Touchless Control and All Access Music

readhpr

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
You would think for All Access subscribers they could integrate the "Listen to..." with Play Music / All Access. Right now for me the "Listen to" is completely useless. Since the last update of Assist / Touchless Controls, I cannot get "OK Google, listen to..." to work at all (and it barely worked before). Even when I ask it for something I have in my Play Music library and/or that I have listened to recently in Play Music, all it does is bring up Google search results. I have Play Music selected as my music player in the Driving Assist settings, but that seems to make no difference. All that happens when I am driving and set the car's audio mode to Bluetooth input is that Play Music opens and will play whatever I last listened to on my phone, provided I have not rebooted the phone in the interim. I can't get it to switch to different music with "Listen to..."

What I'd really like to happen when I'm driving and I ask to listen to something is that it should look in my Library and Recently Played items in Play Music, and if it doesn't find it there, search All Access Music, and go ahead and play whatever it thinks is the best match. Better yet, if it finds multiple matches, say what they are and ask you to pick, like what it does when I'm driving and ask it to call someone (it will ask do you want to call So-and-So Home, So-and-So Cell, etc.)

Carkid367

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I did notice this too, just tried on my X and it doesn't work anymore... :( Although I hated that it could never play an album if you spoke it, but it was still nice if you wanted to hear a specific song.

TechTinker

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I don't use touchless controls much, but I just tried it and it work. I said "Ok Google Now, listen to.. <artisti>" and it started shufflin with play music. I was even make it play a certain song.

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
I've been saying "play" instead of "Listen to".

Trying out twice with specific songs, the first time Play Music created a station based on the song name I said but actually played a different song from the station at random instead of the specific song.

Second time I said "Play {song name} by {artist}" and it started with the actual song.

Sent from my Moto X

readhpr

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
I've tried "Listen to" and "Play" and they simply don't work for me. All it does is bring up Google search results.

robjulo

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
"Listen to" or "Play" is largely broken if the music isn't physically on the device, at least that was my experience with both a Nexus 5 and Moto X. I asked about it on a couple of different boards when I couldn't get it to work properly and was told its basically broken.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
"Listen to" or "Play" is largely broken if the music isn't physically on the device, at least that was my experience with both a Nexus 5 and Moto X. I asked about it on a couple of different boards when I couldn't get it to work properly and was told its basically broken.

Not true. I have not sideloaded any music to my device, nor have a pinned any music to my device and the voice commands to play music work just fine.

As others have mentioned, try uninstalling the updates.

robjulo

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Not true. I have not sideloaded any music to my device, nor have a pinned any music to my device and the voice commands to play music work just fine.

As others have mentioned, try uninstalling the updates.

Seems to me that if you are on the latest version, and it doesn't work, it is broken, which is what my experience was on both a Nexus 5 and a Moto X. I was never been able to get it to work reliably unless the music was physically downloaded (not pinned) to the device. "Listen To" a specific song would work most of the time but "Listen To" artist would never work. If I said listen to Van Halen, the Google Play Music pops up but results in "no results found". Saying "Play" instead of "Listen To" made no difference.

From my thread on XDA: "when I say "Ok Google, Listen to Van Halen" I get the response "Playing Van Halen". A box with picture of Van Halen then comes up, a blue progress bar moves from left to right. The Google Play Music icon (the headphones icon) is in the bottom left corner of that box. When the progress bar gets all the way to the right I get a "No Results Found" message and the Google Play Music Settings comes up."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nayminthuyain888