• 1 Post By Richard Devine
  • 5 Post By Papadakis
  • 2 Post By asdrew
  • 1 Post By Cozume
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    AOKP JB-MR1 4.2.2

Thumbs up PSA: Ebony Natural Moto X trim material is metal

I don't know of anywhere that has pointed this out, and I certainly didn't know it, but I just got my ebony moto x the other day(gorgeous btw) and was pleasantly surprised to find out that the black/white trim around the back edge of the wood moto x's is metal!
    Thanked by 2:
    Banned

Global Posts
    933 Global Posts

Default Re: PSA: Ebony Natural Moto X trim material is metal

Quote Originally Posted by Papadakis View Post
    black/white trim around the back edge of the wood moto x's is metal!
    Ok that helps to explain the difference in feel. It feels a bit sharper than the plastic, but that also has to do with the wood being inlaid.

Got any photos of the Ebony to share with us all?
    Manning the AC Euro office since 2011
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

ROM
    AOKP JB-MR1 4.2.2

PSA: Ebony Natural Moto X trim material is metal-img_20140130_211920.jpg

PSA: Ebony Natural Moto X trim material is metal-moto-x-2.jpgPSA: Ebony Natural Moto X trim material is metal-moto-x-1.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Devine View Post
    This one is teak. The pic doesn't show it well enough, but the white frame around the wood has a different sheen and feel than the face.
    dmark44 and Westiemom like this.

PSA: The backing underneath what appears to be "walnut paint" is white plastic, as you can see from this defective unit.

PSA: Ebony Natural Moto X trim material is metal-2014-01-31-13.53.34.jpg
    Banned

Global Posts
    933 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Devine View Post
    There are pics on this thread:

Moto X: How Slippery are the Wood Backs?
    Banned

Global Posts
    933 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tbtregenza View Post
    PSA: The backing underneath what appears to be "walnut paint" is white plastic, as you can see from this defective unit.
    they are supposedly wood, but whatever finish is on them feels like the smooth touch plastic backs.

Quote Originally Posted by Cozume View Post
    they are supposedly wood, but whatever finish is on them feels like the smooth touch plastic backs.
    I see what you're saying - so the wood is actually missing underneath, so the white plastic is actually the top laminate layer. Still disappointing but I will keep it after my return struggles to date. I'm over it!
    Banned

Global Posts
    933 Global Posts

I see what you're saying - so the wood is actually missing underneath, so the white plastic is actually the top laminate layer. Still disappointing but I will keep it after my return struggles to date. I'm over it!
    I didn't follow your past issues, but I would send that pic to the powers that be at Moto and request a new one. We are first adopters wrt the wood backs so we have to accept that this is not a perfected process and we may need to return, but we don't have to accept defects.
    asdrew likes this.

^ Sent from my Lenovo X, lol Cozume

I didn't follow your past issues, but I would send that pic to the powers that be at Moto and request a new one. We are first adopters wrt the wood backs so we have to accept that this is not a perfected process and we may need to return, but we don't have to accept defects.
    I agree - I sent the picture to customer support and they stated that that was normal for the wood backs and that it was not defective. I will take it up with them again when I have more energy. So tiring.

I agree - I sent the picture to customer support and they stated that that was normal for the wood backs and that it was not defective. I will take it up with them again when I have more energy. So tiring.
    I ended up exchanging my initial ebony back for a new one because there were small wood blemishes on the side, like the ebony finish didn't go all the way through. Initially it didn't bother me, but eventually I contacted customer support, who also said it was normal.

However, that combined with the $100 off promo, I ended up returning it and getting the exact same, which is perfect now. If it keeps bothering you, just return/exchange it for another.
    Moto X (Olive Green, Black front, Orange accents (Dec. 2013)
    Previously: Samsung Galaxy Nexus (Dec. 2011) - Droid X (July 2010) - Blackberry Tour 9630 (July 2009) - Dumbphones (pre-July 2009)
    Thanked by:
    Banned

Global Posts
    933 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by asdrew View Post
    ^ Sent from my Lenovo X, lol Cozume
    yeah, that is my gallows humor *sniff*

- - - Updated - - -

try taking a pic with a real digital camera on macro setting. The CSR may not be able to tell from your picture.
    Thanked by:
    Banned

Global Posts
    933 Global Posts

Sounds like you have been pretty unlucky in this. On the Share Your Moto Maker Designs thread there is a poster posting pics of something similar to yours but in the middle of the back.

It looks like there is whitish plastic base and on top of that a layer of stained wood and then the wood is coated with what feels to me to be a polymer coating of some sort. So if the wood layer splits or is too thin, the whitish plastic peeks through. It still may be smooth to the touch though due to the coating on top of the wood.

Sounds like you have been pretty unlucky in this. On the Share Your Moto Maker Designs thread there is a poster posting pics of something similar to yours but in the middle of the back.

It looks like there is whitish plastic base and on top of that a layer of stained wood and then the wood is coated with what feels to me to be a polymer coating of some sort. So if the wood layer splits or is too thin, the whitish plastic peeks through. It still may be smooth to the touch though due to the coating on top of the wood.
    Yeah I think I've decided to live with it. Already activated it and gotten all my apps loaded up, etc. I love the phone so far, and I'm not going to be too picky with the detail there. I have seen other examples of it too and if I sent it back and got a similarly defective replacement I'd blow a gasket lol.
    Banned

Global Posts
    933 Global Posts

I have seen other examples of it too and if I sent it back and got a similarly defective replacement I'd blow a gasket lol.
    You don't have to return it to get a replacement if you can float the charge for the second one on a credit card. Just get an RMA for this one and then order the second one. You will receive the second one before the first one has to ship back so you will be able to compare the 2 and decide which one to ship back.

They need to perfect the process of manufacturing these wood backs. On the other threads, several people have received backs with dimples in them.

Looks to me like the wood backs are a thin veneer of wood over a metal substrate. This is probably better. Won't warp or split like solid wood. Does mean that the veneer could potentially wear out and reveal the back material over time. If the finish is done well though it shouldn't be a problem. I wonder if keys in pockets could potentially scratch through the veneer layer though?