Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Why are so many people saying the Moto X isn't selling?

I have noticed recently that alot of people on android sites are saying the moto x isnt selling and thats why theybare dropping their prices and offring such great deals in the moto x. However, in reality motorola, after not releasing anthying pretty much besides their razr devices on vzw, jumped to be the third leading smartphone supplier in the US according to comscore:
    ()
    I for one am glad motorola is doing well and offering exceptional products at a affordable price, I cant stop reccomending the motox and moto g to iphone switchers and android upgraders. I thought I woukd just share the facts with everyone so they wouldnt be fooled like I was into thinking mototola wasnt selling well.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    5,535 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Default Re: why is everyone saying the moto x isnt selling??

Quote Originally Posted by Mac58 View Post
    I have noticed recently that alot of people on android sites are saying the moto x isnt selling and thats why theybare dropping their prices and offring such great deals in the moto x. However, in reality motorola, after not releasing anthying pretty much besides their razr devices on vzw, jumped to be the third leading smartphone supplier in the US according to comscore:
    ()
    I for one am glad motorola is doing well and offering exceptional products at a affordable price, I cant stop reccomending the motox and moto g to iphone switchers and android upgraders. I thought I woukd just share the facts with everyone so they wouldnt be fooled like I was into thinking mototola wasnt selling well.
    It's probably because it doesn't sell much in comparison to other flagships. Hopefully that changes if Moto keeps doing what they're doing with their next crop of phones comes out

Posted via Android Central App
    Everything in this post is 100% accurate...I think

R.I.P. Motorola...and what could have been the best smartphone line ever
    Patrick Schroedl and A895 like this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    It's probably because it doesn't sell much in comparison to other flagships. Hopefully that changes if Moto keeps doing what they're doing with their next crop of phones comes out

When u say other flagships u mean samsung products? Because according to the link I provided and this interview, () it IS selling better than other flagships.

I think people are overblowing the price drops as bad news, but I think it's great for the consumer and to really get the Moto X out in the open. Motorola did make a few mistakes in marketing and selling the Moto X upon release:
    -- They should have released Motomaker on ALL carriers, not as an AT&T exclusive
    -- They should have released it a few months before the release of the new iPhone, not less than a month before the 5S
    -- They should have had wood backs from the start
    -- They should have marketed it a whole lot more in the beginning

I can somewhat understand the slow rollout possibly due to the fact that custom phone design has never really done before, so they were playing it safe. But at the same time, they could have hit a home run in sales if they released all the options at once to all carriers, and marketed it heavily. It is a top 2013 phone according to most Android and general tech sites, so I don't see why it couldn't have been a huge hit.
    Moto X (Olive Green, Black front, Orange accents (Dec. 2013)
    Previously: Samsung Galaxy Nexus (Dec. 2011) - Droid X (July 2010) - Blackberry Tour 9630 (July 2009) - Dumbphones (pre-July 2009)
    Mac58 likes this.
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,186 Global Posts

Default Re: Why are so many people saying the Moto X isn't selling?

Also..

Factoring in what really happened in the third quarter - US launch, late August, Motomaker exclusive to only one carrier, marketing push came later - number isn't surprising but it's probably an overreaction.

a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    Also..

Factoring in what really happened in the third quarter - US launch, late August, Motomaker exclusive to only one carrier, marketing push came later - number isn't surprising but it's probably an overreaction.

I saw this as well, but it was a 'report' with no stats to back it up so I chalked it up to a rumor becuase I dont see how they can only ship 500,000 and be 3rd in US, though all of your pounts are valid.

You're right, Ry...those are really stale numbers from Verge, mid November article and Verge will always be less than enthusiastic about Moto and Android in general. Woodside's comments at the recent CES to Pocket Lint are much more positive.

It's good that Moto now sees the importance of the segment of the market that doesn't want subsidized phones...more pressure on carriers, too.

Global Posts
    5,535 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Quote Originally Posted by Mac58 View Post
    When u say other flagships u mean samsung products? Because according to the link I provided and this interview, () it IS selling better than other flagships.
    Their market share increased. Doesn't mean they sell more, just means more people are converting to Moto than there are to Apple/Samsung. Still, all the people who were with those companies are going to stay there. And that's more than the number who are converting

Everything in this post is 100% accurate...I think

R.I.P. Motorola...and what could have been the best smartphone line ever

I will say the low pricing is helping. I never really gave the Moto X a look until i saw an offer for the 32gb for free. After using it, I really like this handset and for me it is the best android phone right now.
    Thanked by:

Should help that its been released over sea's now...hopefully it's not too little too late.

a small at&t store at the mall (corporate location, not reseller) had taken it off display when I went to look at it. they did have one i could play with, but had to ask.

They're saying that because the Moto X numbers pale in comparison to the number of units sold by Apple and Samsung in the days following the release of one of their new updated flagship phones. They sell millions and Moto sells hundreds of thousands. However, I think this was part of the plan with the Moto X rollout. Moto took a big risk by introducing a game changer phone that focused more on user experience and useful features than continuing the spec wars and adding gimmicky UI skins/features. It started out being sold to a limited market (US only) and the Motomaker feature was exclusive to AT&T initially, but I think these were probably good decisions as they were developing an entirely new manufacturing and distribution network from their new US-based facility in Fort Worth, TX and had to get it up to speed. If they had tried to sell globally with Motomaker from the start, they likely would have fallen flat on their face and received all kinds of negative publicity. As it is, they seem to be receiving more and more positive publicity in trade and customer reviews as more people actually get them in their hands and live with the Moto X (and Moto G) and aggressive promotions and pricing played a part in doing that. The real test will come over the next year or two as Moto updates to the Moto X2 or whatever the X's successor is called. Then we'll begin to see if Moto has been successful with their strategy or not. I'm hoping they succeed!

I think Google has been whispering in the Motorola ear saying "Aim for second let the rest fight over 1st and you will do just fine". I would also bet that the Moto X & G are alot cheaper to produce making the price drops happen without a major hit to profits. To be realistic it is not cheap to develop all those useless features Samsung sinks all their research into.

Global Posts
    943 Global Posts

Maybe if they sold more, that would help.

ROM
    KK 4.4.2

Quote Originally Posted by greg_atlanta View Post
    a small at&t store at the mall (corporate location, not reseller) had taken it off display when I went to look at it. they did have one i could play with, but had to ask.
    That's interesting, because an AT&T store I visited in a strip mall last week still had a huge Motomaker display set up prominently in the middle of the store (although they had not updated it to reflect that Motomaker is no longer exclusive to AT&T). Small stores are going to tailor their offerings to the local market, as they don't have room to do so otherwise. The larger stores however will likely keep everything in place.

I have yet to see a Moto X in the wild, but then again I've also only ever seen one other Nexus 4 in the wild outside of my own (two, if you include the guy who claimed to have one but "didn't have it on him"). I've only ever seen one HTC One as well, and only a handful of Samsung Galaxy S4s. I see tons of iPhones. None of this means the Moto X, HTC One, and Samsung S4 don't sell, it just means in my particular market everyone loves iPhones. It's all perception, and when you have articles like that Verge article reporting Moto "only" sold 500K phones with no context, then the perception will be that it isn't selling very well.

What Moto has done is create a ton of good will. Between a phone that's been almost universally praised in the tech press, releasing a good quality and unbelievably cheap sibling, pushing customization, and getting updates out at an unheard of speed, they've become the scrappy, likeable underdogs of the Android world. I owned a Moto Photon 4G, and once swore off another Moto phone after they abandoned it. Now I constantly tell myself, "No, you don't need a new Moto X no matter how cool it is, your Nexus 4 works just fine." That's some pretty effective marketing right there, and if the X's successor is as well received as the original, my next phone will almost certainly be one. I think that will be the case for a lot of people waiting for their contracts to come up and/or happy to wait a half year for the next X, and I believe the successor's sales will far surpass those of the X thanks to the groundwork laid by the original.
    dmark44 and sharkita like this.

Everything I've seen and read suggests that everything important about Moto X has gone according to plan. The only people suggesting otherwise do not have even Motorola's track record for success, much less Google's.

I'm sure they haven't sold as many Moto X's simply for the fact that up until now it has been a U.S. only product. Even with the addition of parts of Europe it still leaves out a lot of countries and all of Asia and South America. Meanwhile Samsung and Apples are everywhere, so yeah...they don't sell as many......yet. That will change over time.
    If I wanted limits on what I could do with a device, I would have an iPhone!
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,186 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tom in Bristol View Post
    You're right, Ry...those are really stale numbers from Verge, mid November article and Verge will always be less than enthusiastic about Moto and Android in general. Woodside's comments at the recent CES to Pocket Lint are much more positive.

It's good that Moto now sees the importance of the segment of the market that doesn't want subsidized phones...more pressure on carriers, too.
    I'm very curious to see the Q4 numbers.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Tom in Bristol likes this.

Global Posts
    452 Global Posts

I just hope they sell enough to make money or break even so they keep producing phones. I figure as long as they are around the break even point Google won't pull the plug.

Haters

Mac58, Ry and jephanie like this.
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,186 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JoeNM84 View Post
    I just hope they sell enough to make money or break even so they keep producing phones. I figure as long as they are around the break even point Google won't pull the plug.
    That really depends on Google. If they're not turning a profit, Motorola could get hit with some Spring Cleaning. Not saying it's likely. I think Google is content to let Motorola do what they need to do right now and in the near term.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo

Moto sold 500,000 in about 5 weeks (end of August, all of September). Annualized, that's almost 6,000,000 units if they could keep that pace going. Keep in mind, though, that they are just now getting to the point of selling it outside of the U.S. and Canada. Also keep in mind that Moto's market share with a very limited portfolio of devices is higher than HTC's, who had a jump start on Moto with the all-carrier flagship and a longer reputation outside of Verizon.

I think too many people try to compare Motorola to Samsung or Apple when it seems Motorola basically got rebooted by Google and is really more of a start-up than an established player. I, too, am curious to hear what their 4th quarter numbers look like. And as stated by others, if they can continue to build on the momentum they established here, 2014 will only get better for them.

A couple of points to consider as well:
    -- They should have released Motomaker on ALL carriers, not as an AT&T exclusive
    -- They should have released it a few months before the release of the new iPhone, not less than a month before the 5S
    -- They should have had wood backs from the start
    -- They should have marketed it a whole lot more in the beginning
    -- The Motomaker exclusivity was likely a two-fold issue: 1) A desire to ensure the production system could operate efficiently to handle broader carrier availability and 2) AT&T likely paid a nice bonus to Moto to get the exclusivity
    -- R&D, supply chain management and contracting dictates your release timing; competitors can have a secondary impact to it but they certainly don't dictate your own release timing. If so, it could have cost Motorola millions more in faster (or delayed) timing.
    -- This was a mistake in my view simply because they were trying to brag about something that was clearly not ready. They were trying to make a splash; and it worked. But they probably could have waited to announce the natural backs when they were ready. That could have made the same splash. Lesson learned, methinks.
    -- Advertising is a tricky beast. You can spend too much too soon or too little too late. The balance needed to be struck is between the sprint and the marathon. I've seen a lot of advertisements for the X since it was launched, so I don't know that I can say they did well or poorly here. Any guess would be purely subjective on my part.

Motorola is in a sweet spot.
    They have killer products, low expectations, word of mouth building and deep pockets.
    As previously stated: they are like a startup, almost.
    Think Google is doing it correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by jephanie View Post
    Moto sold 500,000 in about 5 weeks (end of August, all of September). Annualized, that's almost 6,000,000 units if they could keep that pace going. Keep in mind, though, that they are just now getting to the point of selling it outside of the U.S. and Canada. Also keep in mind that Moto's market share with a very limited portfolio of devices is higher than HTC's, who had a jump start on Moto with the all-carrier flagship and a longer reputation outside of Verizon.

I think too many people try to compare Motorola to Samsung or Apple when it seems Motorola basically got rebooted by Google and is really more of a start-up than an established player. I, too, am curious to hear what their 4th quarter numbers look like. And as stated by others, if they can continue to build on the momentum they established here, 2014 will only get better for them.

A couple of points to consider as well:

-- The Motomaker exclusivity was likely a two-fold issue: 1) A desire to ensure the production system could operate efficiently to handle broader carrier availability and 2) AT&T likely paid a nice bonus to Moto to get the exclusivity
    -- R&D, supply chain management and contracting dictates your release timing; competitors can have a secondary impact to it but they certainly don't dictate your own release timing. If so, it could have cost Motorola millions more in faster (or delayed) timing.
    -- This was a mistake in my view simply because they were trying to brag about something that was clearly not ready. They were trying to make a splash; and it worked. But they probably could have waited to announce the natural backs when they were ready. That could have made the same splash. Lesson learned, methinks.
    -- Advertising is a tricky beast. You can spend too much too soon or too little too late. The balance needed to be struck is between the sprint and the marathon. I've seen a lot of advertisements for the X since it was launched, so I don't know that I can say they did well or poorly here. Any guess would be purely subjective on my part.
    I pretty much agree with everything you've said, and I certainly don't claim to know the ins and outs of the phone production process. Just some observations I've noticed.
    -- Sure AT&T paid Motorola a nice exclusivity bonus, but sometimes exclusivity is a two edged sword. Is it worth losing customers in other providers to the iPhone 5S or the S4? I have a few friends that were intrigued with a custom Moto X on its initial release, but chose other phones because Moto Maker wasn't available for Verizon initially.
    -- True that manufacturing and contracts can dictate release dates, but companies do seriously consider release dates of competitors and other factors, such as the holiday season. That's why most flagship phones are released in different parts of the year (e.g. HTC One in March, Galaxy S4 in May, Droid line in August, iPhone in September, etc). Hopefully with the next Moto X, it won't be so close to Apple's iPhone announcement and release.
    -- It seemed like advertising only picked up after AT&T's Moto Maker exclusivity ended in November, although that's a personal observation based on ads I've seen (and not seen).

Otherwise I think Motorola has done great so far with Google at the helm. 2013 was a good year for Google to turn Motorola around, and they certainly have made a great product in the Moto X. They seem to be moving up and I look forward to the next Moto X.
    Moto X (Olive Green, Black front, Orange accents (Dec. 2013)
    Previously: Samsung Galaxy Nexus (Dec. 2011) - Droid X (July 2010) - Blackberry Tour 9630 (July 2009) - Dumbphones (pre-July 2009)
    jephanie likes this.

Global Posts
    5,723 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    I would also bet that the Moto X & G are alot cheaper to produce making the price drops happen without a major hit to profits. To be realistic it is not cheap to develop all those useless features Samsung sinks all their research into.
    The X for sure is right around the same price as a Galaxy S4 and a iPhone to produce (iPhone is the cheapest of those three), and I'm under the impression that the Moto G is about 50-60% of the cost of the X, so based on the retail prices and BOM costs alone (so we're not factoring in a LOT of prices) the X is slightly more profitable if bought directly from Moto.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Coyote View Post
    What Moto has done is create a ton of good will. Between a phone that's been almost universally praised in the tech press, releasing a good quality and unbelievably cheap sibling, pushing customization, and getting updates out at an unheard of speed, they've become the scrappy, likeable underdogs of the Android world.
    Restarting the brand is incredibly important and nailing the best device of 2013, one that Android nerds appreciate as much as, if not more than the Nexus in many cases, is HUGE. It takes time for word of mouth to gain traction, but Moto's advertising, price strategy and attention to detail on build quality is exactly what is needed to help push awareness while the slow organic growth of company interaction takes place. People know who Samsung and Apple are and buy them because of the names and because of habit. This is important, because it is not because of quality products. Even unhappy, many people will buy the annual update to their own device because of familiarity. Moto, LG and HTC are all doing a great job of getting people to try new things, but Moto's initial velocity and accuracy in this regard seems to be of a much higher caliber.

​Obvious statement: Why, I am an assassin 'droid, Master.
    May the Force Be With You

Community Rules & Guidelines​
    (Formerly "NothingIsTrue")

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast