Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Patrick Schroedl
  • 2 Post By rap1
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    72 Global Posts

Default Motomaker Carrier Unlocked version questions

My son is looking at Moto X 32GB Carrier Unlocked. I think I know the answers to my questions but want to verify:

1. Will this work on all T-mobile & AT&T bands/frequencies including LTE and HPSA 42 and other slower ones? He would be using it with prepaid. Probably initially with Air Voice $10 plan but switching to a t-mobile plan with data this fall for college. It may depend on who has good coverage in the college town.
    2. Will it work with Sprint (I think the answer is no). I like having that flexibility with Nexus 5 even if I never need it.
    3. Can it be bootloader unlocked & rooted?
    4. Any reason to get the developer edition over the regular motomaker carrier unlocked version?
    5. Any disadvantages of choosing this over the Nexus 5. There is a possibility he'll do some android development later but not definitely.

Thanks for the help. The frequencies stuff still is hard for me to keep track of.
    Rap - Nexus 5, Nexus 7

Default Re: Motomaker Carrier Unlocked version questions

Quote Originally Posted by rap1 View Post
    My son is looking at Moto X 32GB Carrier Unlocked. I think I know the answers to my questions but want to verify:

1. Will this work on all T-mobile & AT&T bands/frequencies including LTE and HPSA 42 and other slower ones? He would be using it with prepaid. Probably initially with Air Voice $10 plan but switching to a t-mobile plan with data this fall for college. It may depend on who has good coverage in the college town.
    2. Will it work with Sprint (I think the answer is no). I like having that flexibility with Nexus 5 even if I never need it.
    3. Can it be bootloader unlocked & rooted?
    4. Any reason to get the developer edition over the regular motomaker carrier unlocked version?
    5. Any disadvantages of choosing this over the Nexus 5. There is a possibility he'll do some android development later but not definitely.

Thanks for the help. The frequencies stuff still is hard for me to keep track of.
    Rap - Nexus 5, Nexus 7
    1) I'm not sure but I THINK you'll get HSPA+ and LTE on AT&T and HSPA+ in the T-Mobile refarmed( converted) markets But that's the case with most T-mobile phones these days
    2) Nope there's no CDMA radio in the phone which is needed for voice
    3) yes
    4) If you go with the dev edition, you lose motomaker but gain the unlockable bootloader without voiding the warranty. The Dev edition GSM and the T-Mobile are the same device internally.
    5) The reviews I've read say the choice between N5 and Moto X is a difficult one. Development wise, both phones run KitKat. However, the processor on the N5, the Snapdragon 800 is faster and more mainstream than the Moto X X8.
    Thanked by:
    rap1 

Additional, he will probably like the form factor of the Moto X possibly better than the Nexus 5, and be less prone to drop it.

The Moto X has a few nice software features not on the Nexus 5.

The Nexus 5 gets updates first for 18 months.

The Nexus 5 has more Dev support.

The Nexus 5 has a gorgeous big screen (he may, though, think it looks "washed out" depending on what he's used to).

The Nexus 5 will be faster longer.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
    rap1 

As the Moto X is very close to stock Android in terms of software, your son should be no worse off with the Moto X than with a Nexus 5 for app development. The other answers to your questions look pretty solid. It's hard to give a recommendation either way because it's a close match; the two devices have their edge in different ways.
    Thanked by:
    rap1 
    mrsmumbles likes this.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    72 Global Posts

I think he is going to get the Moto X Dev. Ed. Convinced him that it was better to have the flexibility of being able to unlock the bootloader without loss of warranty than to have the Motomaker custom design. He does like the feel of it in hand better both the slightly rounded back and slightly smaller. He also likes the touchless controls. I went back and forth too on which one to get before settling on the N5.

I think he is going to get the Moto X Dev. Ed. Convinced him that it was better to have the flexibility of being able to unlock the bootloader without loss of warranty than to have the Motomaker custom design. He does like the feel of it in hand better both the slightly rounded back and slightly smaller. He also likes the touchless controls. I went back and forth too on which one to get before settling on the N5.
    Glad to hear it, enjoy the phones.
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,207 Global Posts

By development, do you mean ROM development or app development?

Posted via Android Central App
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    72 Global Posts

App development