1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    133 Global Posts

Default ROM Flashing Question

Hi guys,

I'm quite sure this is a noob question and I apologize in advance because I've tried to find the answer.

I just got my developer edition Moto X yesterday and got it rooted last night. This is the first rooted phone that I've had that does not have an external SD card and I'm wondering if there is a way to partition the internal storage so that all of my data doesn't get erased when I do a factory reset. Is that even necessary?

Thanks in advance!

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: ROM Flashing Question

I'd find out if there's already an SD partition. It wouldn't surprise me if there was. There was one on the Galaxy Nexus, which also didn't support external SD.
    Thanked by:

Why don't you install a custom recovery and do a Nandroid backup? Save that backup in your PC in case you need to restore it. I think that's how people normally backup their data.
    Thanked by:
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    133 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Alex View Post
    Why don't you install a custom recovery and do a Nandroid backup? Save that backup in your PC in case you need to restore it. I think that's how people normally backup their data.
    The data that I would keep on the external card was things like music, pictures, movies, etc.

I use Titanium Backup to back up app data and of course Nandroids for the ROMs themselves.

5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    133 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    I'd find out if there's already an SD partition. It wouldn't surprise me if there was. There was one on the Galaxy Nexus, which also didn't support external SD.
    Thanks Ultra!

When I look at the file explorer in the recovery there is a folder marked SD Card. Would that be it? If so, I would just put data files that I don't want to erase during a factory reset into that folder?

Quote Originally Posted by Scotlac View Post
    Thanks Ultra!

When I look at the file explorer in the recovery there is a folder marked SD Card. Would that be it? If so, I would just put data files that I don't want to erase during a factory reset into that folder?
    Yeah, that's likely it.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Scotlac View Post
    Hi guys,

I'm quite sure this is a noob question and I apologize in advance because I've tried to find the answer.

I just got my developer edition Moto X yesterday and got it rooted last night. This is the first rooted phone that I've had that does not have an external SD card and I'm wondering if there is a way to partition the internal storage so that all of my data doesn't get erased when I do a factory reset. Is that even necessary?

Thanks in advance!

No its not, your pics/music/etc will not be erased when you wipe data/cache when flashing a Rom with TWRP. You choose factory reset in TWRP and This example screen tells you its not wiping internal data unless you choose that option as well.

Personally I don't think the X needs a Rom, I use Xposed with Gravity Box module which includes most of the mods roms have without losing the Motorola software tweaks.
    Thanked by:
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    133 Global Posts

Thanks Biker!

I discovered Xposed and Gravity Box a few hours ago and I absolutely agree! It would have to be something special to make me want to flash a new ROM.