Moto X: Idle battery drain

anon(8312128)

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
Re: Idle battery drain

Location Reporting is different from simply having an app have access to your Location Services. Location Reporting will periodically report your location back to Google, where it's stored and used for things like Google Offers and sharing your location with friends in Google+. Google is somewhat vague in describing how it's used on their support page, but I know for sure it isn't necessary for apps to know where you are.

https://support.google.com/gmm/answer/3118687?hl=en

Great info ... thank you. I'll start with turning off Location Reporting and see if that makes a difference. I've also got GSam Battery running and I'll dig into that and see if it tells me anything. I also went directly into the Facebook app and changed the refresh interval from every 30 min to every 4 hours. I suppose I could just turn off the refresh entirely, though. I wonder if that Facebook refresh thing is a big culprit. I'm also going to start paying attention to the Words with Friends app and see what it's doing.

Do you think texts and GMail are a battery hog with the phone at idle?

- - - Updated - - -

Do you have the chromecast app installed by chance?

Posted via Android Central App

Nope. Should I avoid it?

Postoid

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site

Just a thought...maybe you have too many sync's going on. I found a bunch of apps that were syncing with Google that I didn't know about and didn't need syncing.
Go to Settings>Accounts>Google>tap your google account. That should show you a list of things sync'd with Google. App data, calendar, etc..Uncheck the ones you don't use or wish to have Google sync. I had a bunch I didn't need so ended up with Gmail, Google+ and Apps data. All the rest I un-checked. Good luck!

anon(8312128)

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site

Just a thought...maybe you have too many sync's going on. I found a bunch of apps that were syncing with Google that I didn't know about and didn't need syncing.
Go to Settings>Accounts>Google>tap your google account. That should show you a list of things sync'd with Google. App data, calendar, etc..Uncheck the ones you don't use or wish to have Google sync. I had a bunch I didn't need so ended up with Gmail, Google+ and Apps data. All the rest I un-checked. Good luck!

Interesting. Low and behold there are 12 things in there that are checkmarked. Not sure what "App Data" does ... ? Is it safe to uncheck that one? Things like GMail, Contacts, and Calendar, I have to leave those checked because I want those things to sync. But I definitely found that most of these don't need to sync.

Oh, also ... what is "People details"?

**** nevermind, a simple Google search and I found out about App data and People details. Forgive my laziness :)

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I think App Data sync is for backing up various app data to your Google account, as designated in the Settings/Backup & Restore menu.

People Details is likely all of the information for your Contacts--I'd keep that synced.

I keep the Facebook app set to manual refresh. It's easy enough for me to swipe down to refresh, and it will always refresh once automatically upon opening the app.

anon(8312128)

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site

I think App Data sync is for backing up various app data to your Google account, as designated in the Settings/Backup & Restore menu.

People Details is likely all of the information for your Contacts--I'd keep that synced.

I keep the Facebook app set to manual refresh. It's easy enough for me to swipe down to refresh, and it will always refresh once automatically upon opening the app.

It just dawned on me, but why in the world would I need Facebook to automatically refresh when I'm not using it?? This seems kinda silly. I changed it to refresh "never". That's an easy one there! Especially considering, like you said, the app refreshes once you open it!

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

It just dawned on me, but why in the world would I need Facebook to automatically refresh when I'm not using it?? This seems kinda silly. I changed it to refresh "never". That's an easy one there! Especially considering, like you said, the app refreshes once you open it!

Yeah, I have everything set to manual. Otherwise I'm constantly getting notifications for stuff I don't need. Should help with the drain. Let us know how it goes :)

anon(8312128)

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site

So, I've been running GSam Battery app since yesterday evening. Gave it until this morning to gather some data. Went into "view kernel wakelocks" and alarm_rtc is showing at the top of the list. Does this mean anything, or is this a normal reading?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-01-12-08-23-33.png
    Screenshot_2014-01-12-08-23-33.png
    147.5 KB · Views: 54

Tom in Bristol

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site

So, I've been running GSam Battery app since yesterday evening. Gave it until this morning to gather some data. Went into "view kernel wakelocks" and alarm_rtc is showing at the top of the list. Does this mean anything, or is this a normal reading?

It's not necessarily 'abnormal'...here's a decent link for a description of alarm_rtc and a lot of info to help you with all kinds of battery analysis.

Battery Drain? Wakelocks?Find out what is using your battery when sleeping | Android Does

HTH.

knitsewmuch

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Mine was working fine. Even after the kitkat update, then all of the sudden it started getting really bad yesterday. It finished charging at 10am and by 4pm was down to 60% with virtually no use. I only checked the weather a couple of times and looked at my texts once or twice.

I've only installed one or two apps. And I haven't even gotten around to doing much or setting up much on the phone yet. I do live in a very rural area though with poor signal. And because of that I usually stay on WiFi when I'm at home (for my email and web browsing). Does searching for signal and/or WiFi have a major effect on battery life? Is there anything else I can do?

I'm pretty bummed because I was really excited about the good battery life with this phone and now it looks like I'm going to have to charge once or twice a day just like I did with my electrify2. And I am a very light user so I just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

effreyj

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
I was having the same issue where the battery was draining and I did 3 things to solve it:

1) turned of location reporting
2) went into multiple apps and turned off "use location" -- you would be surprised how many apps that you would never think would need location use it (I even turned it off in my weather app and set the location manually there)
3) turned off facebook notifications (I'm fine manually refreshing this app)

Now my battery easily lasts 24 hours, and before it was a struggle to get it to last about 16.

knitsewmuch

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Still can't figure out what is going on. I have location reporting off, and I haven't even installed Facebook. In fact, the only app I have installed so far is a weather app.

At first it was saying Android OS was using the most battery. I did a reboot and now it keeps showing that the screen is using 60%, and everything else is very low percentages. My phone is mostly idle. Any ideas?

effreyj

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
If you go into the Developer Options menu and then click on Process Stats, you can see what's using the most CPU. That will give you a good indication of what is using the battery.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Still can't figure out what is going on. I have location reporting off, and I haven't even installed Facebook. In fact, the only app I have installed so far is a weather app.

At first it was saying Android OS was using the most battery. I did a reboot and now it keeps showing that the screen is using 60%, and everything else is very low percentages. My phone is mostly idle. Any ideas?
That's a good thing. That means that the phone is only using up the battery when the screen is on. The OS and Google services aren't keeping the phone awake

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I did a reboot and now it keeps showing that the screen is using 60%, and everything else is very low percentages. My phone is mostly idle. Any ideas?

The 60% doesn't really mean much unless we know how much battery has actually been used. What was your battery level at when you saw this figure? If the battery was at 95%, that means the screen was responsible for 3% of the total battery usage.

omlette1

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
Hey, just wondering did you figure out a fix? I have had my phone for about a month and a half and the battery life is terrible. I've tried it twice where I check the phone after 8 hours of sleep and I always lose 30% if the phone isn't plugged in. Do you guys think that it could be a faulty battery? My phone never lasts longer than max 13 or 14 hours and it constantly drains. I always close an app after I use it too so I don't get why its bad.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hey, just wondering did you figure out a fix? I have had my phone for about a month and a half and the battery life is terrible. I've tried it twice where I check the phone after 8 hours of sleep and I always lose 30% if the phone isn't plugged in. Do you guys think that it could be a faulty battery? My phone never lasts longer than max 13 or 14 hours and it constantly drains. I always close an app after I use it too so I don't get why its bad.

Welcome to Android Central! Just to clarify, you do have a Moto X, correct?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy