Is it the lower specs that make this phone so smooth?

anon(464338)

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
I was just thinking I have a note 2, an iphone 5, 4s and an HTC One in the house belonging to my wife and kids. I use these every now and then when my X is charging or whatever and when I come back to the X, I'm so amazed how fluid the phone performs comparatively . I'm mostly noticing the scrolling compared to other Android devices but it is also surprising to see it also keep up with iPhone. So I know the phone is Hella optimized but why dont other makers make their phones more like we'll.. Iphone? .. as much as I hate to say. The experience is soo much more enjoyable. Is it the flashing higher specs and marketing fooling everyone?? What's the point in high specs if it performs like a turd? This phone has taught me a lot!

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: Is it the lower specs..

.. That make this phone so darn smooth?? I was just thinking I have a note 2, an iphone 5, 4s and an HTC One in the house belonging to my wife and kids. I use these every now and then when my X is charging or whatever and when I come back to the X, I'm so amazed how fluid the phone performs comparatively . I'm mostly noticing the scrolling compared to other Android devices but it is also surprising to see it also keep up with iPhone. So I know the phone is Hella optimized but why dont other makers make their phones more like we'll.. Iphone? .. as much as I hate to say. The experience is soo much more enjoyable. Is it the flashing higher specs and marketing fooling everyone?? What's the point in high specs if it performs like a turd? This phone has taught me a lot!

Posted via Android Central App

+1 lot of people complain about lower spec but in fact the processor is an optimized Quad core chip. while other phones are quad core but the additional 2 cores never get used(except in hard core games).

for example the contextual processing core is used to handle things like the screen, sensors and touch elements( optimzed quad core)

here is why its smooth

1. Pure Android and less bloats unlike TouchWiz and LG's Skin
2. Moto X specific optimization. infact developers are using Moto X specific optimization for building ROMs for other devices
3. GPU is very powerful and it is optimized

Performance preview: The Moto X sports a great GPU, respectable CPU | Ars Technica

Some Spec junkies never understand this.. all they want is bigger battery instead of long lasting battery. higher core instead of smooth device. higher ppi instead of high quality screen

Last edited:

jlgraham

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site

Anandtech has some really detailed performance breakdowns in their review of the Moto X. They compare the processor performance to a lot of other phones.

If you want to see it compared to the iPhone, look up their review of the iPhone 5s, since that came out afterwards. In many areas, the Moto X meets or exceeds the performance of Apple's new chip.

AnandTech | Moto X Review

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

I ran benchmarks of the Moto X at the store and even with all the stuff installed it outperform my Nexus 4 which is highly modified. So the Moto X is no slouch in term of performance. One reason that persuade me to get it.

fernandez21

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
I would say one of the big reasons is the lower resolution. While the other flagships are trying to push out 1080p, the moto x only has to do 720p which taxes the GPU less. The GPU is also the same found in the HTC One and Galaxy S4, and is more powerful than the one found in the Note 2. Plus the software is really optimized, my Moto X runs smoother than my Note 3, even though my Note has a more powerful processor and GPU.

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site

+1 lot of people complain about lower spec but in fact the processor is an optimized Quad core chip. while other phones are quad core but the additional 2 cores never get used(except in hard core games).

Yes! Thank you! Plus, it's not surprising that in the time that Moto developed and produced their X8 system that the chip manufacturers released newer versions of their chips.

Sent from my Moto X

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The Moto X is low spec'd? Aside from the screen resolution, I'd say anyone claiming it is low or midrange "spec'd" doesn't understand how specs work. And that's before the obvious fact that they have no clue how specs relate to performance. If the X8 can out perform just about every S600 (same chip, 2 more cores) and many S800s, it's clearly the more innovative processor.

brian7751

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
Do u mean scrolling is slower like choppy or when you flick it doesnt scroll down the page fast enough

Last edited:

ETPhoneHomeT

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
The scrolling feels slow to me compared to iphone. Is there a way to speed it up?

Two options that you might try:
1) Go into Developer options and there are settings you can adjust for animation scale faster or slower.
Here's a link on how to enable Developer options on the Moto X if you haven't already: https://motorola-global-portal.cust.../30,6720,8696/reg/348778/kw/debug/action/auth
2) Install a 3rd party launcher. I have Nova Prime and it has adjustments for scrolling speeds in the settings.

ballisticn8

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Two options that you might try:
1) Go into Developer options and there are settings you can adjust for animation scale faster or slower.
Here's a link on how to enable Developer options on the Moto X if you haven't already: https://motorola-global-portal.cust.../30,6720,8696/reg/348778/kw/debug/action/auth
2) Install a 3rd party launcher. I have Nova Prime and it has adjustments for scrolling speeds in the settings.

**NOVA SPEED!!!!!!** lol.

Seriously though Nova has a ton of options, and I know there are other launchers but Nova is what I'm familiar with so I'll add to the post above.

Scroll Speeds in Nova are as follows:

Relaxed - Sit back and enjoy the beautiful animations
Stock - Google knows best, speeds that match the standard Android Launcher
Nova - Nova
Fast - Speed takes clear priority over animations
Faster than light - Forget animations, make it fast

The stock launchers have a specific lag speed for transitions and animations built into it. You can go around that using the dev settings or install a third party launcher like Nova, your call.

ballisticn8

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site

I'll trade with ya! In trying to get rid of my X

Sent from my XT1053 using AC Forums mobile app

If we were local and could meet face to face I'd possibly take you up on that. Unfortunately family and work require that I not be without a phone and the deal locally that I had for a 32 gig Moto X and $ for my Note 3 fell through so I'm going to be rocking the Note 3 until I can work something out.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

It feels like Motorola used software optimization to provide a smooth experience rather than just throw the highest-end specs at the project.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site

It feels like Motorola used software optimization to provide a smooth experience rather than just throw the highest-end specs at the project.

But MOAR CORES!! Who cares about optimization when they can play the Samsung and LG game of MOAR CORES?

sooner7

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site

I don't know what they did to optimize this thing but on ART, the Moto X is equal to the iPhone 5s in fluidity.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site

I recognize this is a fairly common sentiment. Motorola's efforts to favor 'the experience over the specs' ? at the risk of oversimplifying the issue ? were successful not only due to the hardware-critical features they built, but the software optimizations as well. The Moto X includes an optimized version of Dalvik authored by Qualcomm (which is also available for the Nexus devices by the way).

Here's my question, though: for those who perceive the Moto X's performance to be superior to that of other recent flagships, how does the introduction of ART on either side change the comparison?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2