Surrendered my Moto X to have T-mobile pay ETF... I have a Nexus 5, man do I miss my Moto X

KHWong0425

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
So my family and I all were on AT&T.

My parents and my brother are already off contract, i was the only one with some 20 months left over.

for the sake of saving some monthly cost for the whole family, we all moved over to T-mobile this weekend.

I had to surrender my Moto in order for T-Mobile to honor the "break up" strategy

From the view of owning a phone, considering T-Mobile give me the ability to break ETF, and 173 dollars towards a new device,

the cost looks great, and pretty much a discount of paying for a Nexus 5 for 223 dollars pretax.

having used the Nexus 5 for the weekend, I will say, its everything I've come to expect for a stock device. its stable, and of course no real issues.

The only thing going for it from my perspective is its screen is brighter, but a bit washed out compared to my Moto X. Speed wise for a day to day user; I see almost no difference in performance for the applications. Ergonomic wise, the Moto X feels so much better in hand compared to the N5.

but I have to say, I miss the twist twist camera motion, and active notifications. I know its nuts, as the Moto X is pretty much half way through its cycle... But seriously just those two things alone from my user preference, I am heavily considering to sell the N5 just to buy an out of contract Moto X. I knew I was going to miss my Moto X; but I didn't think it would hit me this fast... but to save some money upfront from service contracts for my family was the key to why i had to bit the bullet... and T-Mo doesn't honor the Moto X as a new handset from their line of android phones.

but i thought i'd share some thoughts on the after life of a Moto X user. Moto and Google really have made a good device, even the Nexus flagship in this case has nothing over the Moto X due to the software offerings paired up with a nearly 4.4kit kat experience.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Tough choices! Well, there's a reason why the Moto X and the Nexus 5 top so many "best of" lists. Did the twist-to-turn-on camera feature on your X work consistently? I read from some posters that it could be a little inconsistent. With the N5, at least you can access the camera quickly from the lockscreen. For me, I've gotten so used to larger screens that the X's screen actually seemed a little small when I played around with it.

alphabets

Nov 23, 2009
Visit site
Tough choices! Well, there's a reason why the Moto X and the Nexus 5 top so many "best of" lists. Did the twist-to-turn-on camera feature on your X work consistently? I read from some posters that it could be a little inconsistent. With the N5, at least you can access the camera quickly from the lockscreen. For me, I've gotten so used to larger screens that the X's screen actually seemed a little small when I played around with it.
The wrist camera feature always works perfectly for me. No issues whatsoever. As for the screen size, I was coming froma 4.3'' HTC Rezound, and not only is the screen bigger, but the phone itself is soo much smaller. It's the best of both worlds. I probably wouldn't mind a 5'' screen, but it's not worth it to me to give up the size and form factor of the X, and the screen on the X is plenty big enough I have found.

kansasandroid1

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
My family and I have been considering leaving Verizon for TMobile. I really don't want to give up my Moto X and not be able to get another one when I go to TMobile. I have barely had the phone for a month since I bought it during one of the $350 off contract sales. I love the phone but I would be saving a lot of money switching from Verizon so I am still completely unsure of what to do.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
T-Mobile offers the Moto X, can't you just return the Nexus and get the Moto?

Does T-Mobile actually sell it in their stores, or is it that you can buy it from Moto and then plug a SIM in from T-Mobile? In order for them to cover your ETF, you have to get a phone directly through T-Mobile, and from what I can see on their website, the X isn't offered directly through them.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
My family and I have been considering leaving Verizon for TMobile. I really don't want to give up my Moto X and not be able to get another one when I go to TMobile. I have barely had the phone for a month since I bought it during one of the $350 off contract sales. I love the phone but I would be saving a lot of money switching from Verizon so I am still completely unsure of what to do.

Have you found out what your early termination fee would be? How far along are you with your VZW contract? If you're almost at the end, the fee won't be too bad. I had to pay $140 with 2 months left, so I just ate it, because letting the contract run out would have cost more. I had already made the switch, having bought an N5 from Google, so I wasn't eligible for the ETF coverage.

Chase Lilly

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site

If you bought your Moto X off contract what are you on contract for? Seems like you would have to trade in the phone you had a contract for not your Moto X.

kansasandroid1

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
If you bought your Moto X off contract what are you on contract for? Seems like you would have to trade in the phone you had a contract for not your Moto X.
My current situation is that my contract expires in March with Verizon and the rest of my family is on contract for much longer. My old phone is a Droid DNA which I haven't sold yet. I have wondered if I can turn that into T-Mobile instead of the Moto X if that would work. The Nexus 5 seems like an awesome phone as well so I'm not sure what I should do.

imurrx

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
I was checking out Tmobile and you need to buy an unlocked GSM Moto X and you can bring it there.

I checked out the N5 this weekend. One of my friends had it. It is not that bigger than the Moto X and the screen is nice. I could go with either phone, but the Moto X still wins for the following reasons:
  • Slightly smaller form factor
  • Active notifications
  • Open mic
  • Motorola Assistant
  • 720p screen instead of 1080 for less battery usage.

This is what I liked about the Nexus 5:
  • Larger screen and not that large in hand
  • pure stock Android
  • Metal case and rugged feel

My only wish for now for the Moto X is to have an easier way to root. I have been apprehensive to root it for now.

jlgraham

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Did the twist-to-turn-on camera feature on your X work consistently? I read from some posters that it could be a little inconsistent.

The twist to camera feature works perfectly for me, I use it almost daily. I did have some issues the first week or so I had the phone, but the correct gesture has become muscle memory and I haven't had issues since.

Chase Lilly

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
My current situation is that my contract expires in March with Verizon and the rest of my family is on contract for much longer. My old phone is a Droid DNA which I haven't sold yet. I have wondered if I can turn that into T-Mobile instead of the Moto X if that would work. The Nexus 5 seems like an awesome phone as well so I'm not sure what I should do.

Then you need to trade in the DROID DNA. Sell the Moto x since it would not work on their network.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

KHWong0425

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
going back to my experience with Moto X, everything worked very well since day one when it came out. The twists camera motion only got better with the updates; prior was three twist, then they got better to two twist, active notification, and assists all worked well with my day to day function and uses. The only draw back to me was the Moto X vibration/haptic feedback motor being too noisy and felt hollow, and you cannot turn off the haptic feedback when you unlock/ or use the active notification. Other than that, everything about it was fantastic.

For people that are using the break up process, you will not be able to get your hands on a Moto X. Nexus 5, SGS4, HTC One are your real options for T-Mobile. So the trouble is you must sign up, get one of the phones mentioned, resell it out, and buy a Moto X. it is very cumbersome, and may leave your pockets with less funds or without a phone for a given amt of time.

But if you are not using the break up process, such as you are out of contract, you can buy a Moto X unlocked directly from Motorola, and then purchase nano simcard and activation for 10 dollars (which maybe free activation rightnow).

fernandez21

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Does T-Mobile actually sell it in their stores, or is it that you can buy it from Moto and then plug a SIM in from T-Mobile? In order for them to cover your ETF, you have to get a phone directly through T-Mobile, and from what I can see on their website, the X isn't offered directly through them.

OK, that sucks. I see Motorola sells a T-Mobile version on their site, but I don't see the Moto X on t-mobile's site.

When I spoke to T-Mobile about this after they announced it, the rep told me that any device with that carriers branding will work, so you could probably trade in your DNA instead, but I'm not sure if your Moto X will work on T-Mobile.

oldDummy

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
I started my escape from Verizon with a N5 and found it a tad to large.
Went to a Moto G; it is a great phone.
It's limitations started gnawing on me so stepped up to the X.
Only purchased it three weeks ago, don't think I'm going anywhere now.
Love the size, shape and functionality.
Best phone I've owned.

Chase Lilly

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
OK, that sucks. I see Motorola sells a T-Mobile version on their site, but I don't see the Moto X on t-mobile's site.

When I spoke to T-Mobile about this after they announced it, the rep told me that any device with that carriers branding will work, so you could probably trade in your DNA instead, but I'm not sure if your Moto X will work on T-Mobile.

The contract is with the DNA not the Moto X. So the DNA is the phone Tmobile would want. The Moto X would not work with Tmobile but they could sell it and buy a new one.

richv77

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Speaking of the camera, how do you like the pictures?

-Rich

The twist to camera feature works perfectly for me, I use it almost daily. I did have some issues the first week or so I had the phone, but the correct gesture has become muscle memory and I haven't had issues since.

jlgraham

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Speaking of the camera, how do you like the pictures?

I'm actually pleased with the camera. I think in terms of picture quality, it is not quite as good as some other devices such as the LG G2 and the iPhone 5S, but overall I'm quite satisfied. I had an HTC One briefly before the Moto X, and I think the X has a far better camera. It fires up quickly, and takes photos quickly as well. The quality is pretty good, though in dark scenes I've noticed that the Moto X is ramps up the ISO extremely aggressively, so you can end up with shots that are brighter than you'd expect (good thing) but show a lot of visual noise. I'd check out the "photos taken with Moto X" thread, as users have some great shots posted, and I've put some up as well.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I don't own the MotoX, but I've used it and I know what you mean but you are too quick to make conclusion on the Nexus 5, because it's a development device it have amazing potential compared to other phones and have the most devs working on it.

The MotoX is actually faster than my Nexus 4 with quadcore so it's why you don't notice a difference, stock Android don't demand very much performance.

The Nexus 5 screen is just fine, it's just that you are used to AMOLED ten of the MotoX, everyone knows AMOLED have very saturated and unrealistic colors, you'll just have to get use to what normal is. Although I do admit I prefer AMOLED as well for the better contrast, dark level and no backlight leakage.

I personally find it less energy required to turn on the screen and swipe right to turn on the cameras than to do some twisting motion. You could use Tasker to create an elaborated profile that upon gesture would unlock the lockscreen and turn on the camera, then relock the screen when exit.

There are lots of things the Nexus 5 can do to mimic MotoX through customization, I just feel it have much more potential and for power user. I think Nexus are more for tinkerers and do it yourself, Moto X is probably a better consumer device. I'm actually more geared toward to MotoX to now that it have CyanogenMod support, but In a little bummed it's lacking qi charging.

sent via tapatalk

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma