Should I get a Motor X?

JobSteves

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Here is some specific info about me that might make it easier for you to help me decide.

OK so, first of all I used to have an HTC one (sold it because I needed the cash) and my fiance has a GS4 so I know a high end smart phone when I see one.

Anyway, I have a nexus 4 and even though I've never actually used one was thinking of getting a moto x because of the active notifications, the size, the way the reviews always say it fits so nice in the hand, feels incredible with the soft touch and has a great battery.

I just held a non working moto x at Walmart and it felt gross in the hand. Good shape yes but the soft touch felt awful in my hand. Also I believe the nexus 4 has some of the best hardware to date (in looks and feel).

So my question is, I know the both have sub par cameras and screen resolutions compared to the competition (even though I'm perfectly happy with 720p on anything under 5"), but is the size, battery life, shape, and extra features (all things reviewers rave about) worth upgrading when the specs of these devices are so close anyway or should I just save my money

PS +1 for overuse of parentheses!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

Foramex

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
Here is some specific info about me that might make it easier for you to help me decide.

OK so, first of all I used to have an HTC one (sold it because I needed the cash) and my fiance has a GS4 so I know a high end smart phone when I see one.

Anyway, I have a nexus 4 and even though I've never actually used one was thinking of getting a moto x because of the active notifications, the size, the way the reviews always say it fits so nice in the hand, feels incredible with the soft touch and has a great battery.

I just held a non working moto x at Walmart and it felt gross in the hand. Good shape yes but the soft touch felt awful in my hand. Also I believe the nexus 4 has some of the best hardware to date (in looks and feel).
I don't think you should judge a phone just by using a non-working one... also I tried a non-working G2 and look at me now.
Using a non-working model doesn't give you that much of an idea about the phone... I would recommend you go and test out a real Moto X, see how that feels and only then make a decision.
So my question is, I know the both have sub par cameras and screen resolutions compared to the competition (even though I'm perfectly happy with 720p on anything under 5"), but is the size, battery life, shape, and extra features (all things reviewers rave about) worth upgrading when the specs of these devices are so close anyway or should I just save my money
The Nexus 4 is of course an out-of-date phone, but it's still a pretty nice handset, and unless it really bothers you I would just stay with the Nexus 4. But if money isn't that much of an issue, then you could get the Moto X since perhaps the specs aren't that much different, the software features on the Moto X change the game.
So basically, I would stay with the Nexus 4 if money is an issue, but if not get the Moto X since it is a pretty good, compact phone.

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Good shape yes but the soft touch felt awful in my hand.
I like the soft touch feel, but of course, it is a matter of personal taste. The motomaker versions allow you to pick smooth touch backs if you don't like the soft touch feel.

but is the size, battery life, shape, and extra features (all things reviewers rave about) worth upgrading when the specs of these devices are so close anyway or should I just save my money
Just get the Nexus 5.

pinke123

Sep 28, 2010
Visit site
I personally think you should stick with the Nexus 4, unless you're really unhappy with it for some reason. I feel your point about the X soft touch as I had the same reaction when I got mine. Comparing it to the One however (which I also own), I must say I am starting to prefer the build on the X, it just feels more solid in the hand while the One feels more like a fine piece of jewelry. In terms of performance the X is a slight half step behind the One but nothing too bad at all. Not quite sure what I would personally do in your situation as I am kind of unpredictable (even to myself) with my phone-buying habits.

Posted via Android Central App

JobSteves

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for all the replies. I'm probably going to stick with the N4 but first I'll go to best buy and see if they have a moto x I can toy around with.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

scrounger

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
If you have a AT&T store nearby, you can check out the Moto X and see & feel the color options you get with MotoMaker.

Posted via Android Central App

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
The way I see it is there are two reasons to get a new phone.

First, if you're on a cell phone plan where you have the opportunity to get a subsided phone. If you're eligible for a subsidy and have not taken advantage of it then you're "paying" for that subsidy in your monthly plan but not taking advantage of it. It might be worth upgrading to get the most for your money.

Second, if your current phone does not meet your current needs. If it's broken, too slow, too small, the battery is shot or it's just not good enough for some reason then it's worth looking at new phones.

If you just want something newer because it's newer then you may want to consider waiting. There's always something better around the corner and you might as well save some money and wait until you fit one of the two scenarios I outlined above.

It sounds like you may have already answered this, but is your battery life bad enough or your phone slow enough that you need something new, or do you just want some new bells and whistles?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20