View Poll Results: How much do you use touchless control?

Voters
132. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heavily

48 36.36%
  • Occasionally

57 43.18%
  • Rarely

16 12.12%
  • Never

11 8.33%
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree26Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Moto X: Do you use touchless control?

Just curious to see how much use this feature gets by fellow Moto X owners,
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 01-26-2014 at 07:48 PM.

Default Re: Moto X: Do you use touchless control?

I do not use it personally.

Almost every day.

Only when I'm showing it to someone who hasn't seen it otherwise, no. I never really seen a use for talking to my phone be it via Siri or Google Now

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

I use the ok google now, what time is it, when not wanting to get out of bed. And a little bit for using navigation while driving, but that is about it. Active notifications is a far more killer feature IMO.
    Thanked by:
    mumfoau and dsw1519 like this.

Not really but I did use it today to set an alarm which was nice and easy. I feel weird talking to my phone like that though. I've tried to get it to read my messages to me while I'm driving but I can't figure it out.

Posted via Android Central App
    Banned

Global Posts
    933 Global Posts

Use it every night to set an alarm and in the car, it is the ONLY way I interact with my phone.

LOVE the Find My Phone command! Need to use that at least once a week.
    dmark44 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ttfn92 View Post
    Not really but I did use it today to set an alarm which was nice and easy. I feel weird talking to my phone like that though. I've tried to get it to read my messages to me while I'm driving but I can't figure it out.

Assist has to be enabled. It will recognize that you are driving and then ask you if you want your messages read aloud and if you want to respond.

I use it quite a bit, mainly while getting ready for work since I'll be too busy to actually hold my phone (check weather, SMS, etc).

Posted via Moto X
    Banned

Global Posts
    933 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    Assist has to be enabled. It will recognize that you are driving and then ask you if you want your messages read aloud and if you want to respond.
    GPS has to be enabled, too for it to recognize that you are driving.

Quote Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
    I use the ok google now, what time is it, when not wanting to get out of bed. And a little bit for using navigation while driving, but that is about it. Active notifications is a far more killer feature IMO.
    Agreed about the active notifications.

Quote Originally Posted by Cozume View Post
    GPS has to be enabled, too for it to recognize that you are driving.
    Leaving the GPS enabled has not hurt my battery life. I called my wife this afternoon from the car hands free.

I have all three assist functions active and still great battery life.

We used voice requests on Maui for navigation without a problem.

These things are not what is killing some peoples batteries. GPS only goes active when needed.

People with battery life issues have other rogue apps that are killing their batteries.

Find the real issues and use the functions that the Moto X has and enjoy them.

Chris

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app

I use it daily. I use "OK Google now" and I say text. "x". It asks me what I want to say in the message... And then it asks if I want to send it. I say yes and it sends it. I use it when I'm driving all the time. It's the best feature of the phone.

Posted via my Moto X Vzw DE

I occasionally use it when I'm driving, but it can't find places in my directory, only places that can be google-searched, which limits its usefulness to me. If I could say, "navigate to john smith's house" and have it find John Smith in my contacts and look up the home address and go there, I would use it a lot more. I've tried it for calling my husband, but the interface for calling someone with more than one number is awkward, and is more distracting when I drive then just pushing buttons. I don't really text, and it doesn't do anything for emails.
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,207 Global Posts

Daily.

a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    It is enabled and shows when I am driving. It will say on the screen, say listen, and I do but then I can't hear it. It looks like it is doing something though and then the screen will say, would you like to reply. I've only gotten a text twice while in driving mode. The first time when I was driving and couldn't look at it too closely to see what to do and the second was when my husband was driving and I tried hard to follow the directions so it would work. Volume was on too.

Banned

Global Posts
    933 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ttfn92 View Post
    It is enabled and shows when I am driving. It will say on the screen, say listen, and I do but then I can't hear it. It looks like it is doing something though and then the screen will say, would you like to reply. I've only gotten a text twice while in driving mode. The first time when I was driving and couldn't look at it too closely to see what to do and the second was when my husband was driving and I tried hard to follow the directions so it would work. Volume was on too.
    Is the bluetooth on and do you have a bluetooth device connected?

Quote Originally Posted by Puzzlegal View Post
    I occasionally use it when I'm driving, but it can't find places in my directory, only places that can be google-searched, which limits its usefulness to me. If I could say, "navigate to john smith's house" and have it find John Smith in my contacts and look up the home address and go there, I would use it a lot more. I've tried it for calling my husband, but the interface for calling someone with more than one number is awkward, and is more distracting when I drive then just pushing buttons. I don't really text, and it doesn't do anything for emails.
    Just şay the persons name and which number say "call John Doe mobile or home or work... Nothing to navigate that way.

I find Moto Assist to be useless in the car. Seems to have major problems with a lot of Bluetooth systems as described two posts above which is weird since Google Now works perfectly over Bluetooth itself. I ended up just replacing it with a third party app for voice text.

Global Posts
    353 Global Posts

Everyday when I'm driving.

I use it every day for navigation, setting appointments and alarms, and generally looking up things.

I do wish it wouldn't false start so often. There are times that I drive home to find my Moto X is trying to interpret: "Pick a ******* lane, you stupid *******!"

Just like most, I also use it occasionally while driving, usually for traffic, verbally responding to texts, or just asking Google Now general questions that pop in my head.

I find it useful, and it generally does a great job of understanding my commands.
    Moto X (Olive Green, Black front, Orange accents (Dec. 2013)
    Previously: Samsung Galaxy Nexus (Dec. 2011) - Droid X (July 2010) - Blackberry Tour 9630 (July 2009) - Dumbphones (pre-July 2009)

While driving and before going to sleep.

Global Posts
    6,693 Global Posts
    ROM
    Nexus(AOKP-jb_4.2.1)

I use it everyday

I use it to call people, to navigate to places, and occasionally to search google. I'd probably use it more if I drove a car regularly.

I use it a lot at home and in the car. I don't use it in public too much because of the superdork-factor of talking to your phone.

Some examples in the car (most, if not all, of these examples work even if you have a password/PIN-protected lock screen)

"Navigate to ..."
    "How long will it take to drive to ..."
    "Listen to Miley Cyrus" (ok, maybe not M.C., but Touchless Control is outstanding with Google Play Music and I use this one a lot)

Some examples at home:

"Set timer for 8 minutes"
    "Wake me up in 20 minutes"
    "Did the Penguins win tonight?"
    "Will it rain today?"
    "How many teaspoons in a tablespoon?"
    "Call John Smith mobile"
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast