Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree13Likes

Global Posts
    13,868 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Default Re: Any way to close all open/active apps at once? Maybe a 1 button toggle or something? ..

Quote Originally Posted by westiewanderer View Post
    what rom are you running here if you dont mind me asking?
    Stock Sprint. I have Xposed Framework installed with the Gravity Box module that allows me to make this change.

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here
    Thanked by:
    westiewanderer likes this.

Default Re: Any way to close all open/active apps at once? Maybe a 1 button toggle or something? ..

very cool! Gonna have to tweak my sense five toolbox now...lol
    ~ Still Waters Run Deep ~

Default Re: Moto X: Any way to close all open/active apps at once? Maybe a 1 button toggle or something? ..

Quote Originally Posted by NothingIsTrue View Post
    Killing apps just to kill them, etc, is definitely not good unless they're misbehaving. Android does manage this fairly effectively on an as needed basis. Removing things from your recent apps by swiping them should not adversely effect performance, and it does not act as a "force close" to swipe them away.

Force closing apps is what is bad, not closing apps. Realistically, unless you're troubleshooting a specific problem, there isn't much of a need to micromanage (or manually manage at all) your running applications.

That is entirely separate from the recent tasks interface, for which there are apps and fixes as mentioned for those that modify their devices. The way I get around this is by filling my dock bar with 4 folders that contain almost everything that I use my device for, so going to the app drawer and the recent apps button is minimized by just knowing which folder the app I want is in.
    With due respect, do you have any Android documentation to support this? The conversation I linked to on G+ from an Android dev seems to say the opposite - that swiping away apps in the recent list does a soft-kill of the process and sends it an onTaskRemoved notification for the app to determine whether to re-launch the background tasks (reference: )

I ask not in a pedantic way, but with the point that any killing of a task with an app means that you will suffer additional power drain on re-launch of that app vs keeping it in the background active.

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Not always.
    Quote Originally Posted by ShoelerDroid View Post
    With respect, yes it does.

Since we're in the Moto X forums, that is. All Android 4+ devices with a dedicated app switch button will kill the app and restart its background process.
    hope this clear things up a bit

Fancy A Break From Your iPhone? Have an Android Kit Kat
    davidnc likes this.

Global Posts
    5,746 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Default Re: Moto X: Any way to close all open/active apps at once? Maybe a 1 button toggle or something? ..

Quote Originally Posted by ShoelerDroid View Post
    With due respect, do you have any Android documentation to support this? The conversation I linked to on G+ from an Android dev seems to say the opposite - that swiping away apps in the recent list does a soft-kill of the process and sends it an onTaskRemoved notification for the app to determine whether to re-launch the background tasks (reference: )

I ask not in a pedantic way, but with the point that any killing of a task with an app means that you will suffer additional power drain on re-launch of that app vs keeping it in the background active.
    I don't see anything in your post or the link that disagrees with what I said. We seem to all agree that the recent apps list does not force close an app the same way that a task killer is, and thus is lighter on the system than using a task killer or hitting the force stop button would be.

​Obvious statement: Why, I am an assassin 'droid, Master.
    May the Force Be With You

Community Rules & Guidelines​
    (Formerly "NothingIsTrue")

Global Posts
    6,689 Global Posts
    ROM
    Nexus(AOKP-jb_4.2.1)

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    And on my Moto X, when I open up Play Music and play a song, swipe away the app in the recents app screen, the music is still playing. Therefore, not completely killed.
    LoL thats one of the ones it doesn't kill
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #57  

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Quinn View Post
    If there's twenty windows open that means you use twenty apps. I get that they get in the way sometimes, but it sounds like it's doing exactly what it's designed to do. Not trying to argue really.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    So i'm trying to not close anything as an experiment, now my question is, so do you leave every single app you've ever opened, open?
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,921 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by paisley99 View Post
    So i'm trying to not close anything as an experiment, now my question is, so do you leave every single app you've ever opened, open?
    Yes I do. I don't swipe anything away. That doesn't mean every single app is kept in memory, though. The way Android memory management works is that when memory is need the oldest app is kicked out of memory. So there's still a possibility that the app will completely reload when you go to it from the recent app list. I would say (and this is a guess) that I've never actually reopened an app from the recent app list that was more than 10 apps "old".

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.
    Thanked by:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123