Results 1 to 22 of 22
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By opuntia2
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Navigation Dock for Moto X, car dock back in stock 1/21

    I just noticed it is finally back in stock and ordered one.

    Thanked by 3:
  2. #2  
    Ry
    Ry is online now
    Ry's Avatar

    Posts
    7,197 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,204 Global Posts

    Default Re: Moto x car dock back in stock 1/21

    Quote Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
    I just noticed it is finally back in stock and ordered one.

    Nice find.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

    Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Moto x car dock back in stock 1/21

    Also in stock @ Griffin:

    I had one in the Motorola cart in early December then removed it because Shipping was too high - I think because it was last one they had then lol,
    When it wasn't available, the price was good though...Navigation Dock for Moto X, car dock back in stock 1/21-moto-x-dock.jpg

    Too bad I finally gave up and got a Ram-X mount :/
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Moto x car dock back in stock 1/21

    I really wanted this, but I'm glad I got something else instead. Why would you not make the charging port accessible on a nav dock? GPS eats through a phone battery so fast! I always plug mine in when I'm using nav. I feel like this is a huge design flaw in this dock.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Moto x car dock back in stock 1/21

    Quote Originally Posted by jdevenberg View Post
    I really wanted this, but I'm glad I got something else instead. Why would you not make the charging port accessible on a nav dock? GPS eats through a phone battery so fast! I always plug mine in when I'm using nav. I feel like this is a huge design flaw in this dock.
    I'm 99% certain that this dock has a charging port, it's just that the photos on the Moto website don't show it. If you look at the Griffin website they state that it has a charging port (but oddly enough no pictures), but if you youtube it you'll see that it does
    Thanked by 2:
    Ry 
    davidnc and Ry like this.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Moto x car dock back in stock 1/21

    Quote Originally Posted by opuntia2 View Post
    I'm 99% certain that this dock has a charging port, it's just that the photos on the Moto website don't show it. If you look at the Griffin website they state that it has a charging port (but oddly enough no pictures), but if you youtube it you'll see that it does
    They really ought to make that more clear on their website. That makes it much more appealing. I'm still glad I went with something else because I tend to get new phones very often, so a universal one is probably better for me in the long run, despite how sleek and sexy this one is.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Moto x car dock back in stock 1/21

    I had wanted the car mount, but it wasn't available, and I ended up getting a Kenu Airframe



    I'm really happy with it. It holds the phone securely, it's easy to pop the phone in and out, and it's easy to grab the whole mount and take it on vacation to use in a rental car. I even lent it to a friend who was giving me a ride, because she had a really awkward mount.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Navigation Dock for Moto X, car dock back in stock 1/21

    I wonder If the X with a case on it would still fit??? Does anyone know?
    D Inc on launch day- Galaxy Nexus on launch day----Dev Edition Moto X better late than never----Love me some Android.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Navigation Dock for Moto X, car dock back in stock 1/21

    I tried the one for the Maxx on my wife's phone at the Verizon store. They say you can use a case but I think it would need to be extremely thin. It's tight even without a case. I think over time it would be really tough on the usb port too. The way you put the phone in seems to put some stress on it. It looks nice but i think they could have put more thought into it.

    Posted via Android Central App
  10. #10  
    davidnc's Avatar

    Posts
    5,539 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,689 Global Posts
    ROM
    Nexus(AOKP-jb_4.2.1)

    Default Re: Navigation Dock for Moto X, car dock back in stock 1/21

    I had purchased a cheap one to get by ,but now these are back in stock hope to get one .
  11. #11  
    tender's Avatar

    Posts
    25 Posts
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts

    Default Griffin dock is nice, but I prefer iOttie

    I received the yesterday. It is solid and does have the ability to charge the Moto X while docked if you plug your charger into the port on the back of the dock. It also enables car mode via a hidden magnet. For my car it is not adjustable enough. I could not mount it where I wanted and have the screen at a usable angle. This dock is now in my wife's car for her Moto X, and it works fine there.

    I already had the dock. Last night I added a small magnet using crazy glue and now I can dock my Moto X and car mode is enabled. The iOttie is much more adjustable than the Griffin and it will stick to almost anything. I have my Moto X mounted where I want it, turned sideways so it does not block my view of the road, and car mode makes that work. I have a charging cable wrapped around the base of the iOttie dock and it takes a second to plug it into my Moto X when needed.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Griffin dock is nice, but I prefer iOttie

    Quote Originally Posted by tender View Post
    I received the yesterday. It is solid and does have the ability to charge the Moto X while docked if you plug your charger into the port on the back of the dock. It also enables car mode via a hidden magnet. For my car it is not adjustable enough. I could not mount it where I wanted and have the screen at a usable angle. This dock is now in my wife's car for her Moto X, and it works fine there.

    I already had the dock. Last night I added a small magnet using crazy glue and now I can dock my Moto X and car mode is enabled. The iOttie is much more adjustable than the Griffin and it will stick to almost anything. I have my Moto X mounted where I want it, turned sideways so it does not block my view of the road, and car mode makes that work. I have a charging cable wrapped around the base of the iOttie dock and it takes a second to plug it into my Moto X when needed.
    Where exactly did you place the magnet on the iottie?
  13. #13  
    tender's Avatar

    Posts
    25 Posts
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts

    Default iOttie with Magnets

    Quote Originally Posted by opuntia2 View Post
    Where exactly did you place the magnet on the iottie?
    Here is a picture of where I placed the magnet. I did not use any special magnets, just something small I had. Used krazy glue to keep it in place. Works great, I really like the iOttie setup, can insert and remove the Moto X one handed.

    I removed a small piece of foam on the clamp/arm and glued the magnet there. When the clamp is closed, the magnet is close enough to enable car mode, but does not actually touch the phone. Works with the

    Navigation Dock for Moto X, car dock back in stock 1/21-img_20140123_104827698_hdr.jpg Navigation Dock for Moto X, car dock back in stock 1/21-img_20140123_104818683_hdr.jpg
    Last edited by tender; 01-23-2014 at 10:28 AM. Reason: more detail
  14. #14  

    Default Re: iOttie with Magnets

    Quote Originally Posted by tender View Post
    Here is a picture of where I placed the magnet. I did not use any special magnets, just something small I had. Used krazy glue to keep it in place. Works great, I really like the iOttie setup, can insert and remove the Moto X one handed.

    I removed a small piece of foam on the clamp/arm and glued the magnet there. When the clamp is closed, the magnet is close enough to enable car mode, but does not actually touch the phone. Works with the

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140123_104827698_HDR.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	593.8 KB 
ID:	101811 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140123_104818683_HDR.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	627.1 KB 
ID:	101812
    Thanks, nice setup. I just got the Griffin dock and I'm not crazy about it (Luckily it was free). One other question, if you have the magnet then what's the purpose of the NFC tag? OK, I lied, a second question, does the clamp interfere or touch the volume and/or power buttons? It looks like it would hit them.
    Last edited by opuntia2; 01-25-2014 at 12:57 PM. Reason: another question
  15. #15  
    tender's Avatar

    Posts
    25 Posts
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts

    Default Re: iOttie with Magnets

    Quote Originally Posted by opuntia2 View Post
    Thanks, nice setup. I just got the Griffin dock and I'm not crazy about it (Luckily it was free). One other question, if you have the magnet then what's the purpose of the NFC tag? OK, I lied, a second question, does the clamp interfere or touch the volume and/or power buttons? It looks like it would hit them.
    The NFC tag is to unlock the phone, it came with the Skip. When I put the phone in the dock, it stays unlocked, which is useful while driving and using voice commands. In those pictures, the top of the Moto X would be at the right of the dock, power and volume buttons on top, does not interfere.

    I like the Griffin, but it is very limited in how it can be adjusted for a better view. The iOttie is much more adjustable. But the Griffin does work fine is my wife's car, used it last night to navigate. Phone goes in very easy, car mode enabled, and charged. If it worked better for my car, I would use that. But the iOttie is universal, so I could be used for other phones, plus it was less than $20.
  16. #16  

    Default Re: iOttie with Magnets

    Quote Originally Posted by tender View Post
    But the iOttie is universal, so I could be used for other phones, plus it was less than $20.
    Darn it! I think I just paid $25 for it on Amazon. Anyway I wanted to try it because the suction cup is supposed to be strong. My last universal arm kept falling off particularly when temps dip down to 40 and below.

    Plus I don't feel the need to top off the charge on my Moto X all the time like I did with my Rezound.

    I may order the griffin dock in the future if I can get it on sale.

    Sent from my Moto X
  17. #17  

    Default Re: iOttie with Magnets

    Hi everyone,

    When I put my X in the Griffin dock, the phone automatically runs Car Home Ultra. For those who are not familiar with Car Home Ultra, it is an app that is driving friendly.

    My question is how does the phone knows to run Car Home Ultra? The app is not designed specially for the X. Can I customize a few more things to run when docked, in addtion to Car Home Ultra?
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Navigation Dock for Moto X, car dock back in stock 1/21

    For those of you who bought this dock, what exactly does car mode do when you dock your phone?

    I tried to invoke the car dock mode using the Trigger app, but that just does whatever your desk dock action is (Daydream, etc.)

    Sent from my Moto X
  19. #19  
    Flexia's Avatar

    Posts
    91 Posts
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts

    Default Re: Navigation Dock for Moto X, car dock back in stock 1/21

    Does anyone know if the USB will also do audio out when in the dock? My old RAZR used to when plugged into the dock

    Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
  20. #20  
    dk21's Avatar

    Posts
    73 Posts
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts

    Default Re: Navigation Dock for Moto X, car dock back in stock 1/21

    Quote Originally Posted by dmark44 View Post
    For those of you who bought this dock, what exactly does car mode do when you dock your phone?

    I tried to invoke the car dock mode using the Trigger app, but that just does whatever your desk dock action is (Daydream, etc.)

    Sent from my Moto X
    It doesn't really do anything stock. I installed Car Home Ultra, so that launches on mine.

    Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:
  21. #21  
    Vaas's Avatar

    Posts
    134 Posts
    Global Posts
    187 Global Posts

    Default Re: Navigation Dock for Moto X, car dock back in stock 1/21

    Has anyone gotten the Nav Dock to work with a case? I have the SUPCASE which is not a think one and fits great on the desk dock.

    just curious before I purchase.

    thanks.
  22. #22  
    gcnts's Avatar

    Posts
    21 Posts
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts

    Default Re: Navigation Dock for Moto X, car dock back in stock 1/21

    Received my dock yesterday. Car mode doesn't seem to do much, adds a microphone button and a G button (I assume to access Google search? Haven't tried it)

    I had the vehicle docks previously for my Atrix 4g, and Atrix 2. Both used a USB cable that split off to standard USB and stereo jack (1/8" or whatever is standard) my Xterra has an aux in next to the power port so I always had an easy way to listen to Pandora or whatever through the car stereo. Since the Griffin dock didn't come with any cable, I tried my old one first. Audio continued to play through phone speaker. Since they included a cut out onon the audio jack end of the dock, it's easy enough to plug my audio jack when docking. I don't know if this is a design left out of the phone or the dock.

    Also, as I prefer a landscape mount (I prefer for Waze navigation) it turns out when you receive a call in landscape while docked, you get the concentric circles graphic with the incoming call symbol, but no caller ID. I've found a few threads online but no solution yet. I'll be calling Motorola tomorrow to see what they have to say about it.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:

Similar Threads

  1. Moto X aftermarket wireless charging?
    By droible in forum Moto X
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 02-23-2014, 11:20 PM
  2. Contact dup's for over 300 peeps help!
    By Tera Paleka in forum Verizon Galaxy Note 2
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-04-2014, 09:58 PM
  3. Music stopping randomly when head phones plugged in
    By Faloogs in forum Samsung Galaxy S4
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-21-2014, 04:41 PM

Posting Permissions

B