Moto X tops LTE network connectivity test

JoeNM84

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
I have to agree with the comment on that page saying the results are invalid. All phones should be on the same network when tested. Not saying the results wont be the same, but it could be Verizon > ATT or Moto X > Other phones with that test. I'd like it done with all the phones on ATT and all the phones on VZW.

blacksapphire08

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Well my Moto X gets full bars in places my HTC Amaze got 1 bar so the radio is definitely better, can't comment on throughput though.

Posted via Android Central App

UncleMike

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
As much as I like to hear positive news about the Moto X, testing the Moto X on one network, and all others in the test on another network, then declaring the Moto X to be the winner is ridiculous. There are too many uncontrolled and unmeasurable (by the testers) factors in the test - backhaul bandwidth and other users competing for bandwidth are among the most obvious.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
So far, I'm not terribly impressed to be honest. I got my Moto X to replace an LG Optimus G Pro that I had managed to break the LTE antenna on.

So far, I've been in two spots where the OGP had decent if minimal signal on LTE and the Moto X showed one bar HSPA+ and I couldn't actually do anything on the Internet. Even my OGP with the broken antenna generally worked fine in those areas.

Meanwhile, my wife's Galaxy S4 smokes both of them in terms of signal strength.

Oddly, the Moto does OK in places where the OGP struggled a bit, but it's not what I expected from Motorola in terms of antenna/radio design.

phositadc

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Meanwhile, my wife's Galaxy S4 smokes both of them in terms of signal strength.

Interesting. That's contrary to the experience of most others on here who have compared the two. I've never compared the X to an S4 personally.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Interesting. That's contrary to the experience of most others on here who have compared the two. I've never compared the X to an S4 personally.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

I know. It's surprising, and of course one small sample does not a trend make, but...

We'll see longer-term. Overall the MotoX has impressed me. Battery life is first rate. Fast, smooth, no-lag UI.

Being in a rural area, though, I need something capable of getting signal where it's sparse.

xm0nkey

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
The phones were tested in an isolated chamber, not connected to any network. It sounds like the test was performed to see how well phones would do given a very ideal and controlled environment so the results are useful as a comparison. Obviously real world results will vary, but this was to see the potential of each device.

"Michael Thelander, Signals Research's founder and CEO, said use of different bands did not cause differences in the devices' performance, given that Band 13 and Band 17 are fairly close together on the spectrum chart. "I'm confident that if we had tested a Moto X phone that supported Band 17 in Band 17 that the results would be largely the same," told FierceWirelessTech"

I'd be inclined to take his word for it considering their expertise in this area. For what it's worth, my Moto X holds a signal incredibly well and in more locations than my old Galaxy Nexus could dream of doing.

JoeNM84

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
The phones were tested in an isolated chamber, not connected to any network. It sounds like the test was performed to see how well phones would do given a very ideal and controlled environment so the results are useful as a comparison. Obviously real world results will vary, but this was to see the potential of each device.

"Michael Thelander, Signals Research's founder and CEO, said use of different bands did not cause differences in the devices' performance, given that Band 13 and Band 17 are fairly close together on the spectrum chart. "I'm confident that if we had tested a Moto X phone that supported Band 17 in Band 17 that the results would be largely the same," told FierceWirelessTech"

"Fairly close together", when it could have been done with the exact bands. So no matter what he says the test was done poorly and they could have used phones all made for the same network and same bands and then had an exact comparison without having to make a statement about how it is "fairly close."

elcheapodeluxe

May 25, 2011
Visit site
For what it's worth, my Moto X consistently is about 3mbps slower with the SpeedTest app than my Blackberry Q10 SQN100-5, both in the same location and on T-Mobile LTE.

Edited to add: Ok. Just re-ran it. Maybe not 3. Right now it's about 2mbps slower down, and 1mbps slower up.

cordoni

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Confounding variables with the different network. Basic experiment construction indicates cv's must be eliminated for the experiment to have valid results.

This experiment fails in that, and thus is invalid.

The end.

Posted via Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teapotsax