Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree82Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Why is the Moto X such troll-bait?

It's getting to the point where I need to avoid all comments on any article concerning this phone.
    Why is there such a huge core of people who don't simply love their own phone, but instead have to seek out any chance to get in and say that a price drop is too late, specs aren't what they want to see on paper, it's not the world's best camera, etc.

If you are one of these people, feel free to chime in. Let us all know how many phones you are currently haunting the forums and articles of. Tell us why this phone, seemingly above all others, is deserving of all the attention.
    dj ozone, jephanie and VAYinzer like this.

Default Re: Why is the Moto X such troll-bait?

I would believe it's the same reason you see internet comment fights and fanboy comments for anything. Some people believe their opinion is the only right one and anything that goes against it is wrong and stupid. For them, when the Moto X came out it was instantly a middle-tier phone with a small, low resolution screen that was selling for a flagship price. Considering that specs are what drive many people to buy phones (quad core, 1080p, 5"), the Moto X was immediately a terrible phone.

The key is to recognize negative commenters and learn not to argue with people on the internet.

That said, the Moto X is a better phone than the S4, Nexus 5, iPhone 5S, Droids, Note 2, and HTC One. Come at me bros!
    Thanked by 3:

Quote Originally Posted by TechRaider05 View Post
    I would believe it's the same reason you see internet comment fights and fanboy comments for anything. Some people believe their opinion is the only right one and anything that goes against it is wrong and stupid. For them, when the Moto X came out it was instantly a middle-tier phone with a small, low resolution screen that was selling for a flagship price. Considering that specs are what drive many people to buy phones (quad core, 1080p, 5"), the Moto X was immediately a terrible phone.

The key is to recognize negative commenters and learn not to argue with people on the internet.

That said, the Moto X is a better phone than the S4, Nexus 5, iPhone 5S, Droids, Note 2, and HTC One. Come at me bros!
    Those commentators are not putting any value into ease of use and overall functionality for the users. It is like having a huge house that is super fancy, but the floor plan sucks making a lot of the rooms and square footage unusable.
    jephanie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TechRaider05 View Post
    But, that dual core processor!

/sarcasm
    jephanie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pollster View Post
    It's getting to the point where I need to avoid all comments on any article concerning this phone.
    Why is there such a huge core of people who don't simply love their own phone, but instead have to seek out any chance to get in and say that a price drop is too late, specs aren't what they want to see on paper, it's not the world's best camera, etc.

If you are one of these people, feel free to chime in. Let us all know how many phones you are currently haunting the forums and articles of. Tell us why this phone, seemingly above all others, is deserving of all the attention.
    Where is this happening?
    Thanked by:
    Oofa 

There's some kind of mentality that everyone has that they like their phone and hate everyone else's. I switched from a GS4 to a Moto X and think both are great. The Moto X has the best software and best look and feel of any phone I've ever used, but the GS4 had a better screen and camera. It's all about personal preference.
    Thanked by:
    mattjopete, jephanie and dmark44 like this.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Surely, any of the things these commentators don't like are worse on hundreds and hundreds of phones. How come those are not suffering the same attack?
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,207 Global Posts

probably because specs.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
    Thanked by:
    ultravisitor likes this.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by DayThyme View Post
    Where is this happening?
    Check the front page on Moto X being sold for $399.
    Google Moto X and look for any article with a comments section.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    2,340 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Google Moto X and look for any article with a comments section.
    I hate reading comments, but always seem to get sucked in. Most people like to validate their own purchase, so when someone says that another phone is a really nice phone, they get personally offended. It's ridiculous. I always wonder if that's how they react to all product they buy.

Any phone you buy today would be a solid purchase, iOS and Windows Phone included. It's nice that we have so many choices.
    Thanked by:
    asdrew, bbycrts, dsw1519 and 1 others like this.

I have noticed it too. I have never seen a phone get hated on like Moto X

Under positive tech site Moto X articles read the comments. It is amusing.
    Especially if they say the Moto X is the best phone.

I think it must be the specs. Or that it offers things like always listening that no other phone does.

I am not sure.

Posted via Android Central App
    Ry likes this.
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,207 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NickA View Post
    I hate reading comments, but always seem to get sucked in. Most people like to validate their own purchase, so when someone says that another phone is a really nice phone, they get personally offended. It's ridiculous. I always wonder if that's how they react to all product they buy.

Any phone you buy today would be a solid purchase, iOS and Windows Phone included. It's nice that we have so many choices.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by zobog View Post

I think it must be the specs. Or that it offers things like always listening that no other phone does.

I am not sure.

From what I've seen, it's mostly the specs. A lot of people love to harp on it for its "terrible screen" because it's not 1080p. But when things like usability come up (usually Active Display and Touchless Controls), they are quick to dismiss those things as gimmicks that don't actually add anything to the user experience.

I just did and added comments of my own!

Quote Originally Posted by zobog View Post

I am not sure.

This happens often with a new phone model. The Galaxy S4 seemed to get slammed for plastic, too many features and of course the dreaded lag...at least when it launched. Much of it was from the small but vocal HTC One crowd but it got pretty bad. The mods were always on the S4 boards trying to keep the peace. Running with three phones right now but it is not too long before I go back to my Moto X! The more I use it, the more useful it is!

Not so sure why so many worry about how others spend their money...
    Lumia 925 w/Black, Nexus 5 (32GB), Moto X (32GB), Lumia 1020, Google Edition S4, Galaxy S4 (32GB), S4 Active, Nexus 4, Note 2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note (ATT), Galaxy Note Intl., Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Nexus S, Atrix 2, Atrix, Galaxy S1 Captivate, Nexus 7 (32GB), iPad 4, Dell Venue Pro 8
    and yes...an iPhone 5 too...

Bottom line folks people love to as some mentioned " justify " their purchases. Others simply like to slam a product because of its construction materials or appearance. You can't please everyone no matter how hard you try.

Moto came out with a very unique package here proving that they could make a solid performer with mid to high end components and from what I've been told close to pure vanilla Android experience and do it all for a good price. As we seen with the S4 and HTC One people will flame and troll a device to death, especially if its something they own or had a bad experience with. Sad part that comes from all that is the person reading these threads as a " buyers guide " that often get the wrong impression of the device..

I'm happy to see Moto making an impact in the Android scene again. I love seeing other companies like LG and Sony also making noise because end result is a better product for everyone coming from all the OEM's trying to compete to get your money.

Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

Thanked by 3:
    asdrew, slg1906, dsw1519 and 3 others like this.

Global Posts
    13,914 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

I will weigh in here as well. I own both the X and a Nexus 5. Aside from specialty features that the X has, the two phones are extremely similar. Just yesterday, I got into earshot of my Nexus 5, and said 'OK, Google Now," and for a second wondered why nothing was happening.
    I like the always listening feature, and the active notifications I like, but I can see how people won't like it.
    Both features make the X what it is, and how it stands apart from the rest.

What many people underestimate about the X is while yes, on a spec sheet it is a midrange device, but in reality, it can give the slugger devices a run for their money due to how the hardware was set up for the software.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu 'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
    Thanked by 2:
    petaf, asdrew, mattjopete and 2 others like this.

With most people having the mindset that specs trump usability, the Moto X has more to pick on than most phones in its (now former) price range: fewer cores, smaller screen, lower resolution. Specs are easy to judge from afar, and it makes a lot of people comfortable commenting on and comparing devices they've never handled or even seen. These same people are commenting on the Moto X, even though it's impossible to judge the user experience at a distance - you have to actually use the device for a long enough period of time to allow the experience to influence your usage habits. I've seen very few (if any) people trashing the Moto X after having used it for a week or more.

There are also people who wish their device had some of the Moto X features. Maybe their device has features they're not willing give up in exchange, or maybe they can't convince themselves that their device is better so they try to convince everyone else that the Moto X is worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    What many people underestimate about the X is while yes, on a spec sheet it is a midrange device, but in reality, it can give the slugger devices a run for their money due to how the hardware was set up for the software.
    And they don't like hearing about the fact that their phones with MOAR CORES!!!1!1!1!!!!1 are outshined in any way by what they consider to be a lesser phone.
    mattjopete likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    And they don't like hearing about the fact that their phones with MOAR CORES!!!1!1!1!!!!1 are outshined in any way by what they consider to be a lesser phone.
    In what way are they out shined?

LG G2

Quote Originally Posted by adanick2 View Post

LG G2
    LOL I was expecting someone to hop in to this conversation much earlier... you are not late
    Fancy A Break From Your iPhone? Have an Android Kit Kat

Quote Originally Posted by adanick2 View Post
    Silly me. I was just joking!

Go have fun with your cores! There are just so many of them, especially compared to the Moto X.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul627g View Post
    and from what I've been told close to pure vanilla Android experience
    Coming from a GNex, it is but with the added features of touchless controls, motorola assist and active display. That's what I call Pure Vanilla Android Plus!

And on Verizon - I will never get my OS updates pushed directly from Google without Verizon delaying the process and causing problems so I don't see any advantage to a Nexus on Verizon over the Moto X on Verizon. In fact, Motorola has configured TC, MA and AD as apps so they can bypass Verizon - pretty darn clever of them!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul627g View Post
    I'm happy to see Moto making an impact in the Android scene again. I love seeing other companies like LG and Sony also making noise because end result is a better product for everyone coming from all the OEM's trying to compete to get your money.
    AMEN!

Quote Originally Posted by DayThyme View Post
    In fact, Motorola has configured TC, MA and AD as apps so they can bypass Verizon - pretty darn clever of them!
    And the camera.
    DayThyme likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by still1 View Post
    LOL I was expecting someone to hop in to this conversation much earlier... you are not late
    Yep someone had to! Except I'm not looking to start any arguments though
    I just curious to hear some opinions. I can understand the Moto X performing "as good" as the other high spec phones out there, or close to it, but better? What do you think?
    LG G2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast