1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Battery Stats: Wifi Shows Always On, Even when Off

Searched around but didn't seem to find this specific issue in the forums.

So let me start by saying I'm getting great battery life, no issues there. The problem (if you can call it that) I've noticed is that in my battery stats menu, it always shows Wifi as being on, even when I've turned Wifi off and am not using it.

The example below is from this morning. Phone came off the charger at 100% battery when I went for lunch at noon (I actually turned Wifi off in the settings at this time), at around 2PM I looked at the battery stats menu and noticed that the bar representing Wifi is solid blue for the entire reporting time, which to me means the phone thinks Wifi is on (or connected? Not sure what the blue represents) the whole time. Everything else seems to be fine, GPS, Awake, Screen times seem accurate. I was using maps and Yelp a lot so the battery drain and GPS times seem normal.

Anyone else notice this or am I missing something? In my settings I have Wifi set to stay on during sleep, but that shouldn't matter because my phone wasn't "sleeping" most of the time anyways.

Battery Stats: Wifi Shows Always On, Even when Off-screenshot_2014-01-31-13-53-41.png
    Current Device: Moto X VZW
    Previous: Galaxy Nexus, HTC Thunderbolt, Motorola Droid
    Before Android: Palm Pre, Blackberry Curve, Blackberry Pearl, iPhone (Original), Sidekick XL

Global Posts
    13,957 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Default Re: Battery Stats: Wifi Shows Always On, Even when Off

Try turning that off. See if that changes.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu 'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here

Quote Originally Posted by jlgraham View Post
    In my settings I have Wifi set to stay on during sleep,
    Uncheck the setting below that one, "Scanning always available. Let's Google's location service and other apps....., even when Wifi is off."

I've had something like this, but with GPS...
    Exact same thing, that did not affect battery life at all, just a bug with the stats. It was present some times after using some app (different ones) that uses GPS... Then turned everything off, but for some reason android thought GPS was still on and operational...

Enviado desde mi XT1058 usando Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    5,581 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

I had this issue with SlimBean ROM. Not sure what fixed it but I have "WiFi always on during sleep" unchecked, and the "Let Google scan for available WiFi networks" also unchecked

Posted via Android Central App
    Everything in this post is 100% accurate...I think

R.I.P. Motorola...and what could have been the best smartphone line ever

Global Posts
    5,581 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Here's what my advanced settings look like

Sent from my SGH-M919 using AC Forums mobile app
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Battery Stats: Wifi Shows Always On, Even when Off-1391213244401.jpg  

7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Alex View Post
    Uncheck the setting below that one, "Scanning always available. Let's Google's location service and other apps....., even when Wifi is off."
    Thanks for the tips! I missed that setting but just checked and it is off already. I'll try toggling WiFi sleep over the weekend and see if anything changes. I like to leave it on at the office because I am up in the mountains and while I do get LTE, the signal isn't always strong. Like I said, it doesn't seem to be affecting battery life, which has been great for me, so I'm not too concerned.

Posted via Android Central App on my Moto X
    Before Android: Palm Pre, Blackberry Curve, Blackberry Pearl, iPhone (Original), Sidekick XL

Hi,

can I ask which ROM you are using? Stock?

Very strange thing, I had discovered Exactly the Same bug but on my Oppo Find5 with Kitkat 4.4.2. I thought it's a bug of the ROM (Omnirom) but maybe it's somewhat deeper.

I noticed the exact same behavior, wifi stat bar is always 100% even if the wifi is Proofen to go to deep sleep. I checked logcat and wifi is really going to sleep and wake up when i turn on the phone, but the wifi bar is displaying no gap at all. Always 100%. Luckily its just seems a display bug and not affecting real standby at all.

I submit a ROM Bug for it but now im not sure if it's really rom related or any other strange random bug in kitkat.

My bugreport to omnirom with logs and screenshots:

Global Posts
    5,581 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Quote Originally Posted by solariz1 View Post
    Hi,

Very strange thing, I had discovered Exactly the Same bug but on my Oppo Find5 with Kitkat 4.4.2. I thought it's a bug of the ROM (Omnirom) but maybe it's somewhat deeper.

I noticed the exact same behavior, wifi stat bar is always 100% even if the wifi is Proofen to go to deep sleep. I checked logcat and wifi is really going to sleep and wake up when i turn on the phone, but the wifi bar is displaying no gap at all. Always 100%. Luckily its just seems a display bug and not affecting real standby at all.

I submit a ROM Bug for it but now im not sure if it's really rom related or any other strange random bug in kitkat.

My bugreport to omnirom with logs and screenshots:
    It's not Kit Kat, because I'm on a JB ROM and still had the same issue. I posted the solution a few posts above

Posted via Android Central App

10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by solariz1 View Post
    Hi,

[/url]
    Stock, unrooted VZW Moto X on 4.4