Moto X: Deciding between 16GB and 32GB, how much memory is enough (for apps, etc.)?

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
re: Deciding between 16GB and 32GB, how much memory is enough (for apps, etc.)?

Always get 32GB.

Beamed via my Nexus 7 from the AC Forums app.

kellygh5

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site

Everyone always says 32gb, and I can't argue against; however, I will say I came to the Moto X from another 16gb phone (HTC DNA), which everyone warned me against, and I have had no problems. I keep approx. 10 games (Candy Crush, Granny Apple, MindCraft) for the kids, quite a few learning & professional apps, and I frequently take pics & videos. I have never had a problem with storage on either device and have not needed to routinely dump into multimedia storage. I certainly recognize the benefits of more storage, especially if you might want to resell your phone, but 16 gb is absolutely doable & enough for many of us.

P.S. I do not store music on my device, and if you would like that option, then 32 gb is the better way to go, IMO.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

P.S. I do not store music on my device, and if you would like that option, then 32 gb is the better way to go, IMO.
Unless you have an UDP with a good signal, streaming music isn't an option for those of us who like to jog, bike, etc. and listen to music. I do have an UDP and my phone gets really hot and it drains the battery if I stream music for more than an hour so storing music on my phone is really nice for me.

tmann202

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site

I don't store much music on my device anymore as I stream either Play or Pandora. However, I am at ~50% memory used, and that is with 70+ apps and a Nandroid backup.

Games are getting bigger all the time, especially with ART. If you think you need to go bigger get the 32.

How badly does streaming music eat your battery and data (I plan on being on the 2GB GoPhone plan).

techitrucker

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site

I listen to about 8 hours of Podcasts a day and use about 5gigs of a thirty gig plan in a month. Should be comparable to streaming music. A high quality stream might use a tad more.

Posted via Android Central App

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

How badly does streaming music eat your battery and data (I plan on being on the 2GB GoPhone plan).

I have unlimited, so I don't really pay attention.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site

You've asked one of the questions that will get you an auto-answer. Many people on this site will tell you get 32GB without even paying attention to what your situation is. There are people who think that 32GB should be the minimum on any phone regardless of how many people say they don't need that much storage.
I've got a Droid Ultra with 16GB of storage and its more than enough for me. I've got over 100 apps, and a lot of photos. They are backed up to G+ but I haven't gotten around to deleting them from my phone. I don't have much music on my phone since I use All Access, but I do have a few songs pinned to my device. With what I have on my phone I still have plenty of space left. I took a trip from Michigan to California and I was able to load enough movies and TV shows to watch during the plane trip there and back. Reading what you say your usage will be, it sounds like you are similar to me and in that case 16GB will be plenty of space. I personally would never pay extra for more than 16GB of storage because I just don't need it.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

I don't have much music on my phone since I use All Access
Do you have an unlimited data plan and so you are able to stream music and not pay attention to how much data you use? Does streaming music eat up your battery and make your phone hot? Are you always in a good 4G LTE signal area so you can stream music without it pausing to buffer?

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site

Do you have an unlimited data plan and so you are able to stream music and not pay attention to how much data you use? Does streaming music eat up your battery and make your phone hot? Are you always in a good 4G LTE signal area so you can stream music without it pausing to buffer?

Yes I have unlimited data. I always have a good signal, I get around 30Mbps most of the time. I haven't had any issues with my Ultra with streaming eating the battery or heating up, but when I had my Bionic that was a pretty constant problem(I did't have All Access then, but any streaming I did was a problem)

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

Yes I have unlimited data. I always have a good signal, I get around 30Mbps most of the time.
Those of us who don't have UDPs and a good signal all the time have to store music on our phones and that can take up a lot of storage space depending on how much music you have.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: Deciding between 16GB and 32GB, how much memory is enough (for apps, etc.)?

My Moto X is the 16GB version and it's plenty so far, but I'm heavily cloud active & that works for me. If 32GB had been available they day I bought it, I'd have probably done that.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

I have the 16 GB model.It was the only model out when I purchased mine(Sept. 11).I have 19 apps that I downloaded, a few pictures.I still have 10.04 GB left, so far space hasnt been an issue.If the 32 GB model was available when I got mine I probably would have gotten it as long as it was in my price range, but I really wouldnt have need it so far.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

Streaming music uses about 60mb of data an hour

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Those of us who don't have UDPs and a good signal all the time have to store music on our phones and that can take up a lot of storage space depending on how much music you have.

All access still does allow you to pin music to your device. Using it this way without ULD does require a bit of proactive planning to pin enough/the right music onto the device while on wifi, etc. I tend to create playlists via browser while listening at work and stream those while working out, running and driving, but it'd work just as well to pin them.

fightcrazy

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I will never buy a phone with only 16 gb of memory, buy the 32, won't regret it. Better resale value as well.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

effreyj

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for the help everyone.

So that's it - no games or videos, and it takes up that much space (which much be right about at the limit of useable space)?

Hmmm - I won't be downloading games (except maybe if there is a blackjack available, which won't take up too much space) and don't take many videos and don't plan on using it as my music player (have a Clip Zip for that), but maybe I should go for the 32GB just to be safe. More than I wanted to pay, but it's doable.

Of my 75 apps, 4 are games. I have Rayman Jungle Run, Solitaire, Tetris, and Candy Crush. I have a Nexus 7, where I have a few larger games installed.

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
The way I feel too, if you use this device for two years, a year from now you may be using your Moto X in ways you aren't planning for right now. My 16gb ipad 2 felt sufficient at first and then when Apple came out with Retina displays all of the apps already on my ipad updated with higher resolution graphics and taking up more room in my device. All of the sudden 16 started feeling stuffy.

Sent from my Moto X

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the help everyone.
So that's it - no games or videos, and it takes up that much space (which much be right about at the limit of useable space)?

Hmmm - I won't be downloading games (except maybe if there is a blackjack available, which won't take up too much space) and don't take many videos and don't plan on using it as my music player (have a Clip Zip for that), but maybe I should go for the 32GB just to be safe. More than I wanted to pay, but it's doable.
If you don't plan to download a lot of games, and plan to use another device for your music, 16gb should be okay for you. Remember that wifi doesn't count against your monthly data cap, so if you spend your day in a place where you can use wifi, you can probably stream whatever you want.

That being said, I got the 32gb, and after loading it up with some of my music, I am over 16gb. But I am often in places with little or no reception, and like to keep copies of anything I might want to use on the phone.

No one ever regrets having too much storage on their phone, computer, etc. People often regret having not enough storage. So it largely depends on how price-sensitive you are. Will you miss the money? Then don't buy more than you need. Also, it's possible that in 2 years you will appreciate having an excuse to upgrade to a new phone.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

Streaming music uses about 60mb of data an hour
So if you work out 1 hour per day and stream music while you work out, that is 60MB x 30 days = 1800MB per month to stream music, which is about 1.75GB per month.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

All access still does allow you to pin music to your device. Using it this way without ULD does require a bit of proactive planning to pin enough/the right music onto the device while on wifi, etc. I tend to create playlists via browser while listening at work and stream those while working out, running and driving, but it'd work just as well to pin them.
That's a lot of work! If I didn't already own so much music or if I didn't have an UDP it would be worth it, though. But I do already own a lot of music and I like owning it outright. I also run in areas where the 4G LTE signal is spotty.

Also, I know this is disputed here but when I have streamed music, it doesn't sound the same quality to me as playing music that is stored on my device. I have never paid for a premium service before, though.

For an extra $50 + tax = $53 for me, it is a no brainer to get the 32GB.