Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Thinking on installing the google experience launcher on my 4.4 Moto X. thoughts?

Hey all, I am somewhat new to the android world with my moto x being the first android I have used. I am intrigued by the google experience launcher and I'm pretty comfortable with the process on installing it. However once installed does it break the "ok google now" feature of the moto x and do active notification still work? And last question I assume just uninstalling it will restore the original moto x launcher?

Thank for any info. Doug

Default Re: Thinking on installing the google experience launcher on my 4.4 Moto X. thoughts?

The launcher will not respond, something is broken in the kit kat update for the moto x but the touchless control will still work.

If you go into settings and hit home you can freely switch between launchers without uninstalling

-Moto X-
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: Thinking on installing the google experience launcher on my 4.4 Moto X. thoughts?

thanks for the info. looks like I will hold off installing it for now. Maybe ill check out nova or apex launcher in the mean time. Cheers!

I have the Google experience launcher on my moto x and it works flawlessly. I say try it out, if you don't like it you can always uninstall or switch home launchers. Works great on my by nexus 7 as well.

Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:

I've used the GEL from the instant I got my phone a week ago. It works perfectly.

Global Posts
    11 Global Posts

When I had it installed, it drained my battery like crazy after installing Kit Kat. Now that I did a clean install and got rid of the GEL, it's back to amazing battery life.

Just do it! Works great in my experience over the past 2 or 3 weeks.

Works great for me.

Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    ROM
    CND 1.3.3

I've been using it for over a month, no issues with battery. Everything works fine. I came from Nova and have enjoyed GEL quite a bit - haven't switched back.

I tried the GEL on my Moto X and it worked fine and didn't affect battery life, but I found the home screen icons to be cartoonishly large.
    grn4frk and dmark44 like this.

Global Posts
    126 Global Posts

Why not use one of gel launchers in the play store? Works the same with more options.

I have it installed but want to take it off. How do I take it off?

Quote Originally Posted by RM83 View Post
    I have it installed but want to take it off. How do I take it off?

Settings > Home to switch back to the stock launcher, or

Settings > Apps, select Launcher and uninstall. If uninstall is not an option, pick the other Launcher entry and uninstall.

Sent from my Moto X using TapaTalk

I really like the larger icons and google now to the left screen.

ROM
    Virtuous Unity

I was using it for a few weeks but ended up moving back to action launcher. It's nice, but I prefer only 1 homescreen and I couldn't pull that off with GEL

Could someone post a link on how to install the GEL launcher? I also have a nexus 5 and really love the launcher would love to have it on my Moto X

Quote Originally Posted by bbhybridchris View Post
    Could someone post a link on how to install the GEL launcher? I also have a nexus 5 and really love the launcher would love to have it on my Moto X

Backup the apk from your nexus 5 and install it on your moto x. I think someone posted a direct link to the apk on the moto g forum, but if you have the nexus why not just get it from there?

Quote Originally Posted by bbhybridchris View Post
    For starters, there's this website called Google. It allows people to do searches, and it is very helpful for commonly asked questions...
    Anthony_NE likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleMike View Post
    I tried the GEL on my Moto X and it worked fine and didn't affect battery life, but I found the home screen icons to be cartoonishly large.
    Same here. That was the only thing I did not like and the reason I eventually went back to nova.

Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    For starters, there's this website called Google. It allows people to do searches, and it is very helpful for commonly asked questions...
    Honestly what was the point of your post? I know what Google is obviously but seeing as this is a tech site I figured someone in the know could point me in the right direction. As a matter of fact they did and I have already transferred it from my Nexus 5 thanks for the help guys works great!!

dmark44 likes this.

Global Posts
    5,751 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

I've been using GEL exclusively since the 4.4 update rolled and other than a couple of things that I miss about wallpaper re-sizing, etc from Nova, it's been working great. I don't recall the exact process, but I think it was pretty close to as simple as installing the Google Search APK, but I'm not sure that it's not already part of the search app that we have straight from Moto, because I don't have a separate icon for it anymore in my app drawer.

​Obvious statement: Why, I am an assassin 'droid, Master.
    May the Force Be With You

Community Rules & Guidelines​
    (Formerly "NothingIsTrue")

mumfoau likes this.

Maybe we're not all talking about the same thing here? I copied (and installed) GoogleHome.apk directly from a Nexus 5.

Global Posts
    127 Global Posts

For those saying it works great and there are no issues, that is a bit of an overstatement. There is a known issue where the OK Google Voice Commands no longer work under Kit Kat. There are threads on numerous forums about it including XDA, the Moto forums and the Google+ Moto X page. Touchless Controls voice commands work fine so it may not be a big deal to some, but others may find them much slower and more cumbersome to use contextual searches.

Global Posts
    5,751 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Quote Originally Posted by robjulo View Post
    For those saying it works great and there are no issues, that is a bit of an overstatement. There is a known issue where the OK Google Voice Commands no longer work under Kit Kat. There are threads on numerous forums about it including XDA, the Moto forums and the Google+ Moto X page. Touchless Controls voice commands work fine so it may not be a big deal to some, but others may find them much slower and more cumbersome to use contextual searches.
    There were some compatibility issues prior to the 4.4 update, but for almost two months it's been working flawlessly. What's not working? My phone hasn't found out that it's broken yet. It sends texts, places phone calls, checks the weather, retreives scores, appointments, schedules reminders, opens apps and obviously does searches. Do you mean saying, "okay google" from within the search screen? The moto X loses no functionality by using GEL, it just has a couple of conflicts where Moto functionality overrides the launcher. Otherwise I'm not yet clear on what you mean.

​Obvious statement: Why, I am an assassin 'droid, Master.
    May the Force Be With You

Community Rules & Guidelines​
    (Formerly "NothingIsTrue")

mumfoau and techitrucker like this.

Global Posts
    127 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NothingIsTrue View Post
    it just has a couple of conflicts where Moto functionality overrides the launcher. .
    Which is in essence, exactly what I said. Prior to Kit Kat, Touchless Controls did not override the launcher, after Kit Kat, it does, whether by design or a bug. (Look at the mic in the Google Search bar, it is hollow after Kit Kat --- It wasn't before Kit Kat). Again, there are threads about this exact issue on the Moto X forums, the XDA forums and Google+. Matt Jones (who works at Motorola) was looking into the issue.

The main issue is Touchless Controls are slower and you have to say "OK Google Now" each time to do contextual searches.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast