Unlocked v without contract?

PiggyMiddle

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
Hi All,

This $299 special shows "without contract" on the email I received. Does that really mean unlocked?

If so then why don't they say that?

I want to use it for a prepaid account and need it unlocked - I think. Only limited knowledge (5-days) with a smart phone.

Thanks

jlgraham

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
"Unlocked" refers to the sim card, and means you can put a sim from any compatible carrier (see below) in the phone and it will work. "Off-Contract" means that you have no contract with your, but it does not necessarily mean that the phone is "sim unlocked" for free use on any carrier. A phone can be "without contract" without necessarily being "unlocked".

The different carrier models feature different radio bands, although there is a lot of interoperability nowadays. For instance, I've seen online that people have success using the Verizon Moto X on T-Mobile, depending on the specific area and the radio bands used. To my knowledge, all the Moto X's you can buy through Moto Maker are "unlocked" for use on any network*, but I am not absolutely sure. I know that my Verizon Moto X is unlocked, but I'm not sure about the other options.

*Double check the specific model you purchased, and the radio bands that it supports. Cross reference those with the bands used by the carrier you are planning on using, and make sure that the Moto X you purchased supports all the bands for that carrier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech