Considering Moto X. Would like user opinions

sooner7

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
Messaging - Between the stock messaging app and Moto Connect (let's you text from Chrome browser window), I think you'll be in love.

Calls - Motorola's radios are highly touted and the Moto X has ranked highest in LTE connectivty.

Battery Life- Expect a minimum of 12-14 hours with atleast 3 hours screen on time, and a Maximum of 1 day with nearly 6 hours screen on time. I usually fall somewhere in the middle depending on usage

Notifications - Active Display will change your life. The subtle way it breathes notifications is nice, and the fact it senses when you pick up the phone negates the need to hit the power button.

Games- The Moto X has the same high end GPU that the GS4, One, etc. all have. It will handle games even better due to pushing less pixels.

Music player - Audio output quality is great and my god the external speaker is one of the best I have ever heard next to the One/One mini. I recommend sideloading the apollo .apk

PM me for any and all questions.

hausjam

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
MotoX is the first android phone I have been really happy with. I came from iphones.

Even with moderate to heavy usage, I have yet to ever not make it through an entire day on one charge. Most days (of light usage) I will be off the charger for 16 hours or so and use about 20-30%.

There have been a few times (with all my android phones) that the battery will drain like crazy overnight. I assume I just happened to leave the phone in a bad signal spot.

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Battery Life- Expect a minimum of 12-14 hours with atleast 3 hours screen on time, and a Maximum of 1 day with nearly 6 hours screen on time. I usually fall somewhere in the middle depending on usage

I CONSISTENTLY get over 24 hours of life and have hit over 6 hours screen time before though it usually falls in the 5 hour range for me. So for me anyway, the max is a bit more though that will depend on the cell tower service you have which might explain some of the differences.

ScottMGS

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I CONSISTENTLY get over 24 hours of life and have hit over 6 hours screen time before though it usually falls in the 5 hour range for me. So for me anyway, the max is a bit more though that will depend on the cell tower service you have which might explain some of the differences.

This. I ran a test on Monday/Tuesday. It took 30 hours to drop from 100% to 14% (when the power saver stuff kicks in). I had two and a quarter hours of screen time. At home I have full green 4G/LTE coverage and was getting very good battery life. At work my carrel (too small to be a cubicle) is in the middle of the building where I only get weak 3G coverage and this is where the battery usage slope was the steepest.

anon(8312128)

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
I was really loving my Moto X, but I had a real issue with idle/standby battery drain. I never could get to the bottom of it, which was frustrating, because I was loving the device otherwise. Who knows, maybe I got a lemon. I've since moved on to the LG G2 and the battery life is phenomenal (but it's also a larger battery so that's not really a fair comparison). I really miss my Moto X but the battery issue was a deal breaker for me.

aloomis76

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hello all

I'm considering getting a moto x for my next phone and would like to hear the opinions of people who owns the device.

I currently own a Blackberry Z10 and have become disillusioned with the way Blackberry 10 is working and am looking at Android as an alternative. So if there are any ex BB10 users now rocking a Moto X it would be great to hear your opinions too.

The things i find important are:

Messaging - I use my phone to communicate primarily. This is why i have stuck with Blackberry for so long as the focus on messaging has always been optimal for my experience. I dont think i will get the same experience with a Moto X as i would with Blackberry, but the Active Display feature certainly looks to minimise the void. From what i understand any app can use this feature. It looks like it could work well for me.

Calls - Again Blackberry have always been great with call quality, but Motorola also enjoys a similar reputation. i've not heard anything too specific about the Moto X in this category though.

Battery Life- Blackberry used to be all about battery life, but the Z10's staying power is awful. I'm probably a medium to heavy user and would like my phone to last from 8am to around 9pm if possible. The battery reports on the Moto X have been mixed so would like to hear real users opinons.

Notifications - By this i mean things like ringers and vibrations. I could customise all this on Blackberry but the Z10 ringer volume is woefully inadequate. Would i be able to hear the Moto X ring if its in my pocket and i'm in a noisy bar?

Games- I tend to value battery over gaming so i steer clear of hardcore games and then to choose casual games that can fill a few minutes. for example The Sims free to play is one i regularly play. I'm assuming the Moto X can handle all this with no problem?

Music player - i use my phone as a MP3 player. the Z10 music playback left a lot to be desired. How is the Moto X in this area?

I'm not fully decided on the Moto X, I am considering the Sony Z1 too. Would people recommend one over the other? I prefer the Moto X's size and larger screens tend to be a negative point for me.

So thanks in advance to everyone who replies :)

From one former BlackBerry user to a current user...if you are considering going Android then I say go with the Moto X. I too debated with the idea and even reached out to these forums as you now have and finally decided on the Moto X from a long list of "Top of the Line" Android phones. Now lets see if I can address your queries...

The active display is great. The only downfall I see to it as opposed to the BB10 is from the lock screen in BB10 you can select which notification you have received and click on that particular one to start with. With active display, if you have multiple notifications that have come in, you can see that you can notifications from each app but you can only slide directly into the most recent notification.

I have Sprint and live in a small city. I have found that in my house was the only place that anyone ever had problems with calls. More specifically, the iPhone toting people in the house cannont seem to get their phone to ring when someone calls them the first time. The only way their phones will ring is if someone calls them and then when it goes to voicemail they quickly hang up and call again. Then their calls come in. When I had my BlackBerry I did NOT experience these problems. Since getting my Moto X, I have to say that I am still in the same boat as my Berry and experience no call problems both incoming and outgoing. No dropped calls and call quality is on par with my old BB.

The batter life on my Moto X is superb compared to my BB. Hate to say it but I can now use a bunch of different apps all day and still get on average 16 hours in a day. That should be more than needed for any normal use. To give you an idea of my usage I get around 100 emails a day, about a couple hours of web surfing. Maybe an hour or two of music streaming or video watching and probably 2-4 hours of playing games/apps. Plus I belong to 5 groups in BBM and the unfortunate part about BBM for Android is you can't turn the group notifications off without turning all of the BBM notifications off so I get those all day too.

I have found the ability to customize ringtones and notifications on the X to be good. As I mentioned above, you don't get ALL of the notification options you got on a BB but it is pretty good. I have been using an app called Zedge to get my ringtones and notification tones and I always listen to them prior to downloading them so I try to pick LOUD ones that I think I'll be able to hear in noisy places. I haven't used my X in a bar yet but can say that I have been in many a crowded mall or shopping center and a few restaurants and have had people look at me funny when they hear some of my notifications from across the room. So you should be ok.

Games are not a problem as I have already stated. I like to a lot of puzzle and time killing games that are pretty easy going and it handles them like a dream. I am also hooked on a few pretty graphic intensive games and they all work great too. You shouldn't have a problem for what you are talking about.

I don't do a ton of streaming or use my X as a mp3 player but I guess I do my fair share. The sound on the Moto X is pretty good but I have always been using my BlackBerry Mini Bluetooth Speaker for a little extra boost and have no complaints, well, except for the people around me sometimes ;)

As for the Z1 I haven't used it but I have to say that I think the Moto X fits nicely in my hand which is kind of large and the overall feel of the device is really good, not too big but not too small.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Last edited: