1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    18 Global Posts

Default Otterbox Commuter Case

Hi. I know there are lots of case threads, but I still have a question: If I get a Moto X Otterbox Commuter Case, will it mess up my ability to swipe into apps?

As more and more apps get UI overhauls, most of them (Youtube, Drive, etc.) are dealt with by swiping into menus from the left.

I am getting a Moto X (just ordered my unlocked for 299!) and am wondering. My SEIDO case for my nexus 4 prevented me from swiping from the left, so I was not able to fully use my phone the way I would if I had my naked phone. I got a new, more minimalist case and it does not prevent me from doing it.

Basically, for those of you who have the Moto X Commuter case, does it prevent you from swiping into menus and things like in the Google Play Store App?

I am trying to decide between a Commuter and a smaller, thinner, more minimalist case.

If there are other suggestions for smaller cases that provide good protection, let me know!

Thanks!

James

Default Re: Otterbox Commuter Case

Makes me wonder why you want a case that would limit the ability of your phone.

I have a Bear Motion case on my X. Picked it up for 6 dollars on Amazon and I love it. Actually, picked up two.

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

I got a commuter case that I tried on once. I didn't notice a usability problem but didn't really test it extensively. It's too bulky for me to want to leave on. I got it to use only when I use my phone on my bike mount. Don't intend on using it any other time. I'll put it on and test it if no one else comes back with an answer.

Sent from my Moto X

Quote Originally Posted by mynameis... View Post
    Makes me wonder why you want a case that would limit the ability of your phone.
    He doesn't, that's why he asked 😃

Sent from my Moto X

I have a commuter case and sometimes it gets in the way when I try to move an icon from one screen to the next. After getting my mime tempered glass screen protector I have ditched the case and don't plan on going back..

Posted via Android Central App

I have to admit even my thinner TPU case can make it difficult to move icons between home screens. But the TPU case hasn't given me problems with swiping menus or screens left or right.

Sent from my Moto X

Just tried the Commuter case. No problem swiping one or two handed between screens. I swiped to the camera from the lock screen, pulled context menus from the left such as in Google Music. I will say my fingers swiped over the sharp corners of the case edge (a bit annoying) but didn't prevent the action.

I included a picture so you can see this just a sliver of a gap between the actual screen and the case. Plus you can see the hard corner that you swipe to/from on the case. Please forgive the lousy ipad 2 camera.

Sent from my Moto X
    Thanked by:
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    18 Global Posts

Thanks for your replies. That'd exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks a lot guys, I always know I can count on the AC community!

Posted via Android Central App

No complaints about the Commuter's form factor when it comes to using the phone.

I will say that there's a couple of slick spots on the side. I've ended up sending mine half way across the room a couple of time when I was picking it up and not paying attention. I'm thinking about moving on to another case.
    Thanked by: