Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 43
Like Tree9Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    T-Rob's Avatar

    Posts
    135 Posts
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts

    Default Moto X: General consensus?

    Currently have a Razr Maxx...looking to upgrade. Can't decide between the Droid Maxx, HTC One and Moto X.

    How do you guys like the X?
    How's the battery life?
    Does it have a removable SIM?

    Thanks!
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 01-24-2014 at 10:33 AM.
  2. #2  
    Darth Spock's Avatar

    Posts
    5,714 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,753 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

    Default Re: General consensus?

    1. Yes. Much more than any device I've ever owned and I'd still pick it over the Nexus 5, which for me is a big thing. I <3 Nexus but Moto X features and shape outdo it.
    2. Expect 18-28 hours depending on your usage and conditions, could be +/- a lot. I currently have no issues getting through from eyes open to shut on a charge, but the Maxx is obviously better in this category with the ability to go for 2 days on a charge.
    3. Yes. It's a Nano SIM, goes in a tray on the side opposite of the buttons (left if you're looking at the face).

    ​Obvious statement: Why, I am an assassin 'droid, Master.
    May the Force Be With You

    Community Rules & Guidelines​
    (Formerly "NothingIsTrue")

    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    T-Rob's Avatar

    Posts
    135 Posts
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts

    Default Re: General consensus?

    Thank you for the quick reply. I've been rocking the Razr Maxx for over two years now...kinda out of the loop on phones and when I started researching them again, it's like..wow!! LOL

    - Can we the X be rooted?
    - I see some of having problems with KitKat...are you?
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  
    T-Rob's Avatar

    Posts
    135 Posts
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts

    Default Re: General consensus?

    I'm looking at the specs of the phone...does it not have a slot for the SD card?
  5. #5  

    Default

    I'd wait for the next wave of phones to come out in the coming months.

    However, if you can't wait a few months, I would go with the Moto X or HTC One. The two best phones of 2013.

    Posted via Android Central App
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  
    T-Rob's Avatar

    Posts
    135 Posts
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts

    Default Re: General consensus?

    Quote Originally Posted by charlee08 View Post
    I'd wait for the next wave of phones to come out in the coming months.

    However, if you can't wait a few months, I would go with the Moto X or HTC One. The two best phones of 2013.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Well, I'm currently stationed in Germany and will be coming back to the US for a business trip next month. I was wanting to do it then.
  7. #7  
    Darth Spock's Avatar

    Posts
    5,714 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,753 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

    Default Re: General consensus?

    Quote Originally Posted by T_Rob View Post
    I'm looking at the specs of the phone...does it not have a slot for the SD card?
    None of the three do.

    XT1060. Through spacetime.

    ​Obvious statement: Why, I am an assassin 'droid, Master.
    May the Force Be With You

    Community Rules & Guidelines​
    (Formerly "NothingIsTrue")

  8. #8  
    Darth Spock's Avatar

    Posts
    5,714 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,753 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

    Default Re: General consensus?

    Quote Originally Posted by T_Rob View Post
    Thank you for the quick reply. I've been rocking the Razr Maxx for over two years now...kinda out of the loop on phones and when I started researching them again, it's like..wow!! LOL

    - Can we the X be rooted?
    - I see some of having problems with KitKat...are you?
    Yes, but it is not clean on the standard version. There is a specific developer version that's easily unlockable and rootable for both the x and the maxx.

    XT1060. Through spacetime.

    ​Obvious statement: Why, I am an assassin 'droid, Master.
    May the Force Be With You

    Community Rules & Guidelines​
    (Formerly "NothingIsTrue")

  9. #9  
    Darth Spock's Avatar

    Posts
    5,714 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,753 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

    Default Re: General consensus?

    Quote Originally Posted by T_Rob View Post
    Well, I'm currently stationed in Germany and will be coming back to the US for a business trip next month. I was wanting to do it then.
    HTC we're expecting this spring, while moto will probably be in August for next big releases. Does Google Now work well in Germany on your RAZR?

