Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    199 Global Posts

Question Can the Moto X be used both on T-Mobile and Verizon?

I have a Moto X I got from Best Buy for Verizon. Can the same Moto X be used on T-Mobile? Its not activated or in use.

Global Posts
    13,792 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Default Re: Can the Moto X be used both on T-Mobile and Verizon?

Quote Originally Posted by drpepsi View Post
    I have a Moto X I got from Best Buy for Verizon. Can the same Moto X be used on T-Mobile? Its not activated or in use.
    I believe it can. I don't think anything special needs to be done to it, meaning, I think all proper radios are in the device.

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    199 Global Posts

Default Can the Moto X be used both on T-Mobile and Verizon?

Some guys wants to buy it off me. TMO is GSM, correct? So basically he just goes to T-Mobile and get the Sim card and puts it in and he's good.

it should but you will only get edge (2g) speeds unless you are in a reframed area which im not sure which areas are reframed its probably best to be used on straight talk at&t you will get hspa+ speeds
    Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    199 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by brian7751 View Post
    it should but you will only get edge (2g) speeds unless you are in a reframed area which im not sure which areas are reframed its probably best to be used on straight talk at&t you will get hspa+ speeds
    What should I tell the guy? He's asking me if it'll work on GSM. The phone is on Swappa and I don't want to give him false info.

i have a t-mobile sim i put in my droid maxx and it only gets edge (2g) speeds

yes t-mobile is gsm as is at&t, sprint and verizon are both cdma
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    199 Global Posts

yes t-mobile is gsm as is at&t, sprint and verizon are both cdma

Does this sound about right. I'll just tell him was is posted in the link above.

I was about to ask almost the opposite: If I get the "T-Mobile" unlocked version to use on AT&T (which I am), would I be able to use it on Verizon and get full coverage if I decided to change? If it has all the CDMA and GSM frequencies why couldn't it be used on any network and get the full 4G/3G coverage of that network?

i have an at&t sim from straight talk and a t-mobile sim from t-mobile

at&t = hspa+ (4g) not LTE

t-mobile = edge (2g) unless in a reframed area
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Global Posts
    199 Global Posts

i have an at&t sim from straight talk and a t-mobile sim from t-mobile

at&t = hspa+ (4g) not LTE

t-mobile = edge (2g) unless in a reframed area
    What is a reframed area?

from what ive been reading around the web verizon wont let phones on its network unless its a verizon phone but im not 100% sure

yes dr.pepsi i would tell him what i wrote

an area that has been changed from 1700mhz to 1900mhz for 4g

att uses 1900mhz for 4g t-mobile uses 1700mhz for 4g and in some area they converted (reframed) to 1900mhz

What is a reframed area?
    The term is "refarmed" not reframed, just so no one gets confused if they try looking up the term on the interwebs.
    If I wanted limits on what I could do with a device, I would have an iPhone!
    Thanked by:
    brian7751 likes this.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Global Posts
    199 Global Posts

Lol

Sorry some places on the web say reframed.Some say refarmed.I didnt know 4 sure so I thought it would be out of the 2 reframed because it just sounds better but if it is refarmed then sorry not everyone gets everything perfect.But thanx 4 correcting

Quote Originally Posted by tmann202 View Post
    I was about to ask almost the opposite: If I get the "T-Mobile" unlocked version to use on AT&T (which I am), would I be able to use it on Verizon and get full coverage if I decided to change? If it has all the CDMA and GSM frequencies why couldn't it be used on any network and get the full 4G/3G coverage of that network?
    I asked this on Motorola Chat and got this reply: "No you cannot, because the "T-Mobile" Moto X's is for GSM's. Verizon has it's own version of Moto X which is for CDMA." And also, "Yes that is correct. T-Mobile phone does not come with CDMA frequencies. You have a point there."

I would have thought it would be easier to put all the CDMA and GSM frequencies on all the phones instead of having some on one but not another, but I guess not, or maybe it has to do with the contracts with the providers. With the way people switch carriers now especially with all the no contract plans, seems like it should be required that all phones work on CDMA and GSM.

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by tmann202 View Post
    I would have thought it would be easier to put all the CDMA and GSM frequencies on all the phones instead of having some on one but not another, but I guess not, or maybe it has to do with the contracts with the providers. With the way people switch carriers now especially with all the no contract plans, seems like it should be required that all phones work on CDMA and GSM.
    CDMA is not as much of a standard as GSM. More to the point, Sprint and Verizon each have put their own special sauce into their implementations of CDMA, meaning that a universal radio is a little tougher. Verizon, in particular, tends to be extremely fussy about their radio drivers and accepting phones that were not specifically built for their network and sold by them.

The LTE part (data only) would probably work fine. I've read reports about people moving the T-Mo or AT&T versions of the MotoX to Verizon and actually being able to send/receive calls and SMS/MMS text, but I have a hard time believing that to be possible.
    Phones: BB 8820 -> BB 8310 -> HTC Thunderbolt -> LG Optimus G Pro -> Moto X
    brian7751 likes this.

Sorry some places on the web say reframed.Some say refarmed.I didnt know 4 sure so I thought it would be out of the 2 reframed because it just sounds better but if it is refarmed then sorry not everyone gets everything perfect.But thanx 4 correcting
    No worries! I think people's auto correct kicks in on this term so it ends up being a different word associated with this then the correct one. Plus it's easy to misspell!

Posted via Android Central App
    If I wanted limits on what I could do with a device, I would have an iPhone!
    Thanked by:
    brian7751 likes this.

What should I tell the guy? He's asking me if it'll work on GSM. The phone is on Swappa and I don't want to give him false info.
    Give him this link:

Due to FCC agreement, new Verizon phones are supposed to come sin unlocked to use with GSM network. But I never have first hand experience since I wouldn't buy Verizon phones for their general lower resale value and locked bootloader and the big logo in your face.

I must be in a refarmed area. I checked it yesterday in town and got LTE. I couldn't use it though because i didn't have any minutes on my phone. But when i walked into Walmart at the back of the store it went to -120dbm on LTE and then dropped to edge speeds instead of hspa+. Also when i get within about 6 miles from my home im on edge the whole way and on the road next to my road its covered heavily in trees and hill sides so i loose service completely on the whole road same can be said for sprint.Verizon & At&t work though.
    Can the Moto X be used both on T-Mobile and Verizon?-screenshot_2014-02-06-20-27-33.pngCan the Moto X be used both on T-Mobile and Verizon?-screenshot_2014-02-06-20-27-28.png
    I also noticed that voice was always on -120db (no signal). Then if i tried calling someone it wouldn't work the first time but it dropped lte and i got voice signal. I tried the call again and the call (*611) worked fine.
    Last edited by brian7751; 02-07-2014 at 03:26 PM.

Here is the signal b4 it drops it completely "too where it says no service" when you first start hitting the trees and hills.
    Can the Moto X be used both on T-Mobile and Verizon?-screenshot_2014-02-07-13-04-41.png

from what ive been reading around the web verizon wont let phones on its network unless its a verizon phone but im not 100% sure
    That's what I was told when I went into the Verizon store late last week. Very short visit

Me: "What are you prepaid plans for my unlocked phone?"
    VGuy: "If it is not a Verizon phone then we can't help you.
    Me: Exit door right!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast