No flash, black pictures

PiggyMiddle

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
Last night tried to take a pic of the sleeping dog. Very low light so the viewing screen was all black. I tapped to take a pic thinking the flash would fix the darkness issue but no flash, but it did take a picture.

I tried Auto and Manual flash settings but still the same. I have five completely black pics in the gallery.

Is it me or Kitkat photo app?

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

Well, if you've tried flash auto and flash on, it's certainly not you. :)

There are a whole bunch of camera apps free on the play store. Download something else and give it a go. If you still can't turn on the flash, then there may be a bad wire.

Also, download a flashlight application - most of them use the flash LED. If none of THEM can turn on the LED, then you can be pretty sure it's hardware.

Your carrier/outlet will tell you to do a factory reset, so might as well try that, but it probably ain't gonna help (however, when they replace the phone it'll be as if you did a factory reset, so no harm in trying).

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Last night tried to take a pic of the sleeping dog. Very low light so the viewing screen was all black. I tapped to take a pic thinking the flash would fix the darkness issue but no flash, but it did take a picture.

I tried Auto and Manual flash settings but still the same. I have five completely black pics in the gallery.

Have you tried the flash always on setting?

Are you on the 4.4 update with the latest camera updates from the Play Store?

PiggyMiddle

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
Thanks guys,

I should have mentioned that the flash did work when there was a little more light for the auto-focus to work. Once the auto focus worked so did the flash.

My first thought was that it was a faulty flash, but taking a picture in a room with a little better light, the flash worked fine.

I guess I should have said, I have two good pictures with flash after turning on a small light in the room and five pics of blackness. :)