    XT1060. Through spacetime.

    ​Obvious statement: Why, I am an assassin 'droid, Master.
    May the Force Be With You

    Community Rules & Guidelines​
    (Formerly "NothingIsTrue")

  10. #10  
    davidnc's Avatar

    Posts
    5,545 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,695 Global Posts
    ROM
    Nexus(AOKP-jb_4.2.1)

    Default Re: General consensus?

    Quote Originally Posted by T_Rob View Post
    Currently have a Razr Maxx...looking to upgrade. Can't decide between the Droid Maxx, HTC One and Moto X.

    1 . How do you guys like the X?
    2. How's the battery life?
    3. Does it have a removable SIM?

    Thanks!
    1. Its perfect for me.The size of the phone isnt to big, feels good in hand, OS runs smooth, no lag, quick updates,few bloatware(stock vzw).Useful features: active notifications,touchless control.

    2. Battery life has been the best of any android phone I had so far. 20+ hours easy ,to upwards to 36 hrs. is common for me.Basically I dont worry about battery.I would put my use any where from constant medium user up to heavy use at times.

    3. yes
    Last edited by davidnc; 01-24-2014 at 06:05 AM.
  11. #11  
    thegrants82's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    826 Posts

    Default Re: General consensus?

    Quote Originally Posted by T_Rob View Post
    Currently have a Razr Maxx...looking to upgrade. Can't decide between the Droid Maxx, HTC One and Moto X.

    How do you guys like the X?
    How's the battery life?
    Does it have a removable SIM?

    Thanks!
    It's a great little phone. Getting a little long in the tooth thigh so keep that in mind.
    Battery is average.
    Yes the sim is removable.
  12. #12  
    sting7k's Avatar

    Posts
    429 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,248 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.2

    Default Re: General consensus?

    1. I like the X a lot. It feels well built and very solid.
    2. Battery life is very good. It's pretty close to my iPhone 5. I won't complain about it.
    3. Yes the SIM is removable.

    The new Razr Maxx is essentially the Moto X with a slightly bigger screen and of course the maxx battery. So you could get the epic battery of the Maxx with the upgraded internals of the X. They both run the same processor setup. The Maxx also does not have touchless controls or active notifications. Don't listen to anyone who claims the X is getting old or long in the tooth, they are insane. The X has more than enough CPU power and the same 2GB of RAM (probably the most important thing) as the top Android phones.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: General consensus?

    The new Droids (Maxx, Ultra, and Mini) have the same capabilities as the Moto X. Same chip setup, active display, and touchless control. With the Droid Maxx having the larger battery if you are on Verizon getting the Droid Maxx would be a great choice. I don’t see a down side to it over the Moto X.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  
    T-Rob's Avatar

    Posts
    135 Posts
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts

    Default Re: General consensus?

    Quote Originally Posted by NothingIsTrue View Post
    Does Google Now work well in Germany on your RAZR?

    XT1060. Through spacetime.
    It sure does. The only thing is that if I'm trying to navigate somewhere, I have to type in the address...it does't recognize German words.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  
    T-Rob's Avatar

    Posts
    135 Posts
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts

    Default Re: General consensus?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chase Lilly View Post
    The new Droids (Maxx, Ultra, and Mini) have the same capabilities as the Moto X. Same chip setup, active display, and touchless control. With the Droid Maxx having the larger battery if you are on Verizon getting the Droid Maxx would be a great choice. I don’t see a down side to it over the Moto X.
    According to other posts, the MAXX does NOT have touchless control and active display. Does it?
  16. #16  
    tgp
    tgp is offline
    tgp's Avatar

    Posts
    436 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,783 Global Posts

    Default Re: General consensus?

    My wife has a Moto X, and loves it! If you would threaten to take it from her, she would say, "Out of my cold, dead hands!"

    As far as battery like, it's by far the best of any phone on any platform that I've had. She's a heavy user, and usually around bedtime it's time to plug it in. Here's a screenshot:

    Moto X: General consensus?-screenshot_2013-12-30-23-17-06.png

    It was not plugged in at all during the day, so this is one charge. It doesn't usually last quite that long though. She's normally at 5.5 - 6.5 hours screen on time, which is still excellent.
    I have a Nexus 4, an iPhone 5, and a Lumia 520, and I like them all. Is something wrong with me? (I really should edit my signature sometime. I have only 1 of these 3 phones anymore, and even that one is mostly unused because it's been superseded by its big brother!)
  17. #17  

    Default Re: General consensus?

    Quote Originally Posted by T_Rob View Post
    According to other posts, the MAXX does NOT have touchless control and active display. Does it?
    The only reason I can see people think this way is because of Motos website. It does not name them like it does with the Moto X. Verizon Website does advertises all of this though. My Dad is on Verizon and I was looking into the Maxx for him. It has it and I have seen it on the demo. Also if you look at the Apps in the play Store it says only compatible with-

    - Droid Ultra
    - Droid Mini
    - Droid Maxx
    - Moto X

    I think they may have made Active Display available after the Moto X came out though. But the Droids with X8 got it.

    If on Verizon go with the Droid Maxx over the Moto X. You get all the same features with a better battery.
  18. #18  

    Default Re: General consensus?

    Quote Originally Posted by T_Rob View Post
    According to other posts, the MAXX does NOT have touchless control and active display. Does it?
    Absolutely yes, it does -- touchless control, active notification, and twist to launch camera are all on the Droid Maxx.

    Like you, I had a Razr Maxx for two years. I bought an X when they first came out on Verizon. Coming from the Razr Maxx, i was very disappointed with the X's battery life. It may be good compared to some folks experiences, but compared to the Razr Maxx, it was pretty bad. With the same apps/environment as my Razr Maxx, I went from 36 hours of battery to less than 12 (to get the 15% warning).

    I returned the X and bought a Droid Maxx. It is great. Just a bit bigger than the Razr Maxx (a little taller), but it has a bigger screen. It feels like a more polished Razr Maxx. I should have just bought it first.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  
    T-Rob's Avatar

    Posts
    135 Posts
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts

    Default Re: General consensus?

    Quote Originally Posted by drvier8 View Post
    Absolutely yes, it does -- touchless control, active notification, and twist to launch camera are all on the Droid Maxx.

    Like you, I had a Razr Maxx for two years. I bought an X when they first came out on Verizon. Coming from the Razr Maxx, i was very disappointed with the X's battery life. It may be good compared to some folks experiences, but compared to the Razr Maxx, it was pretty bad. With the same apps/environment as my Razr Maxx, I went from 36 hours of battery to less than 12 (to get the 15% warning).

    I returned the X and bought a Droid Maxx. It is great. Just a bit bigger than the Razr Maxx (a little taller), but it has a bigger screen. It feels like a more polished Razr Maxx. I should have just bought it first.
    Interesting...thank you very much!!
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  
    T-Rob's Avatar

    Posts
    135 Posts
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts

    Default Re: General consensus?

    Quote Originally Posted by drvier8 View Post
    Absolutely yes, it does -- touchless control, active notification, and twist to launch camera are all on the Droid Maxx.

    Like you, I had a Razr Maxx for two years. I bought an X when they first came out on Verizon. Coming from the Razr Maxx, i was very disappointed with the X's battery life. It may be good compared to some folks experiences, but compared to the Razr Maxx, it was pretty bad. With the same apps/environment as my Razr Maxx, I went from 36 hours of battery to less than 12 (to get the 15% warning).

    I returned the X and bought a Droid Maxx. It is great. Just a bit bigger than the Razr Maxx (a little taller), but it has a bigger screen. It feels like a more polished Razr Maxx. I should have just bought it first.
    BTW, do you know if the Maxx can be rooted?
  21. #21  

    Default Re: General consensus?

    Quote Originally Posted by drvier8 View Post
    Absolutely yes, it does -- touchless control, active notification, and twist to launch camera are all on the Droid Maxx.

    Like you, I had a Razr Maxx for two years. I bought an X when they first came out on Verizon. Coming from the Razr Maxx, i was very disappointed with the X's battery life. It may be good compared to some folks experiences, but compared to the Razr Maxx, it was pretty bad. With the same apps/environment as my Razr Maxx, I went from 36 hours of battery to less than 12 (to get the 15% warning).

    I returned the X and bought a Droid Maxx. It is great. Just a bit bigger than the Razr Maxx (a little taller), but it has a bigger screen. It feels like a more polished Razr Maxx. I should have just bought it first.
    I prefer the form factor of the X and chose it over battery life. For me the battery and efficiency is better than what I was used to with my HTC Rezound. Like the last post said you're accustomed to the max battery and are likely to be disappointed with less than a full day's battery life (only accomplished on light usage days with the X.)

    The Ultra Maxx gives you the new features and the huge battery. The Ultra Maxx feels better in hand than the the RAZR Maxx and softens the industrial look a bit. It has a little further to go for my personal tastes, but I'd love to have that battery! I also hope the next Maxx has slightly better resolution for its larger screen and soft keys. I always thought the Motorola capacitive buttons were the ugliest (personal opinion.)

    Sent from my Moto X
  22. #22  

    Default Re: General consensus?

    So, I guess the answer to the original question is: No, there is no general consensus on the Moto X. The people who like it like it and the people who don't don't.
  23. #23  

    Default Re: General consensus?

    Quote Originally Posted by T_Rob View Post
    BTW, do you know if the Maxx can be rooted?
    You have to root it before updating to kit kat. There's a method (see XDA for details) to keep root with KK, but you have to do the things in exactly the right order. If you update to KK first, there is currently no root method. When I bought mine (November), it shipped with 4.2.2. Now that the KK update has pushed out, I suspect that 4.4 is being installed at the factory. Don't know how long earlier ones will remain in the supply chain.

    You could buy the Developers Edition and unlock the bootloader.

    That said, I've rooted all my previous phones, but haven't felt the itch to do so on my Maxx yet.
  24. #24  

    Default Re: General consensus?

    what is the general consensus on picture and video quality? While moto is known for how good the signal and gps quality is they are also known for having really crappy cameras... has this gotten better?
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  
    T-Rob's Avatar

    Posts
    135 Posts
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts

    Default Re: General consensus?

    Quote Originally Posted by drvier8 View Post
    You have to root it before updating to kit kat. There's a method (see XDA for details) to keep root with KK, but you have to do the things in exactly the right order. If you update to KK first, there is currently no root method. When I bought mine (November), it shipped with 4.2.2. Now that the KK update has pushed out, I suspect that 4.4 is being installed at the factory. Don't know how long earlier ones will remain in the supply chain.

    You could buy the Developers Edition and unlock the bootloader.

    That said, I've rooted all my previous phones, but haven't felt the itch to do so on my Maxx yet.
    Okay...here's a better question, can one tether wirelessly with the X or MAXX?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. HTC One X has been slow in general lately and I'm not sure why
    By MFThomas in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-23-2014, 09:09 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-23-2014, 11:46 AM
  3. Ingress General - Portal keys and level
    By lwood11 in forum Ingress General
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-17-2014, 10:59 AM
  4. General wearable tech thread
    By patruns in forum AndroidCentral.com - Site News, Feedback and Help
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-15-2014, 10:21 AM
  5. nexus 10, android in general
    By Neil Paice in forum Google Nexus 10 Tablet
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-09-2014, 04:02 PM

Posting Permissions

B