Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Moto X: Signal problems where my Galaxy Nexus had none

My Moto X loses signal at certain indoor places (using the same sim card) where my Galaxy Nexus had no problems like my mom's house and a salsa place I go to. What gives? I thought Motorola is supposed to have good radios.

Posted via Android Central App
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 01-12-2014 at 11:48 PM.

Default Re: Signal problems where my Galaxy Nexus had none

Quote Originally Posted by shinydiscopants View Post
    My Moto X loses signal at certain indoor places (using the same sim card) where my Galaxy Nexus had no problems like my mom's house and a salsa place I go to. What gives? I thought Motorola is supposed to have good radios.

thats hard to believe because Gnexus has literally the worst radio ever in any smartphone.

you are right that Moto X radio is the best out there a the moment.. I would say it might be some bug or maybe faulty radio...
    first, do a factory reset and then if that didnt fix call motorola.

btw, I get amazing reception where my N4 previously failed
    Fancy A Break From Your iPhone? Have an Android Kit Kat
    jephanie likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I hear that a lot about the GNex, but I've never really had signal issues with mine except when when I go snowboarding at Lake Tahoe. I'm on T-Mobile and I think only Verizon gets decent coverage up there.

Possibly it's the sim card? Did you put your Nexus sim card into the Moto X?

Moto X (Ebony wood back, silver accents, black front)
    Previously: Samsung Galaxy Nexus - Droid X - Blackberry Tour 9630 - Dumbphones
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Yes. it's the same sim. I used a sim cutter. Would that matter? I could try having T-Mobile move the number to the new nano sim, I guess.

I'd try getting a replacement SIM and doing a factory reset. I'm on Verizon so my story may be different, but my Moto X blows my Galaxy Nexus out of the water when it comes to reception. I'm getting a strong 4G signal in places where previously I couldn't even get texts to send.
    Current Device: Moto X VZW
    Previous: Galaxy Nexus, HTC Thunderbolt, Motorola Droid
    Before Android: Palm Pre, Blackberry Curve, Blackberry Pearl, iPhone (Original), Sidekick XL

Quote Originally Posted by shinydiscopants View Post
    Yes. it's the same sim. I used a sim cutter. Would that matter? I could try having T-Mobile move the number to the new nano sim, I guess.
    If you cut down a SIM card, I would definitely get a new SIM since you may have damaged the SIM When cutting it down.

Definitely get a new sim. Moto x has excellent radios, something a lot of phones are lacking.

All Moto X's come with a SIM already, right? He said he used his old one instead, so he could just use the new one that came with the Moto X to begin with and have it activated.
    Moto X (Ebony wood back, silver accents, black front)
    Previously: Samsung Galaxy Nexus - Droid X - Blackberry Tour 9630 - Dumbphones

Maybe I am just stupid, but how does a factory reset affect signal? If something is wrong with the radio, how will this change the outcome? I ask because my current signal seems worse than with other phones (-150 dBm) in a good size metropolitan city.

Quote Originally Posted by reversalagent View Post
    Maybe I am just stupid, but how does a factory reset affect signal? If something is wrong with the radio, how will this change the outcome? I ask because my current signal seems worse than with other phones (-150 dBm) in a good size metropolitan city.
    In theory it shouldn't unless you are rooted and flashed different firmware. But it never hurts to restore to factory settings if you are having a problem and then to reinstall apps 1 by 1. Except for the time it takes to do it, of course.

Thanks, I figured for flashing firmwares and such, but not sure how it would affect stock. I just can't figure out if the phone has a bad signal or this is just standard for my area. I need to pull out my older android phone (HTC Rezound) and see what happens.

Global Posts
    14,002 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Thanks, I figured for flashing firmwares and such, but not sure how it would affect stock. I just can't figure out if the phone has a bad signal or this is just standard for my area. I need to pull out my older android phone (HTC Rezound) and see what happens.
    Even stock ROMs can have a cached data conflict that can disrupt the software for the radios that a factory reset may clear up. However, in the OP's case, it is more likely the cut SIM card.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu 'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
    Thanked by:

I just want to apologize. I have not been having great signal with my moto x on verizon and just did a factory reset and it appears the mobile strength is now green, except when I am in the dungeon at work. It appears my signal strength greatly improved from doing a factory reset, but time will tell.
    Golfdriver97 likes this.

I just want to apologize. I have not been having great signal with my moto x on verizon and just did a factory reset and it appears the mobile strength is now green, except when I am in the dungeon at work. It appears my signal strength greatly improved from doing a factory reset, but time will tell.
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Global Posts
    9,134 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

DayThyme likes this.

I get an awesome signal with my Moto X, even at work, where very few people get a decent signal. I get a decent signal inside the elevator too, which is crazy.
    DayThyme likes this.

Global Posts
    14,002 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Has the signal improved?

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu 'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi

Has the signal improved?

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app
    Hard to say due to where I currently am at work, but leaving soon and will be in a different environment. But, when I stepped outside after the reset, the signal numbers were better (~ -110 dBm) and the mobile indicator in the battery area was green, more so than usual.

GolfDriver or anyone who can explain: when one looks at the battery screen and sees the mobile strength indicator in various colors (red, green, yellowish-orange) how exactly is that broken down? Does green mean a good signal within a certain range or just a good connection, etc?

Global Posts
    14,002 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

GolfDriver or anyone who can explain: when one looks at the battery screen and sees the mobile strength indicator in various colors (red, green, yellowish-orange) how exactly is that broken down? Does green mean a good signal within a certain range or just a good connection, etc?
    I think it is a range of the dBm. What the values are, I do not know.
    However, I do know that -60 is about as perfect as it gets, and -120 is crap.

I think it is a range of the dBm. What the values are, I do not know.
    However, I do know that -60 is about as perfect as it gets, and -120 is crap.

Before the reset, the Moto X was around -150 dBm and after the reset is around -120 to -90 dBm. Hence I can't tell for sure if this is normal or a radio issue. As I was driving home and talking, I looked back and it was green. While outside later, it was back to orangish again. I might have to pull out the Rezound and see if it was similar, even though I know they are completely different radios, manufacturers, etc.

Global Posts
    14,002 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Before the reset, the Moto X was around -150 dBm and after the reset is around -120 to -90 dBm. Hence I can't tell for sure if this is normal or a radio issue. As I was driving home and talking, I looked back and it was green. While outside later, it was back to orangish again. I might have to pull out the Rezound and see if it was similar, even though I know they are completely different radios, manufacturers, etc.
    What carrier are you on?

What carrier are you on?
    Verizon, in the Memphis area. Hence this thread I started, but no one replied
    Verizon Moto X in Memphis Area - Signal Related

Global Posts
    14,002 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Verizon, in the Memphis area. Hence this thread I started, but no one replied
    Verizon Moto X in Memphis Area - Signal Related
    Gave a legitimate bump to your thread.

Global Posts
    14,002 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Check out Sensorly .com, and see how your coverage is. If it seems good, I would talk to Verizon about an exchange. The X really is a great device.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast