Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Verizon: Should I get the Moto X Developer Edition?

So I took advantage of this today. I really wanted to take advantage of personalization, but am reading that for Verizon, the developer edition is the way to go.

What are the main benefits of Developer Edition??

I am excited for this. I love my HTC One, but am a sucker for new stuff.

Posted via Android Central App
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 01-28-2014 at 12:11 PM.
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,202 Global Posts

Default Re: Verizon: Should I get the Developer Edition?

Quote Originally Posted by scottfish View Post
    So I took advantage of this today. I really wanted to take advantage of personalization, but am reading that for Verizon, the developer edition is the way to go.

What are the main benefits of Developer Edition??

I am excited for this. I love my HTC One, but am a sucker for new stuff.

Posted via Android Central App
    Only get the DE if you're sure you'll be doing modifications to your device outside the normal scope of use (rooting, custom ROMs).
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

Global Posts
    257 Global Posts

If you don't want custom colors and you want 32gb then the dev version makes more sense. In the case of 4.4 Google broke exchange. The only real way to fix it is to put the exchange apks from 4.4.2 in /system/apps, which requires root. You can root a non dev unit but it is not as easy.

If you want custom colors or 16gb then save $50 and get a moto maker version.

Otherwise not much reason for a dev unit to me. I used to flash custom roms all the time but I was always seeking stock android. Now we have it with the x and improvements too.

Quote Originally Posted by scottfish View Post
    I really wanted to take advantage of personalization, but am reading that for Verizon, the developer edition is the way to go.
    According to whom? I'm on Verizon and used to flash ROMs all the time on my previous phones. I feel absolutely no need for a developer edition in order to root and flash ROMs, though. I don't care about any of that at all anymore with my Moto X.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    According to whom? I'm on Verizon and used to flash ROMs all the time on my previous phones. I feel absolutely no need for a developer edition in order to root and flash ROMs, though. I don't care about any of that at all anymore with my Moto X.
    Had read a post somewhere on another forum, but there was no clear explanation why. That's why I asked here.

Glad I did. I will get the Moto Maker version and not look back.
    LCW

Global Posts
    1,183 Global Posts
    ROM
    JB 4.1.1 (JRO03C)

Does the woven white back on the VZW Dev edition get dirty easily?
    ***SOLD but not forgotten***
    Google Nexus One

The AC masses will tell you that you should blindly go for the developer's edition, but the truth of it is that if you don't know why you need the developer's edition, you don't need the developer's edition. It really is that simple.
    I customized my signature using Motomaker
    Thanked by 3:
    jschu22, Ry, dmark44 and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by tdizzel View Post
    The AC masses will tell you that you should blindly go for the developer's edition, but the truth of it is that if you don't know why you need the developer's edition, you don't need the developer's edition. It really is that simple.
    So. much. truth.
    Wildo6882 likes this.

Global Posts
    2,265 Global Posts
    ROM
    Clean ROM

Quote Originally Posted by LCW View Post
    Does the woven white back on the VZW Dev edition get dirty easily?
    Nope for me its fine

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
    I'm a superuser
    mbar9607 likes this.

Yeah... I have the developer edition. I have no plans to root or anything. I am hoping maybe a little more in resale value if I ever go down the road to sell. Only reason I got it is because of the black Friday fiasco and was able to get it in cart. It stays clean just fine but I also have supcase on it. I will say the woven white is slick as can be.

Posted via my Moto X DE
    dmark44 likes this.

I am also trying to decide whether to get the DE. While I have no intention of rooting or using roms, a customized motomaker 32 gb version isn't all that appealing either because while I like the idea of choosing colors, I will be using a case which would cover any colors I would choose. The only thing I can think of is that if or when I decide to sell the DE, I might get more money for it than I would get for motomaker version since Verizon sells the motomaker version for as low as $99 on contract but the DE version is not available for a subsidized price from Verizon. Also, I'm uncertain bc while I can get a 32 gb motomaker version for $99 using an upgrade on a feature phone line, and sell my Razr Maxx HD, if I purchase it off contract using the code from today's sale, I can save the upgrade for when the X2 is released and sell whichever version I buy from Motorola. Am I missing something or looking at this decision wrong?
    Banned

Global Posts
    933 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by del2327 View Post
    The only thing I can think of is that if or when I decide to sell the DE, I might get more money for it than I would get for motomaker version since Verizon sells the motomaker version for as low as $99 on contract but the DE version is not available for a subsidized price from Verizon.
    The Verizon Dev Ed is the only Verizon Moto X with an unlockable bootloader. So I think it will have a higher resale value than an ordinary Verizon Moto X because even if you don't care about being able to unlock your bootloader, other people do. Just make sure you unlock it as soon as you get it because unlocking it wipes your phone.

Also, I'm uncertain bc while I can get a 32 gb motomaker version for $99 using an upgrade on a feature phone line, and sell my Razr Maxx HD, if I purchase it off contract using the code from today's sale, I can save the upgrade for when the X2 is released and sell whichever version I buy from Motorola. Am I missing something or looking at this decision wrong?
    Let's do the math.

Off contract Dev Ed is $350 with the code. Based on current swappa prices, you should net about $200 after paypal fees, swappa fees and shipping with insurance for your Razr Maxx HD. If you did, $350 - $200 = $150. Of course I neglected tax on the $350 because I don't know your tax rate, but you could figure that out.

Then when the Moto X2 comes out, you could sell your Verizon Moto X Dev Ed (which is GSM SIM unlocked out of the box) and if you could net at least $150 on it, you would break even except for the tax on the $350. And you would have your upgrade available to get the Moto X2 when it comes out.
    Thanked by:
    Banned

Global Posts
    933 Global Posts

if I purchase it off contract using the code from today's sale,
    Don't forget you can get a $100 prepaid VISA from motorola to tradeup to a Moto X if you buy a used Motorola Admiral off of ebay for $20 and send it in. So that nets you another $80.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Cozume View Post
    Don't forget you can get a $100 prepaid VISA from motorola to tradeup to a Moto X if you buy a used Motorola Admiral off of ebay for $20 and send it in. So that nets you another $80.
    Good to know. I wasn't sure if I could do this since it says that Verizon customers are supposed to buy the phone in the store. I emailed Motorola customer service about the trade up program to ask and within an hour was told I would be eligible even if I purchased the phone direct from Motorola. Thanks for letting me know about this!
    Banned

Global Posts
    933 Global Posts

Good to know. I wasn't sure if I could do this since it says that Verizon customers are supposed to buy the phone in the store. I emailed Motorola customer service about the trade up program to ask and within an hour was told I would be eligible even if I purchased the phone direct from Motorola. Thanks for letting me know about this!
    You're welcome! I got a Motorola Admiral for $17 shipped off of ebay. Remember, it cannot have a cracked screen, must be functional and the ESN/IMEI must be clear and ready to be activated.

If you buy a Motorola Droid, the promo is different. For that promo, you have to do your trade up in a Verizon store and you get a $100 Verizon gift card.

If you buy a Moto X, you do the trade up by mail and you get a $100 prepaid VISA.

Between the sale and the $100 prepaid VISA, it really makes the Moto X a steal!

Like its been said there is really no dev for the Moto X. From what I've read and understood Gravity Box Xposed Module and near to 100% stock android make the dev edition obsolete.
    Banned

Global Posts
    933 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ballisticn8 View Post
    Like its been said there is really no dev for the Moto X. From what I've read and understood Gravity Box Xposed Module and near to 100% stock android make the dev edition obsolete.
    There is for Verizon if you want to unlock your bootloader.

where have you found roms and dev work for the dev edition? Dev sections as far as roms go on some of the other well known sites are non-existent everywhere I've looked. Thats why I myself had been wondering if it was actually worth it do get the dev vs moto maker edition.

Global Posts
    257 Global Posts

where have you found roms and dev work for the dev edition? Dev sections as far as roms go on some of the other well known sites are non-existent everywhere I've looked. Thats why I myself had been wondering if it was actually worth it do get the dev vs moto maker edition.
    If you dont want any of the custom colors (or you like the dev edition colors) then it makes sense to get it - it's free compared to the 32gb moto x and it lets you root easily.

If you want to change the colors on the outside then dont get a dev edition. But my dev edition looks like half of all the moto x's out there (including the wood back ones) because it's in a case...so you can only see the black front. I went through the moto maker and my favorite color combination was...black on black lol. If I could get a dev edition with a wood back I would do it, but I would still have it in a case.

Also I *think* you can only get 32gb on verizon with the dev edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Clocks View Post
    Also I *think* you can only get 32gb on verizon with the dev edition.
    It is possible to get a 32 gb non-developer edition on Verizon using motomaker. I don't think you can get directly from Verizon though.
    Thanked by:
    Clocks 
    Ry likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    933 Global Posts

It is possible to get a 32 gb non-developer edition on Verizon using motomaker. I don't think you can get directly from Verizon though.
    Correct, you can only get the 16GB through Verizon that is why if you get the 32GB Moto X it doesn't make sense to get the Verizon insurance since you will get a 16GB moto x as a CLNR if you need one.
    Banned

Global Posts
    933 Global Posts

I want an unlocked bootloader because it makes rooting easier from what I have read. Also, if you have an unlocked bootloader, isn't it practically impossible to brick your device if you screw up rooting whereas if you have locked bootloader you can brick your device? Because with an unlocked bootloader you can always flash the factory images back if you need to. That is my understanding anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by Cozume View Post
    Correct, you can only get the 16GB through Verizon that is why if you get the 32GB Moto X it doesn't make sense to get the Verizon insurance since you will get a 16GB moto x as a CLNR if you need one.
    That does not seem right. While you can only buy the 32 gb version using motomaker, when buying the 32 gb version, you can add a Verizon line, upgrade an existing Verizon line or buy one off contract. It is hard to believe that if someone was to add a line of service or upgrade an existing line when purchasing a 32 gb version that Verizon and Asurion would only provide a 16gb replacement. In addition, if you purchase an off contract Moto X for Verizon, they are currently permitting open enrollment into their insurance program. So, I would be inclined to buy an off contract version and insure it since Verizon phones cannot get the Motorola insurance plan.
    Banned

Global Posts
    933 Global Posts

That does not seem right. While you can only buy the 32 gb version using motomaker, when buying the 32 gb version, you can add a Verizon line, upgrade an existing Verizon line or buy one off contract.
    you are not buying from verizon, though, only from Motorola. And Verizon will not let Motorola offer us the extended warranty plan that Motorola offers.

It is hard to believe that if someone was to add a line of service or upgrade an existing line when purchasing a 32 gb version that Verizon and Asurion would only provide a 16gb replacement.
    Feel free to call yourself. I called both Verizon and Asurion and was told the same by both as have others. It really stinks.

In addition, if you purchase an off contract Moto X for Verizon, they are currently permitting open enrollment into their insurance program. So, I would be inclined to buy an off contract version and insure it since Verizon phones cannot get the Motorola insurance plan.
    You can insure it, but if you need to make a claim you will not get a 32GB model back according to both Verizon and Asurion.

Each person will have their own opinion but the DE is very appealing to me to know that it's a DE but knowing that I will never use it is why I'm going to customize my own.

I will only root for Ti Backup and Root Explorer. I have tried new ROMs but I end up going back to stock.
    Droid RAZR MAXX/Xoom/4510 LTE MiFi
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast