Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Where's the Moto love?

I've had my MotoMaker customized Moto X for a few days now and I must say that its a very nifty device.

It feels really good in the hand and is light but not too light. It also feels solidly built.

The screen is FINE. No it does not have pixels to spare but everything looks sharp and vivid on the 720 p AMOLED screen.

Battery life is VERY good with mixed use I have been averaging 19 plus hours a day with 15% battery life to spare.

The active display is a very nice feature that I use constantly without fear of a massive battery drain.

The active assist works very well in the car as does most of the voice commands and control. If I had to gripe it would be about the voice command to activate Google hands free services. 'OK Google now' is just too hackneyed for my tastes.

Performance overall is buttery smooth and snappy with little to no hiccups along the way.

The camera is what it is. The few pics I've taken are not bad and not great but what do you want? A great camera with your so so cell phone or a great phone with a so so camera? Can you have both? Sure but I'm not sure you'd get that in as nice a package as the Moto X.

Overall a very capable phone with enough software and hardware innovation to keep things interesting.

Good job Motorola.

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: Where's the Moto love?

When they lost the multicolored led they lost me.

Beamed from my Galaxy Note 3

I certainly like mine here lately tho I have been using my nexus 5 so I can try out different rooms.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by recDNA View Post

For me, active display trumps a led.

Thanked by:
    appmy, MHBlink8, davidnc and 5 others like this.

I tried loving a Moto X and that's why I've been banned from the Verizon store.

--
    Somebody, somewhere, right now is stuffing Twinkies in their shorts.

I used to think the presence of an LED notification light was a non-negotiable on a smartphone for myself, but I haven't missed an LED at all while using a Moto X.

I agree I really wish it had an LED. I prefer LED to active notification believe it or not.

Sent from my XT1053

I love the with active display I only have to swipe once to unlock/turn on the phone. Can't do that with LED.

Anyway, you can enable the green LED with root.
    davidnc likes this.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

There actually is an LED in the phone but you can only access it if you root the X. It would have been nice if Motorola Gave users the option though.

I thought it was hardwired to only show low battery, and couldn't be used in any other way, even with root. Is that not true?

And I never realized how much that I missed the LED until I got rid of my Moto X

Quote Originally Posted by thecaringkind View Post
    If I had to gripe it would be about the voice command to activate Google hands free services. 'OK Google now' is just too hackneyed for my tastes.
    If it helps you don't have to use the word "now" anymore.

If I wanted limits on what I could do with a device, I would have an iPhone!

Quote Originally Posted by GadgetGator View Post
    If it helps you don't have to use the word "now" anymore.

you mean they changed it in an update??

Global Posts
    6,684 Global Posts
    ROM
    Nexus(AOKP-jb_4.2.1)

Im glad the Moto X doesnt have an led light , that thing got on my nerves .I always disabled on other phones I had , after a day or less the blinking omg

Quote Originally Posted by thecaringkind View Post
    I've had my MotoMaker customized Moto X for a few days
    Slipping into Proban suit!

As a stickler for accuracy, that statement should read, "I've had my MotoMaker optioned Moto X for a few days"

"Custom" means a one-off part, and nothing else like it. A factory cannot add "custom" parts unless they make each one specifically for an entity and it is different from all others they have made.

Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    I used to think the presence of an LED notification light was a non-negotiable on a smartphone for myself, but I haven't missed an LED at all while using a Moto X.
    +1
    I was completely tweaked out with Lightflow and different colors/vibration patterns/notification sounds so I could always tell what was waiting, even from across the room. I decided to give Active Notifications a solid chance and haven't looked back at all. Simpler is better for me today.
    davidnc likes this.

Active notifications is so much better then an led. I understand you can make your led what ever color you want for sms,email ext but nothing beats rolling over in bed looking at your phone and it lights up and you can see what you have going on without ever touching it.

davidnc likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by phositadc View Post
    I agree I really wish it had an LED. I prefer LED to active notification believe it or not.

Sent from my XT1053
    Have you used active notifications? It really is a nicer feature than LED notifications. Well, in my opinion.

Sent from my XT1056 using AC Forums mobile app
    davidnc likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mynameis View Post
    Have you used active notifications? It really is a nicer feature than LED notifications. Well, in my opinion.

Yep I use it and I like it but for me an led is a more reliable way to see notifications when my phone is sitting on a table.

Sent from my XT1053

Quote Originally Posted by PiggyMiddle View Post
    A factory cannot add "custom" parts unless they make each one specifically for an entity and it is different from all others they have made.
    They must not have very many customers.

Used to be an app called noLED used it on my Fascinate back in the day it because had no led could if I remember you could also have a pic of the person pop up instead of the light.

Quote Originally Posted by carter17 View Post
    Active notifications is so much better then an led. I understand you can make your led what ever color you want for sms,email ext but nothing beats rolling over in bed looking at your phone and it lights up and you can see what you have going on without ever touching it.

Quote Originally Posted by mynameis View Post

Yup, active notifications on my Moto X since Thanksgiving. Still miss the LED. (although mine wasn't very bright, and was either on or off. The bright blinking one on my husband's galaxy S4 is a little annoying at night.)

I wonder if it makes a difference that I am nearsighted. I can't see anything on the phone when I roll over in bed, except that there's a dim light that goes on and off. I can read the notifications during the day, when I am wearing glasses, but it feels like it demands my attention in a way the LED didn't. I have to actually pay attention at just the right moment, when it is on. The LED was just sitting there, glowing whenever I happened to look at it. It may still be the glasses -- unless I look directly at it when it is on, I can't make out what it says.

Global Posts
    823 Global Posts
    ROM
    Gingerbread Deck, Matrix

I don't understand how people prefer a blinking led, which provides pretty much no info, to an on screen preview of your messages that is unobtrusive and saves battery. Its like saying you'd take a horse and buggy over a sedan.

Razr>Juke>POS Blitz(Broken)>Droid> Epic 4g(returned)>Nexus S 4g

Quote Originally Posted by enik View Post
    I don't understand how people prefer a blinking led, which provides pretty much no info, to an on screen preview of your messages that is unobtrusive and saves battery. Its like saying you'd take a horse and buggy over a sedan.

You might try reading some of the posts from people who miss the led. You might learn why they feel that way. That doesn't mean you will agree with them, of course; these things are quite personal. But you could gain that understanding you lack.

The only way in which I miss the LED is that I can't see the charge status of the device when it's on charge. I could set different colors for different notifications but could never remember which was which so ActiveDisplay is SOOO much better for me, except for seeing the charge status.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast