Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Verizon MotoMaker, Which version?

Hi Everyone,

I'm considering swapping out my S3 for a X with this sale going on. I'm a Verizon customer, but not eligible for an upgrade so I'm buying full price. On MotoMaker for Verizon you have options of:

1.) New Customer
    2.) Exisiting Customer
    a.) New line
    b.) Upgrade
    3.) Off Contract

So my question is for those of you who have purchased the phone this way, I assume you'd choose the off contract version of the phone? My follow up is then since it's a nano-sim and not a micro-sim (or vice versa) would I then have to buy a new SIM from Verizon? Will the phone even work on the network since I know Verizon's pre-paid phones will not work on the post-pay network (or so is my understanding). If I choose upgrade, but it determines I'm not eligible then I'd have to pay full price but get a SIM with it? Just curious if anyone's knows the process.

I have an email request into Moto, but I thought I might get a quicker answer here.

Advanced Thanks!

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts

Default Re: Verizon MotoMaker, Which version?

Verizon hands out sims free of charge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure about the rest but you could cut the Micro sim from the S3 to a nano sim and put it in the Moto X

Posted via Android Central App

I'm on Verizon. I did off contract. It will ship with a Sim installed. I activated on line. Google backup for contacts and motomigrate for texts and call logs. Then you're good to go.

I'm on an individual plan with VZW that doesn't expire until June 2014. I had a RAZR Maxx and have a grandfathered unlimited data plan that I wanted to keep. I purchased my Moto X during the cyber Monday sale via the Motomaker site and chose the off contact option. The new Moto X arrived from the factory with a nano Sim pre-installed. I took it to a VZW store to let them activate it. They did that free of charge. So the Moto X took the place of my RAZR Maxx. I'm still under contract through June 2014. After that, I'm on a month to month plan. Very happy with the Moto X and just sold my RAZR Maxx on eBay.
    Banned

Global Posts
    933 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Photo_Drew View Post
    On MotoMaker for Verizon you have options of:

1.) New Customer
    2.) Exisiting Customer
    a.) New line
    b.) Upgrade
    3.) Off Contract
    You select "Off Contract" since you are paying full retail and not renewing your contract.

since it's a nano-sim and not a micro-sim (or vice versa) would I then have to buy a new SIM from Verizon?
    No, all the carrier branded Moto X's ship with a SIM card from the carrier and the GSM unlocked Moto X ships with a TMobile SIM card but can be used on ATT with an ATT SIM card (which you can get for free from ATT if you are current customer).

Will the phone even work on the network since I know Verizon's pre-paid phones will not work on the post-pay network (or so is my understanding).
    yes, of course it will work. This is not a pre-paid phone; it is an off contract phone. On Verizon, only the Moto G is a pre-paid phone.

If I choose upgrade,
    you cannot chose upgrade since you are not eligible for an upgrade. Choose off contract.

get a SIM with it?
    yes, they ship with Verizon SIM cards. Even if they didn't, Verizon would give you one for free if you are an existing customer. So let's say your friend gave you his already activated Moto X. You could walk into a Verizon corporate store and get a SIM card for it to put it on your account no questions asked. Or you can call and they will mail you one for free. Or you can order one from the website and they will mail it to you for free.
    Banned

Global Posts
    933 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DCSholtis View Post
    Not sure about the rest but you could cut the Micro sim from the S3 to a nano sim and put it in the Moto X
    no need to do this as all Moto X's ship with the appropriate nano SIM card installed.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Thanks everyone,

The confirmation was pretty much what I was thinking, but I wanted to be sure before I pulled the trigger. Going to have it in a week! woohoo.