Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Clocks
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Moto Care insurance worth it?

If not purchased with phone could it be purchased later?

Posted via Android Central App

ROM
    Stock

Default Re: Moto Care insurance worth it?

Up to 30 days later, I believe.

Not available with Verizon.

"Give it time. You will be assimilated, resistance is futile. You are only here to serve the green R2D2. posted by HKM"

If someone helps you find an answer, please Thank them with the button in their post.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by cordoni View Post

I just got the unlocked GSM through Moto Maker so I'll add the insurance later. Thanks!

I think it's worth it when you compare it to the insurance that's offered by the carriers and I like the fact that they send you a phone to use while they're repairing or replacing yours. I purchased it, but now I have some reservations given the impending transfer of ownership to Lenovo. The extended warranty is good for 2 years, but I'm wondering if there will still be the same level of support for the Moto X a year or a year and a half from now. It's a mystery exactly what, if any, changes will be made now that a new company will be overseeing Motorola, which is currently leading me to consider seeking a refund for the extended warranty. I figure, the phone comes with a 1 year warranty, so it's not like it's all or nothing at this point. I keep my phone in a case, so coverage for drops and spills isn't an overwhelming consideration for me personally. Thankfully, if you do decide to purchase it, they will refund your money in full within the first 60 days and after that time they will give you a prorated refund.

Global Posts
    333 Global Posts

The cost of the insurance plus the deductible is like half the price of the phone new (during this sale) . It's over 33% of the non sale price. Unless you are near certain you'll bust your phone (loss not covered) soon skip the insurance and buy a used one on swappa later this year for under $200 if you break it.
    Thanked by:
    asdrew 
    asdrew and ethertwist like this.

Quote Originally Posted by cordoni View Post

I've never really been one to buy phone insurance, but at $85 with $39 deductible, I think its a pretty decent deal. I'm giving one of these as a gift, and I'm going to let the recipient decide whether or not to buy the plan. Hopefully their old phone is worth $85 on ebay. Based on the degradation of AMOLED screens, I'd actually be happy if they dropped it, cracked the screen, and payed only $39 to have it replaced. Heck, maybe while they they're in there, they'd replace the non-removable battery as well.

If you break your phone it will cost $80+$39 ($119) vs. the $175 if you don’t buy it. $119 is a lot if you never break your phones, but mine has already broken so I bought the insurance after that for piece of mind. I never buy insurance on my phone but this one i think is worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by paisley99 View Post
    If you break your phone it will cost $80+$39 ($119) vs. the $175 if you don’t buy it. $119 is a lot if you never break your phones, but mine has already broken so I bought the insurance after that for piece of mind. I never buy insurance on my phone but this one i think is worth it.
    Can I ask how your phone broke and was the process of filing a claim easy? You only had to pay $39, right?

Quote Originally Posted by ethertwist View Post
    Can I ask how your phone broke and was the process of filing a claim easy? You only had to pay $39, right?
    I broke it before insurance, (dropped it on concrete) but i think a couple others have used the insurance and it seems the process was quite easy. I see sooooo many people with broken iphones and samsungs, I so don’t want to be that person. Lol.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by paisley99 View Post
    If you break your phone it will cost $80+$39 ($119) vs. the $175 if you dont buy it. $119 is a lot if you never break your phones, but mine has already broken so I bought the insurance after that for piece of mind. I never buy insurance on my phone but this one i think is worth it.
    Where does the $175 come from? Was that the cost to repair yours without insurance?

If so, what was the repair? Screen smashed??

Quote Originally Posted by tmann202 View Post
    Where does the $175 come from? Was that the cost to repair yours without insurance?

If so, what was the repair? Screen smashed??
    Ah, yes, that's what it would have been, mine was screen smashed, the internal screen I believe. Never paid it though cuz after i sent it in it got lost.

I bought it. The real deal is not if you break it once and get it fixed, which is $85 + $39 = $124, but if you break it a 2nd or 3rd time. If you break it twice without warranty, that's $350. With warranty it's only $163. A 3rd time, there is an even bigger difference. In all likelihood I won't break it, as I'm going to be as careful as possible in an effort to avoid all the hassle of returning it, getting a new one, etc. Plus I have a case on it. But $85 for 2 years of peace of mind? Worth it for me.

It was a much better deal when I had to spend $500+ for the DE before their price drop. Still a decent deal, especially when you consider how stupid expensive the carrier versions are.

Anyone else having second thoughts about buying the Moto Care insurance?

I just ordered my phone yesterday. I never buy insurance or extended warranties for electronics/appliances, but this is my 1st smartphone, so am not sure how fragile they are.. and I can be clumsy! Since coverage starts when the phone ships, I am unclear on what it would cover the 1st year vs what we already get with the regular warranty. If I dropped my phone and cracked the screen during the 1st year, would that be covered under the regular warranty anyway or would I need this insurance?