Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts

Question Do you think the Moto X is future proof?

It's a great phone no doubt in today's world, but what about a year from now? Two years from now? Saw a comment about this today and I was curious to know what y'all thought.

Global Posts
    198 Global Posts

Default Re: Do you think the Moto X is future proof?

Quote Originally Posted by cjohn4043 View Post
    It's a great phone no doubt in today's world, but what about a year from now? Two years from now? Saw a comment about this today and I was curious to know what y'all thought.
    Most phones have about 18 months, but you don't need to worry. It will be ok for next two years :-)
    If not officialy, there will be custom ROMs from communities (like this or XDA Dev).

I think that mobile phones are still improving rapidly, and no phone you can purchase today is future proof. Get something you enjoy using now.
    Ry and bearda like this.

No phone you buy today is going to be future proof. 2 years is a long time.

All of them better suck in two years or I am not upgrading. Moto X will be just as good as anything else. But all phones suck after 2 years.

Much more likely then most phones to get android updates it seems. If that is what you are asking.

And yes I know someone going to post how great there galaxy S2 is running today, etc.

Posted via Android Central App
    dsw1519 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by aspot72 View Post
    Most phones have about 18 months, but you don't need to worry. It will be ok for next two years :-)
    If not officialy, there will be custom ROMs from communities (like this or XDA Dev).
    I hardly doubt Moto X will be supported by xda....

Global Posts
    647 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kolyan2k View Post
    I don't know that I will ever root this phone, but I'm curious as to why you think xda won't support the Moto X?

Sent from my Moto X
    JET4 likes this.

cyanogenmod supports it. there is no greater support than that

Last edited by still1; 01-06-2014 at 12:32 PM.
    Fancy A Break From Your iPhone? Have an Android Kit Kat

Why worry? What features are you concerned about missing?

Moto X came with 4.2.2 which ran fine but KitKat made Android to run on device with low spec and RAM as low as 512 mb

so dont see Moto X getting outdated anytime soon
    Last edited by still1; 01-06-2014 at 12:32 PM.

The human factor is just as important as specs in figuring out if a phone is "future proof" enough for you, and by that I mean your own personality.

How sensitive are you to a bit of lag here and there, or the occasional stutter? If you're easygoing about that, then I definitely wouldn't worry, but if you're the type who doesn't like anything other than silky smooth operation then you'll grow dissatisifed sooner than most people as your aging phone will do its best to cope with leading edge apps and demanding web sites. I think the Moto X will hold its own very well in these situations but a "grass is always greener on the other side of the fence" personality will probably grow dissatisfied sooner.

In my case I'm not too picky about that sort of thing, BUT I'm pretty sure I'll get the 2nd gen Moto X the day it comes out because of my love for ShinyNewToysThatIMustHaveNow. I'm pretty sure the Moto X will be future proof enough to last until then for me!
    Regard all phenomena as dreams...
    johnriii likes this.

Global Posts
    198 Global Posts

I wouldn't worry... Example : my years old HTC HD2 (LEO-released in 2009!!!) running on almost everything and its a "pensioner" already... The Moto X with its spec will have same fate...
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,232 Global Posts

I am not worried.

at all.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
    Thanked by:

This war one of my concerns when deciding between the Moto X and the Nexus 5, but I'd rather risk a little lag here and there in the future than live without Active Display and Touch less Controls for the next year or two.

Sent from my Moto X using TapaTalk

I don't get what's so great about active displays. How is it better than having a multi-colored led to give notifications?

I like the phone well enough, but I wish I could have wireless charging. Boy do I miss that. I was able to buy parts to make my husband's G4 work with a Qi charger, but there doesn't seem to be any good wireless charging for the Moto X.
    Premium1 likes this.

Global Posts
    5,581 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Quote Originally Posted by Puzzlegal View Post
    I don't get what's so great about active displays. How is it better than having a multi-colored led to give notifications?

I like the phone well enough, but I wish I could have wireless charging. Boy do I miss that. I was able to buy parts to make my husband's G4 work with a Qi charger, but there doesn't seem to be any good wireless charging for the Moto X.
    It's something that varies from person to person. I think it's really cool, as opposed to a boring flashing light

Posted via Android Central App
    Everything in this post is 100% accurate...I think

R.I.P. Motorola...and what could have been the best smartphone line ever

Global Posts
    76 Global Posts

No phone with an embedded and non-replaceable battery is truly "future proof". Its useful lifetime will be no longer than the battery lifetime.

Yes, I have seen the videos showing how to replace the Moto X battery but A) it is not simple and B) so far, no one has actually detailed where you get the replacement battery. Does Motorola sell them to end users?

Paul
    sixty_four likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by cwbcpa View Post
    I don't know that I will ever root this phone, but I'm curious as to why you think xda won't support the Moto X?

Sent from my Moto X
    Because phone has been released in August 2013 and almost 5 month later there is still no active development on XDA. (compared to Galaxy series, Nexus, or other HTC devices that I used) All kernel developers said NO to Moto X

Quote Originally Posted by still1 View Post
    cyanogenmod supports it. there is no greater support than that

Its bugged and actually removes features that make Moto X good.

If I wanted dev friendly phone, Moto X would be the LAST on my list so far I only rely on Motorola team to provide me with updates. I have high hopes for Jan/Feb release of 4.4.2 along with camera update. If they fail, I will get N5 instead.
    Last edited by kolyan2k; 01-06-2014 at 09:37 PM.

If you have a missed text, a missed call and an email and your multi-colored LED is blinking, can you touch the LED and see previews of the text and the email and see who called so you can decide which, if any, of those you want to respond to right away and which ones can wait?
    I customized my signature using Motomaker
    A895 likes this.

actually removes features that make Moto X good.
    like what?? tell me one example

Quote Originally Posted by cwbcpa View Post

Sent from my Moto X
    Because phone has been released in August 2013 and almost 5 month later there is still no active development on XDA. (compared to Galaxy series, Nexus, or other HTC devices that I used) All kernel developers said NO to Moto X
    dont know where you look in xda but any thread that starts with [ROM] are ROMs

No activity for ROM... u must be kidding me.. check the link there are hundreds of ROM

With the LED notification, you have to light up the entire screen in order to get the details of the notification (type of notification, message sender, preview of contents, etc.). Even simply dismissing a notification requires you to turn on the entire screen. Turning on the screen over and over again wastes battery life. You can use an outside app light Light Flow in order to get better notifications, but you still won't get as much as you will with Active Display. Active Display will only light up enough of the screen to give you those details, which is one of the reasons the Moto X gets such good battery life.
    Thanked by:

like what?? tell me one example
    Touchless controls, active notifications, Motorola connect

dont know where you look in xda but any thread that starts with [ROM] are ROMs

No activity for ROM... u must be kidding me.. check the link there are hundreds of ROM
    there are 5 ROMs (your math is off by 95) on 1st page, 2nd page has ROMs are not active anymore and are 1-2 months old (only 3 pages in 5 month too). Out of 5 ROMs on 1st page, 2 are CM based with CM bugs(CM bugs + moto bugs....speaker, camera, youtube bugs), and 3 other ROMs are stock with addition of root and added/removed apps.

Perhaps we have a different vision of what "development" is. For me development is custom kernel with ton of features, custom screen colors, battery improvements, camera mods/tweaks, ability to run latest Android OS (ported to device), Stable CM, AOKP releases, etc....< in 5 month none of this landed on MX and none of this will in near future (or ever)

PS. CM for MX looks like on "test" builds not "nightlies", while N5 builds are popping daily. And I obviously dont blame the devs, its just the phone is not interesting to them and only available in USA
    Last edited by kolyan2k; 01-06-2014 at 11:26 PM.

Touchless controls, active notifications, Motorola connect
    here is your comment "Its bugged and actually removes features that make Moto X good."

actually removes feature?? i asked give an example and you said Touchless controls, active notifications, Motorola connect

dont understand how those features are removed.. its still there
    Thanked by:
    ttfn92 

here is your comment "Its bugged and actually removes features that make Moto X good."

actually removes feature?? i asked give an example and you said Touchless controls, active notifications, Motorola connect

dont understand how those features are removed.. its still there

"That said, the files are available from the CyanogenMod website and the handsets are listed as xt1060 (Verizon Wireless), xt1058 (AT&T) and xt1053 (T-Mobile). These all measure in at slightly under 193MB in size and you will also want to grab the latest GApps package for flashing in addition to Cyanogen. Touching back on the regular Moto X software and those going the Cyanogen route will lose a few features.

The Moto X comes with a few Motorola specifics such as Active Notifications and Voice Control. The notifications bit simply means users can see what has come in without fully unlocking their phone. While it sounds simple, it has really proven to be rather useful. The Voice Control means voice access, again without even having to wake or unlock your phone.

The catch is, these are two of the more highly touted features of the Moto X and neither will be include with these CyanogenMod ROMs. But again, having some options is always nice and while we like both of these features, there are likely some who can live without them."

"That said, the files are available from the CyanogenMod website and the handsets are listed as xt1060 (Verizon Wireless), xt1058 (AT&T) and xt1053 (T-Mobile). These all measure in at slightly under 193MB in size and you will also want to grab the latest GApps package for flashing in addition to Cyanogen. Touching back on the regular Moto X software and those going the Cyanogen route will lose a few features.

The Moto X comes with a few Motorola specifics such as Active Notifications and Voice Control. The notifications bit simply means users can see what has come in without fully unlocking their phone. While it sounds simple, it has really proven to be rather useful. The Voice Control means voice access, again without even having to wake or unlock your phone.

The catch is, these are two of the more highly touted features of the Moto X and neither will be include with these CyanogenMod ROMs. But again, having some options is always nice and while we like both of these features, there are likely some who can live without them."
    alright you and I are definitely not in the same page.. forget about it I was talking about something else and you seem to reply about something else
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast