Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By ericizzy1
  • 1 Post By Ry
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    681 Global Posts
    ROM
    Carbon Rom

Default Moto X: Will Motorola continue to push quick updates?

It was a miracle to all of us when moto managed to deliver the kitkat update in 3 weeks after its announcement. The moto x even got kitkat before the nexus 4. My question is if Motorola can continue to deliver these quick updates. I really hope they can, as I love the moto x. What do you guys think?

Posted via Android Central App
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 01-12-2014 at 03:36 PM.

Default Re: Will Motorola continue to push quick updates?

Considering what Rick Osterloh said in the Gizmodo interview, I think yes. Quick updates seem to be a goal of theirs, so they'll probably continue on that front.

What ultravisitor said. And I believe that will be one of Moto's goals in future phones. They said that stock Android has made it to the point where it doesn't really need to be improved upon to be a great experience, aside from the few little obvious things that they've added. And this also affords them the ability for quick upgrades. Not to mention that KitKat (and we can assume future builds, too, to an extent) was made to run on phones with as little as 512mb of RAM.

Global Posts
    334 Global Posts

The question is will the carriers continue to play? 4.4.2 release doesn't help Verizon users who can't use exchange email if Verizon waits 6 months.

Global Posts
    691 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

4.4 came to Verizon first so just to think Verizon will wait 6 months to update this phone again is a little bit too much. I think whenever 4.4.2 is ready for this phone we will get it.

@workMakin$

im on verizon with 4.2.2 on this phone and it rocks.
    i tried kitkat,and i didnt think kitkat was worth losing my exchange email, so i reverted back to 4.2.2 and im happy
    Oofa likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by elvisgp View Post
    It was a miracle to all of us when moto managed to deliver the kitkat update in 3 weeks after its announcement. The moto x even got kitkat before the nexus 4. My question is if Motorola can continue to deliver these quick updates. I really hope they can, as I love the moto x. What do you guys think?

according to Rick Osterloh, Senior Vice President of Product at Motorola Mobility, YES

GIZ: You managed to get KitKat out really quickly on Verizon. That's probably the number one complaint we hear from Android users: Updates take forever. That's why among the hardcore contingent the Nexus program is so popular. How did you manage to cut through the red tape, because I know a lot of that delay is on the carriers.

RO: It took a lot of partnership, and Verizon was a great partner in doing this. First off, because of our software strategy, we're able to do this quickly. Number two, we heard from users, they want fast upgrades. We've heard that loud and clear, so it's our aim to deliver those. And three, this is a big focus for software for us, and we pursued it and got it done first with Verizon but we also pursued it with our other channel partners as well. So it's now available on AT&T, Sprint, and other places too. This is a key focus for us, and I think you can expect this from us in the future.
    A Droid Apart: Motorola's Rick Osterloh on Google, Moto, and More
    Fancy A Break From Your iPhone? Have an Android Kit Kat

Quote Originally Posted by ericizzy1 View Post
    i tried kitkat,and i didnt think kitkat was worth losing my exchange email, so i reverted back to 4.2.2 and im happy
    How did you lose exchange email? I'm genuinely curious as my school email runs through exchange and I have it on my Moto X on KitKat.

Posted via VZW Moto X on the Android Central App
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    681 Global Posts
    ROM
    Carbon Rom

Quote Originally Posted by ericizzy1 View Post
    I'm not having any problems with exchange on my moto x. My school email also runs through exchange and it seems to work fine.

Global Posts
    334 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AaronDeVante View Post
    How did you lose exchange email? I'm genuinely curious as my school email runs through exchange and I have it on my Moto X on KitKat.

4.4 has a known bug where exchange will stop syncing but keep your phone awake draining the battery.

Quote Originally Posted by Clocks View Post
    4.4 has a known bug where exchange will stop syncing but keep your phone awake draining the battery.
    Must not a a common one, never had any issues with battery drain with anything.

Ry

Global Posts
    7,838 Global Posts

Default Re: Moto X: Will Motorola continue to push quick updates?

Motorola has set that expectation and providing fast updates is something that they want to do to further differentiate themselves from other OEMs. I expect the Moto X to receive the next updates (4.5? 5.0?) rather quickly.

a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KTU84P, KitKat 4.4.4)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,838 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Clocks View Post
    The question is will the carriers continue to play? 4.4.2 release doesn't help Verizon users who can't use exchange email if Verizon waits 6 months.
    It starts with Motorola. Verizon can't do anything if Motorola isn't working on a 4.4.2 update for the Verizon Moto X.

a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

bigcatman likes this.

Global Posts
    7,364 Global Posts
    ROM
    Nexus(AOKP-jb_4.2.1)

It would be great if they did continue to push out updates pretty quick for the Moto X .As long as they test it (with soak testers too),since releasing a very buggy update will just have people complaining alot.
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,838 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by davidnc View Post
    It would be great if they did continue to push out updates pretty quick for the Moto X .As long as they test it (with soak testers too),since releasing a very buggy update will just have people complaining alot.
    Current soak tests are pretty much final software.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo

I agree, my work email syncs using Exchange, no issues with sync and no battery drain issues...
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,838 Global Posts

I assume you have en Exchange account syncing using the stock email app?
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo

ROM
    Viper

The real question is for how long...

I can imagine that as soon as the X2(or whatever) comes out the X will be put on the back burner. Now this could mean the X is a few weeks behind the X2 with updates, or a few months. I believe that they will be much more timely that anything android has seen before for carrier phones, but i can see the butthurt posts coming the first time the X takes 2+ months for a major version update on all carriers. 2 months up until now has been very timely, but Moto has a set a new precedent. One they will have to continue to match or suffer the wrath of the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by still1 View Post
    Originally Posted by elvisgp

according to Rick Osterloh, Senior Vice President of Product at Motorola Mobility, YES

GIZ: You managed to get KitKat out really quickly on Verizon. That's probably the number one complaint we hear from Android users: Updates take forever. That's why among the hardcore contingent the Nexus program is so popular. How did you manage to cut through the red tape, because I know a lot of that delay is on the carriers.

RO: It took a lot of partnership, and Verizon was a great partner in doing this. First off, because of our software strategy, we're able to do this quickly. Number two, we heard from users, they want fast upgrades. We've heard that loud and clear, so it's our aim to deliver those. And three, this is a big focus for software for us, and we pursued it and got it done first with Verizon but we also pursued it with our other channel partners as well. So it's now available on AT&T, Sprint, and other places too. This is a key focus for us, and I think you can expect this from us in the future.
    A Droid Apart: Motorola's Rick Osterloh on Google, Moto, and More
    Not saying he is wrong, but VP is not going to say they are going to not do something users like in an interview. It is like insulting the person with a gun to your head. Just not smart. Plus i am completely convinced that the interview with the moto engineer that claimed moto did not get android updates early was a complete lie. There is no way they could have gotten 4.4 coded with all the optimizations/extras/bloat AND through verizon's testing process in 2 weeks. Google is obviously giving moto early access in order to try and pressure the other OEM's into more timely(and less modified) updates.
    Galaxy S3(unlocked on whatever I feel like flashing) ---- Asus Tf300(unlocked on CROMI)
    Htc Rezound(s-off on ViperRez) -- Addicted to crack and retired

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    I assume you have en Exchange account syncing using the stock email app?
    Yup

Global Posts
    334 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NoYankees44 View Post
    The real question is for how long...

I can imagine that as soon as the X2(or whatever) comes out the X will be put on the back burner. Now this could mean the X is a few weeks behind the X2 with updates, or a few months. I believe that they will be much more timely that anything android has seen before for carrier phones, but i can see the butthurt posts coming the first time the X takes 2+ months for a major version update on all carriers. 2 months up until now has been very timely, but Moto has a set a new precedent. One they will have to continue to match or suffer the wrath of the internet.

Not saying he is wrong, but VP is not going to say they are going to not do something users like in an interview. It is like insulting the person with a gun to your head. Just not smart. Plus i am completely convinced that the interview with the moto engineer that claimed moto did not get android updates early was a complete lie. There is no way they could have gotten 4.4 coded with all the optimizations/extras/bloat AND through verizon's testing process in 2 weeks. Google is obviously giving moto early access in order to try and pressure the other OEM's into more timely(and less modified) updates.
    I thought all manufacturers got the code before release to the public.