Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By ultravisitor
  • 1 Post By Golfdriver97
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Moto X to replace my iPod nano...

Hey gang,

So I would like to finally ditch my iPod & iTunes for full Google Play solution. (I know it's tough)

What I am looking to do is buy a Jaybird Freedom. Pair it with my Moto X for all my listening needs. This would free up cords during my intense lifts/training (I play hockey) and I'd be locked into paying $10 a month for my Play music subscription.

Just wanted to hear your thoughts on that.

(Hoping in the future Google introduces a way to burn CD's then I'd without hesitation uninstall iTunes)

Thanks!

Posted via Moto X (VZ)

Default Re: Moto X to replace my iPod nano...

Sounds like a good plan. Do you have unlimited data? If you're relying on mobile data to stream Google Music All Access, you can use a lot of data very quickly. If your gym has wifi, then no problem.

What do you mean by Google introducing a way to burn CDs? Are you talking about wanting to make your own CDs from All Access? Or ripping CDs and uploading the music to Google Music?
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Yes I've got unlimited data.

I mean making a playlist of songs from my personal library (purchases, uploads, etc) and creating audio CDs for my car. Not making them off any song from all access, that would be nice though!!

Posted via Moto X (VZ)

Quote Originally Posted by kakos26 View Post
    Hey gang,

So I would like to finally ditch my iPod & iTunes for full Google Play solution. (I know it's tough)

What I am looking to do is buy a Jaybird Freedom. Pair it with my Moto X for all my listening needs. This would free up cords during my intense lifts/training (I play hockey) and I'd be locked into paying $10 a month for my Play music subscription.

Just wanted to hear your thoughts on that.

(Hoping in the future Google introduces a way to burn CD's then I'd without hesitation uninstall iTunes)

Thanks!

Posted via Moto X (VZ)
    My thoughts? I would prefer to use a less expensive, more durable device for workouts or contact sports like hockey (I don't play, but wish I could!). I realize it's a pain managing 2 data sources, but I would be much more worried about my ~$500 phone and its relatively fragile touchscreen than I would about a $150 nano.

I ride motorcycles and when I feel like listening to tunes, I don't use my phone but just a cheapo $30 MP3 player and some decent wired earbuds. Unfortunately, there's no Bluetooth option with this player like the nano but it does the job.

Quote Originally Posted by sixty_four View Post
    I would be much more worried about my ~$500 phone and its relatively fragile touchscreen than I would about a $150 nano.
    But if the phone stayed in the gym bag, and the bag was out of harm's way, then there's less chance of damaging the phone. Not sure what the Bluetooth range of the Jaybird Freedom is, but presumably he could work out and listen to music without the phone being physically on him.

Global Posts
    6,613 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    But if the phone stayed in the gym bag, and the bag was out of harm's way, then there's less chance of damaging the phone. Not sure what the Bluetooth range of the Jaybird Freedom is, but presumably he could work out and listen to music without the phone being physically on him.
    Agreed. Not sure how good of a source the Moto X is but he could also get the Moto G for a lot less than the X. I don't think spending $400 solely on a music player is a good idea

Posted via Android Central App
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    Good point.

I was just thinking about my usage habits. I personally like having my phone and BT devices as close as possible. Drop-outs and pitch deviations are really annoying and I'd rather listen to nothing rather than something over a flaky connection.

You do realize there are other programs for managing music, right? Just choose one of those and uninstall iTunes.
    Thanked by:
    kakos26 and tr-1 like this.

Global Posts
    17,369 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

I don't really see anything wrong with what you are trying to do. However, I would counter suggest uploading your music to Play, on the X creating Playlists, and for streaming different music, try Pandora. Free version let's you listen to I think 30 or 40 hours per month.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
    Thanked by:
    kakos26 likes this.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Yes you are right ultravisitor (would still like just Google to incorporate it) but not much of a hassle. So golfdriver, you think it's the right thing for me to upload on Google play, my music and create playlists for my X; while using pandora as a streamer. (would save me $10 monthly)

So golfdriver, you think it's the right thing for me to upload on Google play, my music and create playlists for my X; while using pandora as a streamer. (would save me $10 monthly)
    Personally, I don't think that's as good of a solution, as with Google Play you can specifically search for and add specific albums (and songs) to your collection and choose those to stream and/or add to your device and/or create playlists out of. Basically, you have Google's entire collection at your disposal. You can pick and choose directly from it.

With Pandora, you're at their mercy for the most part as to what you will be listening to. That's why Pandora, to me, is garbage. I don't want something to tell me what to like or listen to; I know what I like and want to listen to.
    Thanked by:

Google Music All Access has a one month free trial period, so you can certainly try it before you buy it!
    Thanked by:
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    Personally, I don't think that's as good of a solution, as with Google Play you can specifically search for and add specific albums (and songs) to your collection and choose those to stream and/or add to your device and/or create playlists out of. Basically, you have Google's entire collection at your disposal. You can pick and choose directly from it.

With Pandora, you're at their mercy for the most part as to what you will be listening to. That's why Pandora, to me, is garbage. I don't want something to tell me what to like or listen to; I know what I like and want to listen to.
    Yeah I agree. I've been on the free trial which ends on 1/9/14, so I may go for it. $10 is not bad for listening to what I want to hear, while making my own playlists, etc. Thanks for the suggestions all!