Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Ry
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    657 Global Posts

Default Moto X: Unlocked vs Carrier Version

When ordering via Moto Maker, if I select my carrier I presume the phone will not be Unlocked? Since I am paying full price I guess I should order the unlocked version.

Thanks for your comments.

-Rich
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 01-26-2014 at 11:02 AM.
    Banned

Global Posts
    933 Global Posts

Default Re: Unlocked vs Carrier Version

Quote Originally Posted by richv77 View Post
    When ordering via Moto Maker, if I select my carrier I presume the phone will not be Unlocked? Since I am paying full price I guess I should order the unlocked version.
    GSM unlocked motomaker version is SIM unlocked. ATT motomaker version is not SIM unlocked even if you are paying full price.

However, I don't know how it works with getting OS updates if you buy the GSM unlocked version but use it on ATT's network. Also, if you pay full price for the ATT version, wouldn't ATT agree to SIM unlock it for you? I think they will, but call first and ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Cozume View Post
    GSM unlocked motomaker version is SIM unlocked. ATT motomaker version is not SIM unlocked even if you are paying full price.

However, I don't know how it works with getting OS updates if you buy the GSM unlocked version but use it on ATT's network. Also, if you pay full price for the ATT version, wouldn't ATT agree to SIM unlock it for you? I think they will, but call first and ask.
    As long as you pay full price for a device at AT&T, they have no issues unlocking. Just call them up and they will give you an unlock code. Does the unlocked o me have all of the ATT bands? If so, go with that one so you don't have any carrier bloat.

Sent from my Moto X
    Banned

Global Posts
    933 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jyscal View Post
    Does the unlocked o me have all of the ATT bands? If so, go with that one so you don't have any carrier bloat.
    Motorola advertises it as being able to be used on both TMobile and ATT, so I am sure it has all of the ATT bands.

However, how does that work for operating system updates? Do they come directly from Motorola even if you are operating the device on ATT network?

Motorola advertises it as being able to be used on both TMobile and ATT, so I am sure it has all of the ATT bands.

However, how does that work for operating system updates? Do they come directly from Motorola even if you are operating the device on ATT network?
    Would like to know this as well.

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by Tysonsaurus View Post

I bought the GSM Unlocked version a week before Christmas during the last promo sale. When I received it and started it up it was on 4.2.2 but no sooner than I finished the initial setup I was prompted to install the OTA 4.4 Kit Kat update. Can't tell you where the OTA originated but I'm on AT&T.

I have the T-Mobile version. It works with TMo and Straight Talk sim out of the box.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk
    Banned

Global Posts
    933 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tysonsaurus View Post
    According to this link, the OS updates will come directly from Motorola for the GSM unlocked Moto X Dev Ed, which I am sure is the same for the Motomaker GSM unlocked model.

Moto X Developer Edition unboxing | Android Central

According to , the AT&T version supports LTE bands 5 & 7, but the unlocked/T-Mobile/DeveloperEdition does not; while the unlocked/T-Mobile/DeveloperEdition supports UMTS band 1700, but the AT&T version does not. Also according to , LTE band 5 is not used in the North America.

Default Re: Moto X: Unlocked vs Carrier Version

I had a MotoMaker, unlocked and received the 4.4 update from Motorola even though I am on AT&T. I now have the Dev Edition and also received the update.

Sent from my XT1053 using AC Forums mobile app
    Blackberry Storm 1> Blackberry Storm 2> Samsung Mesmerize>Motorola Electrify>AT&T SG3>AT&T SG4> AT&T Optimus G Pro>AT&T LG G2

Quote Originally Posted by UncleMike View Post
    According to , the AT&T version supports LTE bands 5 & 7, but the unlocked/T-Mobile/DeveloperEdition does not; while the unlocked/T-Mobile/DeveloperEdition supports UMTS band 1700, but the AT&T version does not. Also according to , LTE band 5 is not used in the North America.
    Im not sure about the specifics but it seems the Dev edition and TMo editions are basically the same besides being able to customize the TMo version.

Quote Originally Posted by mandoman28 View Post
    I had a MotoMaker, unlocked and received the 4.4 update from Motorola even though I am on AT&T. I now have the Dev Edition and also received the update.

Ry

Global Posts
    7,207 Global Posts

SIM-unlocked US GSM model is the "T-Mobile" model. Remember, T-Mobile does not sell nor carry the Moto X.

The GSM developer edition is essentially the "T-Mobile" model with an official boot loader unlock option.

a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
    Thanked by:
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,207 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mandoman28 View Post

The updates come from Motorola. The carriers just give the go/no-go for their models.

a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
    scrounger likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    SIM-unlocked US GSM model is the "T-Mobile" model. Remember, T-Mobile does not sell nor carry the Moto X.

The GSM developer edition is essentially the "T-Mobile" model with an official boot loader unlock option.

That's what I was thinking, Ry.

Global Posts
    527 Global Posts

does the unlocked GSM version have the carrier name in the notification bar? I know the AT&T version does, but wondering if the regular GSM version does or not?

Quote Originally Posted by dwd3885 View Post
    does the unlocked GSM version have the carrier name in the notification bar? I know the AT&T version does, but wondering if the regular GSM version does or not?
    No carrier branding whatsoever. Right off hand the only place I can recall seeing T-Mobile is in the notification shade (Only when you pull it down). Also, on the status screen in the About Phone section. Other than that it's vanilla.

Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by dwd3885 View Post
    That isn't carrier branding, every phone have that, it's to let you know what network you are presently connected to.

Global Posts
    527 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by someguy01234 View Post
    That isn't carrier branding, every phone have that, it's to let you know what network you are presently connected to.
    No. Not true at all. The Nexus 5 doesn't have that. I'm talking about the text in the bar next to notifications, not on the pull down menu.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk