Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By pjo1966
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    23 Global Posts

Default Moto X: Motorola Assist Update adds "Voice Reply"

Sweet! I've been wanting this option from the start. You can now use "voice reply" in the car while driving instead of using that default pre-canned message to reply to people while driving. I don't condone texting while driving, but having this option for a quick reply is a great addition.You can find it under the "Talk to me" section for Driving in the Assist app.

- It also added improved driving detection. bug fixes and will launch your favorite music app now too.
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 01-14-2014 at 09:53 AM.
    Thanked by:
    asdrew 

Global Posts
    111 Global Posts

Default Re: Motorola Assist Update adds "Voice Reply"

I updated mine at lunch. When I got in my car it it went into driving mode as soon as BlueTooth connected. Very nice.
    SandroidE likes this.

Still won't work properly for me. Messages won't play over Bluetooth and telling it to reply just sends it back to the desktop.

Posted via Android Central App

I still don't get this. How does auto-launching the music app help? You still have to press a button to turn the radio on. Without Assist, I hit aux and it automatically starts bt audio. Either way, one press. Also, does anyone else wish it would read out your reply to confirm before sending, rather than displaying it on the screen? I thought the point was to minimize distractions.

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by techitrucker View Post
    Still won't work properly for me. Messages won't play over Bluetooth and telling it to reply just sends it back to the desktop.

Yes this annoys me to no end.

Me too. That's why I went back to 4.2.2. I'll try 4.4 again if they ever fix this.

Global Posts
    647 Global Posts

Default Re: Moto X: Motorola Assist Update adds "Voice Reply"

Had a whole texting conversation today without touching the phone. It was great. Worked perfectly.

Global Posts
    111 Global Posts

Since the update my phone doesn't announce texts out loud. The graphic comes up to say "listen". When I say listen it obviously hears me and starts playing the message. I just can't hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by pjo1966 View Post
    When I say listen it obviously hears me and starts playing the message. I just can't hear it.
    Did u turn up the volume from ur phone all the way when the BT connected?

Thats what I had to do.
    ~ Still Waters Run Deep ~

Global Posts
    111 Global Posts

Volume was already all the way up. It works fine when I'm listening to the Sirius app on my phone. If I'm listening to my car's FM radio and see the phone is asking if I want to read a message aloud, I'll switch over to the AUX input and I won't be able to hear a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by kcalmol View Post
    I still don't get this. How does auto-launching the music app help? You still have to press a button to turn the radio on. Without Assist, I hit aux and it automatically starts bt audio.
    I only listen to sources from my phone in the car, rarely use CDs or the Radio, so I don't end up having to press any buttons, it's always set to Aux or Bluetooth when I start the car. So it's quite a handy feature for me.

I just leave my phone in my pocket and it connects via bluetooth and starts playing pretty quickly once I get going (within a minute or so). What surprised me is that it only starts playing music if I have my aux cord plugged into the Moto X's headphone jack, or am connected to my stereo via bluetooth. Seems that Motorola correctly assumes that I don't want to listen to music in the car via the phones built in speaker. In that case, if it isn't plugged in or connected to bluetooth, Google play music still opens (does not unlock/wake screen) but it stays dormant. I only notice because when I unlock my phone after getting out of a taxi, it opens to the music app and not the home screen. This has proven to be really handy, as it does not start playing music when I'm a passenger. Would be mildly annoying to get in a friends car or a taxi and have my X pick up where I left off in my obnoxious playlist.

Other Moto assist functions seem to be working fine for me. Can answer calls/respond to texts with voice. I do not have it set to read text messages aloud, but all the other touchless controls, assist and bluetooth functions work as expected with my aftermarket Sony head unit.
    Current Device: Moto X VZW
    Previous: Galaxy Nexus, HTC Thunderbolt, Motorola Droid
    Before Android: Palm Pre, Blackberry Curve, Blackberry Pearl, iPhone (Original), Sidekick XL
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Global Posts
    23 Global Posts

I do love the feature. I did notice something that I'm not sure if it's just me or others are noticing this too?......Please chime in.

I use "Hangouts" as the default SMS app and completely disabled the "Messages" app in App settings on the phone. Now when a SMS/text message comes in while I'm driving it announces the text and works as intended for the Assist app and I can reply and so on. However when a IM / chat (G-Talk) message from Hangouts comes in it doesn't do anything even though they are both coming through the same app which is "Hangouts". So Assist doesn't work. I found this odd and noticed it as I have a different sound for SMS messages and another sound for IM/chat (G-Talk) message within the "Hangouts" app. I hope this makes sense as I can see where I could loose people on what I'm talking about.
    Anyone else notice this?

Who ever said that Assist would work with instant messages? Did Motorola say it would? Or, are you assuming it would?

Sent from my moto x using Tapatalk
    Palm Treo 650 > Treo 700p > BB Curve 8330 > DInc (r) > Rezound (r) > custom Moto X
    Transformer Pad Infinity (r CROMi-X)

assist doesnt work with hangouts (yet?) but maybe soon because i was wondering the same thing when i started experiencing the same. but its ok.