an Android Kit Kat
    Thanked by 3:
    cwbcpamrsmumblesRy 
    Ry, jephanie, mrsmumbles and 1 others like this.

ROM
    Speed Rom Jellybean

Quote Originally Posted by still1 View Post
    Wow really? If true that's fantastic. Ive always felt like this phone should have launched at $400-$450 so more people would be interested.

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by blacksapphire08 View Post
    Wow really? If true that's fantastic. Ive always felt like this phone should have launched at $400-$450 so more people would be interested.

yup.. official blog post by motorola

posted on AC: Moto X price drops to $399 outright | Android Central
    Last edited by still1; 01-01-2014 at 11:35 AM.
    Fancy A Break From Your iPhone? Have an Android Kit Kat
    Ry likes this.

I think this is a good move. It'll put more units in more hands thus spreading the word about how nice the device is. It'll help future model sales

Also gives the N5 competition for the off contact buyers

My Evo lte Filling the shoes of my HTC One
    Owner of a replacement Htc One... Till something better comes along
    Ambassador

So now you can get the bamboo for $499. Thats a good price. To bad I dont like the bamboo. lol .

Ry

Global Posts
    7,186 Global Posts

Yup

a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    647 Global Posts

Yep. I read about that after my post. Thanks for correcting me. It's a great deal in my opinion.

Sent from my Moto X

Debating if I should return my Cyber Monday motomaker for the developer edition. I don't like fact that the white back isn't soft touch but like that I wouldn't have to worry about losing my warranty by unlocking.

Quote Originally Posted by Infinity View Post
    Debating if I should return my Cyber Monday motomaker for the developer edition. I don't like fact that the white back isn't soft touch but like that I wouldn't have to worry about losing my warranty by unlocking.
    It's too late to return the Cyber Monday purchases unless you are in California.

I would get the Dev Ed if you are in California and can return your motomaker. I HATE the woven white back but I put a case on mine that is soft touch textured black (puregear - it's a great case with a holster!). There also are carbon fiber skins that you can purchase if you don't want to use a case.

Not in California but my my 14th day is tomorrow, so I would need to decide really soon. I usually don't use cases on my phone. So I have to decide between the black soft touch that I like and losing warranty or the woven white which I haven't heard many positive reports on.

Does anyone know if the carriers will match the price (specifically Verizon), or do you have to order one from Motorola directly?

Not in California but my my 14th day is tomorrow, so I would need to decide really soon.
    Wow, they were really late shipping yours!

I usually don't use cases on my phone. So I have to decide between the black soft touch that I like and losing warranty or the woven white which I haven't heard many positive reports on.
    BodyGuardz makes a black carbon fiber skin for the moto x that is nice. It is $20 on amazon. If I didn't go with a case, I would have gotten that.

Moto X 9 off contract this morning-31s9u5dkyhl.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dsw1519 View Post
    Does anyone know if the carriers will match the price (specifically Verizon), or do you have to order one from Motorola directly?
    Verizon NEVER matches prices. NEVER EVER.

Quote Originally Posted by DayThyme View Post
    Wow, they were really late shipping yours!

BodyGuardz makes a black carbon fiber skin for the moto x that is nice. It is $20 on amazon. If I didn't go with a case, I would have gotten that.
    I actually ordered it the day the coupon code expired (12/16), so they got it to me quick. But since then I've thought i probably should have got the developer edition as it's just a matter of time till i root. That bodyguardz looks decent, thanks for the suggestion. Now I just have to decide if keeping the warranty be worth the extra $50. I wonder if the developer edition would have higher resale value down the road...

I actually ordered it the day the coupon code expired (12/16), so they got it to me quick.
    Ah, I see, I thought you were one of the few who actually were able to order on Cyber Monday.

That bodyguardz looks decent, thanks for the suggestion.
    It will look even better on the Dev Eds because they have a black side and black front.

Now I just have to decide if keeping the warranty be worth the extra $50.
    I think it will be.

I wonder if the developer edition would have higher resale value down the road...
    What carrier on you on? If you are on Verizon or ATT you cannot unlock the bootloader on the motomaker Moto X's, only the Dev Eds. If you are on US Celler, TMobile or Sprint, you can unlock the bootloader but it voids your warranty. So if you are Verizon or ATT, it will definitely help with resale value to have a Dev Ed.
    Last edited by DayThyme; 01-01-2014 at 04:29 PM.

First - thanks to everyone for all of the info. I was going to buy the nexus 5 and switch to TMO but I'm concerned about the coverage with them. Now with the off contract price drop of the X, I am know leaning towards getting the X and staying on VZW.

I'm grandfathered with an unlimited data plan with VZW. Does anyone know if I buy the Moto X from Motorola directly, can I just activate the X on my current plan and keep the unlimited data? Also, can I just switch the SIM card from my Droid 4 and put it in the X and use it without needing VZW to activate it?
    DayThyme likes this.

I'm grandfathered with an unlimited data plan with VZW. Does anyone know if I buy the Moto X from Motorola directly, can I just activate the X on my current plan and keep the unlimited data?
    Absolutely. Just select verizon, no contract when you select your phone at motorola.com.

Also, can I just switch the SIM card from my Droid 4 and put it in the X and use it without needing VZW to activate it?
    As long as your Droid 4 has a nano SIM card, yes.

ETA - I just looked it up, the Droid 4 has a micro SIM, so no, you can't swap the SIM card without cutting it down. However, it is not an issue at all with your unlimited data if you buy the moto x off contract. The Verizon moto x comes with a Verizon SIM card. Just log on online and type the IMEI and SIM card number in and the moto x will be activated on your line.

As long as you order it off contract and pay $399 (or $449 for the 32GB model or $499 for the bamboo back), you will not lose unlimited data on Verizon when you activate the phone.
    Thanked by:

^^^^ Thanks Day Thyme. I'm really thinking keeping VZW unlimited data is the way to go because of this phone at this price point. I'm eligible for an upgrade next month, but will lose the unlimited plan and my monthly bill will go up, so I would rather pay the off contract price. Unfortunately I missed the $349 cyber monday deal for this phone.
    bigdaddytee likes this.

^^^^ Thanks Day Thyme. I'm really thinking keeping VZW unlimited data is the way to go because of this phone at this price point. I'm eligible for an upgrade next month, but will lose the unlimited plan and my monthly bill will go up, so I would rather pay the off contract price. Unfortunately I missed the $349 cyber monday deal for this phone.
    Did you see my edit about the Droid 4 having a micro SIM card?

Also, are you on a family share plan? If so, there are ways to use your unlimited data line's upgrade. Check out the verizon forum on AC.

Did you see my edit about the Droid 4 having a micro SIM card?

Also, are you on a family share plan? If so, there are ways to use your unlimited data line's upgrade. Check out the verizon forum on AC.
    I did see that - thanks. I just have a single line unlimited data plan (not family).

I did see that - thanks. I just have a single line unlimited data plan (not family).
    There are posters that claim that if you order an upgrade on your unlimited data line from best buy online, do not select a new plan, and have it shipped to your home, and then swap an already activated SIM card to activate the new device, you keep your unlimited data. You would have to cut down your micro SIM to fit the nano SIM of the Moto X. You can buy SIM cutters on ebay.

There is a poster (otwok) who is currently awaiting his device ordered this way to try it to see if it works for him and promised to report back and let us know. You can follow his posts here:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ver...ml#post3358652

What carrier on you on? If you are on Verizon or ATT you cannot unlock the bootloader on the motomaker Moto X's, only the Dev Eds. If you are on US Celler, TMobile or Sprint, you can unlock the bootloader but it voids your warranty. So if you are Verizon or ATT, it will definitely help with resale value to have a Dev Ed.
    I'm on T-Mobile. What about the white back do you hate? Is it super slippery?

There are posters that claim that if you order an upgrade on your unlimited data line from best buy online, do not select a new plan, and have it shipped to your home, and then swap an already activated SIM card to activate the new device, you keep your unlimited data. You would have to cut down your micro SIM to fit the nano SIM of the Moto X. You can buy SIM cutters on ebay.

There is a poster (otwok) who is currently awaiting his device ordered this way to try it to see if it works for him and promised to report back and let us know. You can follow his posts here:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ver...ml#post3358652
    Thanks for the tip. I will subscribe to his thread. I will most likely still go the off contract way though. I hate being "stuck" with a phone for 2 years, plus when the X replacement comes out I could more easily get one (assuming the off contract price is good).

I'm on T-Mobile. What about the white back do you hate? Is it super slippery?
    No, not slippery although the black woven back one I got for my mom does feel more "grippy".

I posted about my hate for the white woven back here:
    The woven white back of the Moto X Dev Ed is really ugly :(

It is not really textured, just a pattern stamped on the white back. My ATT store has them in store if you want to see them in person. My Verizon store only had the woven black. Obviously, others like the white woven back and chose that for themselves so you may like it to. Best to check it out in person if you can.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast