Fake Review counts?

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I used an account that already existed. My goal wasn't to completely disguise myself but just to use an account that didn't have my name on it for the sake of writing reviews.

If you remove an account from your phone you'll lose all the contacts and data associated with it until you add it back in when hopefully that will all re-sync.

Sent from my LG-LG870 using Tapatalk 2
Yes, this would be good enough for me. I knew when I bought an Android phone that I had sold my soul to Google, and I am not trying to prevent Google from figuring out what I am doing with it. I would like to make it a little challenging for any random hacker to connect everything I've ever done on the web, however. If my name were Susan Anderson, or Katie Smith, I wouldn't have any concerns along these lines. But my name happens to be pretty easy for anyone to google.

A lot of my software is paid, however, so it would be expensive to start over. Maybe I'll do this going forward, though.

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
No it's not and who the eff cares if you violate it anyhow? What is google going to do to you?

Google has revoked some g+ accounts because it didn't believe the user was listing his real name. I have a friend who ultimately won the right to use his nickname, and he has a friend who didn't.

But I think the idea of a gmail address (which doesn't have to be a real name) that isn't linked to g+ is a good one.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Google has revoked some g+ accounts because it didn't believe the user was listing his real name. I have a friend who ultimately won the right to use his nickname, and he has a friend who didn't.

But I think the idea of a gmail address (which doesn't have to be a real name) that isn't linked to g+ is a good one.

Yep.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

PiggyMiddle

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
Just out of curiosity, what are you worried will happen if you don't do any of this?

Not worried, just like to keep as much to myself as possible. Would you like your medical history open to a host of corporations?

You do know that it is more than likely ALL of your medical history including your Doctor's notes from EVERY visit is available via the Internet, don't you?

My local Doc can access all test results from the local hospital and so can I. I also use the Mayo clinic for serious stuff and I too have an account with them that is accessible via the Internet. All test results, Doc notes etc I can get in the comfort of my home.

You do know that insurance companies (trusted? employees) also have full access to that data. I would assume pretty much any company related the Obama care sign-up fiasco, at last count some 250 different cross reference checks can also get at it.

BUT, I am OK with that and why? My Google name is a lot different to my real name so that the data is useless to any corporation or individual trying to cross reference it against my Google name.

That is just to name a small portion of stuff that is freely available to some or many.

If you are happy with that and a ton of other stuff being freely available then by all means use your real name.

Oh, and as an aside, I got this X a week back and already I have had 11 junk calls to the new number that I have given to no one.

PiggyMiddle

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
Google has revoked some g+ accounts because it didn't believe the user was listing his real name.

That was because they were able to cross-link the accounts with another reference within their own system.

That's why I said make the Recovery email address with a different company like Bing or Yahoo.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
That was because they were able to cross-link the accounts with another reference within their own system.

That's why I said make the Recovery email address with a different company like Bing or Yahoo.

Plus, I think unless someone complains about you they probably never do anything. So if you make a second account, don't be abusive with it. :)

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site

In Google + early days [i was a beta adapter] I saw many accounts with false credentials taken down. I am not sure how that goes today, but if it was important to stay private, I would just avoid giving giving any information to google. I am also disappointed that Google is tying reviews to personal accounts and the whole you tube thing. Very apple-esque google has been as of late.

PiggyMiddle

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
I saw many accounts with false credentials taken down.

That can only happen if they have something tangible to cross reference with. If you never give them a phone number or something else that can identify you via public records they will assume (I guess) that it may be a legitimate account name. If you used something like "Big Badbear" as First and Last names, chances are it will never see the light of day. :)

@mrsmumbles:
>> So if you make a second account, don't be abusive with it.

While I think that is a valid statement, it is a little off the point for this discussion, plus, who is to decide what might be "abusive?". What is unkind to some societies is dark humor to others. Ever been to New Jersey? LOL

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
That can only happen if they have something tangible to cross reference with. If you never give them a phone number or something else that can identify you via public records they will assume (I guess) that it may be a legitimate account name. If you used something like "Big Badbear" as First and Last names, chances are it will never see the light of day. :)

@mrsmumbles:
>> So if you make a second account, don't be abusive with it.

While I think that is a valid statement, it is a little off the point for this discussion, plus, who is to decide what might be "abusive?". What is unkind to some societies is dark humor to others. Ever been to New Jersey? LOL

Maybe, but I meant try not to make any enemies. It's the safest thing. :)

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site

While I do agree, I would just encourage people who do violate google's terms to not completely rely on their services incase they do shut the account down. But I agree, it is kinda ridiculous to not be able to freely use the name you prefer without breaking terms.

PiggyMiddle

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
Maybe, but I meant try not to make any enemies. It's the safest thing.

Again an agreeable suggestion, but one will never be able to appease to the lowest common denominator. Just be yourself and speak your mind. That's what the First Amendment is all about. And probably why they (our brilliant Forefathers) made it the First Amendment. :)

PiggyMiddle

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
to not completely rely on their services incase they do shut the account down.

Very sage and good advice (is that Tautology?) but to rely on any one free service is akin to putting all of one's eggs in one basket. That's why I use POP-relay of all emails so they ultimately reside on my PC and also remain untouchable from the outside.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I don't believe that. That sort of sheet would make it into the paper if Google did something like that. In what court did your friend win the right to use his nickname?

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Very sage and good advice (is that Tautology?) but to rely on any one free service is akin to putting all of one's eggs in one basket. That's why I use POP-relay of all emails so they ultimately reside on my PC and also remain untouchable from the outside.

Thank you. I think that sums it up for me. You clearly understand that loosing data is never fun.

PiggyMiddle

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
why did you think I was talking to you? I haven't responded to you in this thread at all.

Ummm, the "all" in "you all" is collective, so I assumed that you were referring to us all.

Had you written "clearly you don't.." I would never have commented as it would have been obvious that you were referring to the quoted section.

Having said that, I totally agree with your premise that many here have no idea how the Law works when it comes to online account management. :)

It's all light hearted and friendly here from my standpoint.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie