Email question for new Moto X owner

Jaingo5150

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Let me start by saying that I am referring to the email account app, not gmail, yahoo, or otherwise. My email is a primary msn account from several decades ago for our family and is set up manually. I am having no problems sending or receiving. My problem is now in deleting the trash box in one fell swoop.

My recently retired RAZR Maxx had the bonus of static buttons on bottom that one allowed you to "select all" when selecting items to delete in your trash. I find myself unable to do this anymore, so help would be awesome. I'm unable to find this particular topic in the forums, so I thought I'd reach out.

Thanks in advance.

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited by a moderator:

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Re: Email question for new MX owner

Who is your email provider and how do you have it configured with the email app? I don't see one on mine for Outlook.com. However I have it set on the server side to delete trashed messages after a week. It may be provider dependent.

anon(6267988)

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site

I haven't found a way to mass delete emails with a select all feature. You have to select each by pressing it for a couple of seconds. Very annoying. Hopefully a future update will alleviate manually deleting one by one.

Posted via my Moto X

louisstone

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
How about a third party app like K-9 mail?

One long press on the mailbox and 'Empty Trash' comes right up.

And you can select multiple messages for deletion.
--
Somebody, somewhere, right now is stuffing Twinkies in their shorts.

Jaingo5150

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site

Using an msn account setup manually as pop3. I have it set to never delete as not to delete the emails until the wife does on the laptop. That way we both have access to everything.

I remember my droid x had this problem, and I was ecstatic when I could select all on the RAZR maxx. I guess the static buttons for pulling up options were a luxury. I'm sad now..

Posted via Android Central App

Sophos

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

I haven't found a way to mass delete emails with a select all feature. You have to select each by pressing it for a couple of seconds. Very annoying. Hopefully a future update will alleviate manually deleting one by one.

Posted via my Moto X

I'm still looking for a way to "select all" but you don't have to long press to select each message, a simple tap on the large icon next to each message will select it. Not a solution bit certainly faster than a two second press on each email.

I play with my food

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

I use K-9 and you do have the option to select all to delete emails.I dont have gmail even synced to my phone.I just use my computer regular pop3 email( it uses outlook express) .
I set it up and linked it to Gmail using computer so now there is no reason to have 2 email apps on phone, since it would just be duplicate emails.
I have been using K 9- mail for a few years now over the other email app that on the phone.
I thought it had the option for select all when deleting emails too. though

kellygh5

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site

I came to this forum to ask the same question as the original poster. I'm coming from the HTC DNA, and while I love the size of the moto x, there are a few features of the DNA (RAZR Maxx before that) that I really miss! I didn't expect to lose convenience with my "upgrade," and I find not being able to delete all extremely annoying. I hate having to use an app for a feature that seems like a no-brainer. Sigh...

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

I came to this forum to ask the same question as the original poster. I'm coming from the HTC DNA, and while I love the size of the moto x, there are a few features of the DNA (RAZR Maxx before that) that I really miss! I didn't expect to lose convenience with my "upgrade," and I find not being able to delete all extremely annoying. I hate having to use an app for a feature that seems like a no-brainer. Sigh...

As I mentioned tho in my post above:
I think the stock email app you can "delete all".I'm not talking about the gmail app the other email app you can set up for pop3 mail.
If that would does what you want then there is no need to install a 3rd party app.

Also I dont think you are the OP of this thread

kellygh5

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site

Yes, I'm using the stock email app. No delete all from trash. It's our primary family email, so it gets significantly more emails/trash than my gmail; therefore, it annoys me a lot more than gmail. Irksome enough that I will have to give k-9 a whirl or consider going back to the DNA if I can't get some decent pics out of the camera as well. Thank you for the feedback, davidnc!