Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 34
Like Tree6Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    jaboop's Avatar

    Posts
    224 Posts
    Global Posts
    228 Global Posts

    Default Moto X: Anybody else want a dedicated thread for rooting?

    Why hasn't this been created yet. is it because of a lack of support? This phone came out 5+ months ago. Sorry if this is already discussed.

    Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 02-13-2014 at 11:56 PM.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Anybody else want a dedicated thread for rooting?

    I think its more the fact that there are many guides on XDA regarding the different ways of rooting for both locked and unlocked Bootloaders. No need to start a thread here when the only thing we will do is be linking to that site for the different tips, tricks, and FAQ's.

    Posted via Android Central App
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    jaboop's Avatar

    Posts
    224 Posts
    Global Posts
    228 Global Posts

    Default Re: Anybody else want a dedicated thread for rooting?

    Quote Originally Posted by Reciprocal View Post
    I think its more the fact that there are many guides on XDA regarding the different ways of rooting for both locked and unlocked Bootloaders. No need to start a thread here when the only thing we will do is be linking to that site for the different tips, tricks, and FAQ's.

    Posted via Android Central App
    But....I don't like xda ):

    Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Anybody else want a dedicated thread for rooting?

    I would be more interested in a one-click Cyanogenmod link specifically for the X.

    I spent three hours yesterday going through the manual process described on XDA, only to find I had more trouble at the end than when I started - and - I am a programmer! Fortunately my X is the Dev edition so no big deal reverting back to stock.

    My experience over the past 18-months trying to root a Kindle Fire, Asus MeMo and now the X using XDA stuff is flaky at best.

    Its is well intentioned, but the process is never described unambiguously and accurately for everyone to follow. It requires assumptions and knowledgeable or guessed tweaks along the way and that is a recipe for frustration and disaster even for folks with a good level of technical knowledge.

    I will wait for a one-click Cyanogenmod rather than try any more XDA ramblings.

    Just one old fart's opinion.
    Thanked by:
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Anybody else want a dedicated thread for rooting?

    You have to be much more careful flashing the Moto X compared to Nexus, people are bricking their devices by downgrading the phone then receiving the update or by flashing the wrong firmware from a different region for their Moto X. It is possible to hard brick this device. To be safe, once you updated to the latest version, stick with that version.

    sent via tapatalk
    Last edited by someguy01234; 02-13-2014 at 10:40 AM.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Anybody else want a dedicated thread for rooting?

    Quote Originally Posted by PiggyMiddle View Post
    I would be more interested in a one-click Cyanogenmod link specifically for the X.

    I spent three hours yesterday going through the manual process described on XDA, only to find I had more trouble at the end than when I started - and - I am a programmer! Fortunately my X is the Dev edition so no big deal reverting back to stock.

    My experience over the past 18-months trying to root a Kindle Fire, Asus MeMo and now the X using XDA stuff is flaky at best.

    Its is well intentioned, but the process is never described unambiguously and accurately for everyone to follow. It requires assumptions and knowledgeable or guessed tweaks along the way and that is a recipe for frustration and disaster even for folks with a good level of technical knowledge.

    I will wait for a one-click Cyanogenmod rather than try any more XDA ramblings.

    Just one old fart's opinion.
    If you have the dev edition you don't need an 'exploit' to root and were wasting time.

    -Moto X-
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Anybody else want a dedicated thread for rooting?

    I rooted my S3 and S4 using guides on xda. That maybe be different since they use Odin to flash instead of command line though. I've had my X about 2 weeks and so far I'm happy with it, I'm sure I'll at least root it eventually though.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Anybody else want a dedicated thread for rooting?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketsaucev2 View Post
    If you have the dev edition you don't need an 'exploit' to root and were wasting time.
    Education is never a waste of time. What a sad old world it would be if we only ever did what didn't waste time. Baseball games, Football games, TV, movies - my list would be too long to continue here.

    I saw a quote by an old sage somewhere, "there is no crime in not knowing, the crime is in not wanting to know!"
  9. #9  
    Ry
    Ry is offline
    Ry's Avatar

    Posts
    7,190 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,197 Global Posts

    Default Re: Anybody else want a dedicated thread for rooting?

    If you want it, make it.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

    Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
  10. #10  
    clankfu's Avatar

    Posts
    352 Posts
    Global Posts
    353 Global Posts

    Default Re: Anybody else want a dedicated thread for rooting?

    Quote Originally Posted by PiggyMiddle View Post
    I will wait for a one-click Cyanogenmod rather than try any more XDA ramblings.
    Just curious...why would you want CM on this phone? Wouldn't that leave out features such as Active Display?

    And I've never had problems rooting with the guides on XDA. You just have to do a fair amount of reading and research before you jump headfirst into it. I've rooted an HTC Hero, HTC Evo 3D, GNex, N4, S3, 2012 N7, 2013 N7 and have never run into any serious issues.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  
    jaboop's Avatar

    Posts
    224 Posts
    Global Posts
    228 Global Posts

    Default Re: Anybody else want a dedicated thread for rooting?

    Im not a admin ;P
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Anybody else want a dedicated thread for rooting?

    Is there a sub forum for Rooting, ROMS, and Hacks? I don't see them for any Motorola phones, not just the Moto X. I'm guessing there never was and its just a typo?

    Moto X: Anybody else want a dedicated thread for rooting?-motox.jpg
  13. #13  
    Ry
    Ry is offline
    Ry's Avatar

    Posts
    7,190 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,197 Global Posts

    Default Re: Anybody else want a dedicated thread for rooting?

    Quote Originally Posted by jaboop View Post
    Im not a admin ;P
    You can start a thread about rooting without needing to be an admin.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

    Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Anybody else want a dedicated thread for rooting?

    Quote Originally Posted by clankfu View Post
    why would you want CM on this phone?
    I like to be in charge of what is running on my phone - and - I have already stopped Active Display, don't like it, don't need it. I don't care about instantly reading incoming emails and I do not do the social clap-trap.

    Quote Originally Posted by clankfu View Post
    You just have to do a fair amount of reading and research before you jump headfirst into it.
    Ummm, I thought I made that point clear above, as a major stumbling block with XDA stuff. The whole reason I like the idea of one-click is because it is just one-click.
    thesystemfailed likes this.
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Anybody else want a dedicated thread for rooting?

    Rooting a Samsung phone using Odin can be easy. Motorola is a whole different story. Make sure you do careful reading before rooting and flashing. Also taking OTA update while rooted or downgrading your phone and taking OTA could also brick it. There are more ways to brick Motorola phone I've found out.

    sent via tapatalk
    Last edited by someguy01234; 02-14-2014 at 12:13 AM.
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Anybody else want a dedicated thread for rooting?

    Quote Originally Posted by jaboop View Post
    Why hasn't this been created yet. is it because of a lack of support? This phone came out 5+ months ago. Sorry if this is already discussed.

    Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app
    It comes down to demand. If the demand warrants it then we consider it.

    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central





  17. #17  
    Cozume's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    926 Posts
    Global Posts
    933 Global Posts

    Default Re: Anybody else want a dedicated thread for rooting?

    Here are the instructions on rooting an unlocked bootloader Moto X running either 4.4. or 4.4.2:



    The basic steps after you unlock your bootloader are you flash a custom recovery and install a super user app. That is it.

    When I get around to rooting my locked bootloader Moto X, I will summarize that. It is much more complicated.
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Anybody else want a dedicated thread for rooting?

    Being a neophyte to the cell phone culture I don't understand the need for rooting.
    I do understand the desire having extensive experience with desktop computer building/tweaking.
    Maybe after I've had the X for a bit, then i'll consider other options.
    For now: will keep it stock.
  19. #19  
    Cozume's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    926 Posts
    Global Posts
    933 Global Posts

    Default Re: Anybody else want a dedicated thread for rooting?

    Quote Originally Posted by oldDummy View Post
    Being a neophyte to the cell phone culture I don't understand the need for rooting.
    If you have an unlimited data plan on Verizon you need to root to WiFi tether. Another reason to root is to use ad blocking apps.

    For me, the WiFi tether makes rooting a necessity.
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Anybody else want a dedicated thread for rooting?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cozume View Post
    Here are the instructions on rooting an unlocked bootloader Moto X running either 4.4. or 4.4.2:
    The basic steps after you unlock your bootloader are you flash a custom recovery and install a super user app. That is it.
    That's the link I had the trouble with, and unlocking the boot loader is only a tinny part of installing a different ROM. That's when it gets sticky.

    BUT

    Ask and ye shall receive. I found this, this morning...


    Woo Hooo!
  21. #21  
    Cozume's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    926 Posts
    Global Posts
    933 Global Posts

    Default Re: Anybody else want a dedicated thread for rooting?

    Quote Originally Posted by PiggyMiddle View Post
    That's the link I had the trouble with
    Link works fine for me.

    Quote Originally Posted by PiggyMiddle View Post
    and unlocking the boot loader is only a tinny part of installing a different ROM.
    The link explains how to ROOT when you have an unlocked bootloader. It isn't about installing a different ROM.
  22. #22  
    Cozume's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    926 Posts
    Global Posts
    933 Global Posts

    Default Re: Anybody else want a dedicated thread for rooting?

    Quote Originally Posted by PiggyMiddle View Post
    Ask and ye shall receive. I found this, this morning...
    That link uses CWM as the custom recovery. Many of us prefer TWRP.
  23. #23  

    Default Re: Moto X: Anybody else want a dedicated thread for rooting?

    Yea but you can always change your recovery that's really easy. Im so glad to see that nightly up there you have no idea.

    Posted via Android Central App
  24. #24  

    Default Re: Anybody else want a dedicated thread for rooting?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cozume View Post
    Link works fine for me.
    I gotta stop getting involved with this pissing contest you seem to be keen on. It is not the actual link failing, it was the data defined therein. Didn't we have this out over the NHS thing? You take things way too literally. I am not trying to "get at you," I am just passing comments on things I like, things I don't like, things I want or things I would like an explanation for/of. Lighten up.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cozume View Post
    The link explains how to ROOT when you have an unlocked bootloader. It isn't about installing a different ROM.
    ...and my original statement in this thread was "I would be more interested in a one-click Cyanogenmod link specifically for the X." That's why I went looking for instructions and that's also why I found the XDA stuff lacked a lot of accurate detail. Moot point now that there is a CM option for the X being worked on again.

    Fini.
  25. #25  
    Cozume's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    926 Posts
    Global Posts
    933 Global Posts

    Default Re: Anybody else want a dedicated thread for rooting?

    Quote Originally Posted by PiggyMiddle View Post
    I gotta stop getting involved with this pissing contest you seem to be keen on.
    wow what a rude a44 comment. You aren't a poster who even stands out in my mind, but obviously, I am to you, lol!


    Quote Originally Posted by PiggyMiddle View Post
    It is not the actual link failing, it was the data defined therein. Didn't we have this out over the NHS thing? You take things way too literally.
    You have trouble conveying thoughts properly in written form, lol! Your post did not say what you are claiming it said on this thread or on that other thread.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Attatchment upload progress bar for Hotmail?
    By ycc in forum Android 4.1 / 4.2 / 4.3 Jelly Bean
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-21-2014, 01:07 PM
  2. Rooted TouchWiz Gone Crazy
    By crazymikesapps in forum T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-13-2014, 08:52 AM

Posting Permissions

B