Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Infinity
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    321 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Which Moto X?

I am considering buying a GSM Moto X (off contract) to test drive GSM carriers. I am currently on Verizon with the Droid Maxx and am very happy with the phone and the coverage. I am still on Unlimited data because I renewed my contract over the late September "glitch weekend."

I travel for work, mostly by car, in the SE U.S. I need reliable coverage in both urban and rural areas, but want options. I also figure if I stay with VZW, I can sell the X, or make it my kid's first phone on an MVNO.

The question is which "X"? Should I go for the GSM Developer Edition?

Posted from my XT1080M
    Current Personal Devices: Droid MAXX XT1080M; Sero 7 Pro
    Previous Personal Devices:
    Compaq HPC / Palm IIIc / Moto Bag Phone / Moto Flip Phone / StarTAC 7860 / StarTAC 7868 / v60s / GZ1 Type V / GZ1 Boulder / Thunderbolt
    Current Work Device: iPhone4
    Previous Work Devices:
    Moto "Lingo" L3000 iDEN / R750 / i355 / i580 + BB 8703 / BB 8830 / BB8330 / i576 + BB 9650 Storm

Default Re: Which Moto X?

DE if you plan to unlock the bootloader and want to keep your warranty. Otherwise go with the motomaker T-mobile version.
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    321 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Infinity View Post
    DE if you plan to unlock the bootloader and want to keep your warranty. Otherwise go with the motomaker T-mobile version.
    Is the T-Mobile version also compatible with AT&T systems for LTE?

Posted from my XT1080M
    Current Personal Devices: Droid MAXX XT1080M; Sero 7 Pro
    Previous Personal Devices:
    Compaq HPC / Palm IIIc / Moto Bag Phone / Moto Flip Phone / StarTAC 7860 / StarTAC 7868 / v60s / GZ1 Type V / GZ1 Boulder / Thunderbolt
    Current Work Device: iPhone4
    Previous Work Devices:
    Moto "Lingo" L3000 iDEN / R750 / i355 / i580 + BB 8703 / BB 8830 / BB8330 / i576 + BB 9650 Storm

Yes. Just without the AT&T branding and is carrier unlocked.

Global Posts
    5,528 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    Is the T-Mobile version also compatible with AT&T systems for LTE?

Posted from my XT1080M
    On most bands, yes. You'd probably be better off just getting the AT&T version.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running Slim Bean 4.3
    Everything in this post is 100% accurate...I think

R.I.P. Motorola...and what could have been the best smartphone line ever

The T-Mobile version is the same hardware as the DE, as well as sim unlocked. The big difference is you can customize it and that if you unlock the bootloader you forfeit your warranty. The AT&T version is sim locked and you cannot unlock the bootloader.

According to John Renaldi (Moto Employee) it has all the AT&T LTE bands. The only ones that are different are 05 and 07, anyone know if AT&T actually uses these?

While the TMO version does in fact have all the AT&T LTE bands (your AT&T SIM will work), the hardware itself does not contain all the same bands as the AT&T version. Our TMO version supports: LTE Band 02; LTE Band 04; LTE Band 17 and the AT&T version supports LTE Band 02; LTE Band 04; LTE Band 05; LTE Band 07; LTE Band 17
    Eric, get the TMO Moto Maker version as it will work on AT&T bands. It is SIM unlocked so it will work with any nano SIM you put in it. However, the AT&T version is SIM locked so you will be limited bringing it to an MVNO.

EDIT: According to AT&T does not use those bands, they are mostly used outside of North America.
    Last edited by Infinity; 02-13-2014 at 03:43 PM.
    UJ95x likes this.

If you need to use Verizon, you should go with the Verizon version. All new Verizon phones are GSM unlocked by default, which mean if you put in T-Mobile or AT&T sim cards, they will work. However, the Verizon version only support LTE band for its own network. It do not have the LTE bands support for other carriers, so you will only get 3G max for AT&T, and for T-Mobile to get 3G you have to be in one of the location that have the new 1900mhz coverage.

Global Posts
    5,528 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Quote Originally Posted by someguy01234 View Post
    If you need to use Verizon, you should go with the Verizon version. All new Verizon phones are GSM unlocked by default, which mean if you put in T-Mobile or AT&T sim cards, they will work. However, the Verizon version only support LTE band for its own network. It do not have the LTE bands support for other carriers, so you will only get 3G max for AT&T, and for T-Mobile to get 3G you have to be in one of the location that have the new 1900mhz coverage.
    I think the point of trying out the phones was to see if he would change carriers. Seeing how well the LTE covers his area would be important for that...

Everything in this post is 100% accurate...I think

R.I.P. Motorola...and what could have been the best smartphone line ever
    Thanked by:

The other benefit of the T-Mobile version is quicker updates and it has HSPA+ support for T-Mobile areas that have not been refarmed.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Global Posts
    321 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    I think the point of trying out the phones was to see if he would change carriers. Seeing how well the LTE covers his area would be important for that...

Yes, exactly. Since I have a Droid Maxx, I could run a T-Mo or AT&T SIM in it. I want to compare apples systems to apples systems. (Shouldn't compare apples here <g>)

Global Posts
    297 Global Posts

Get unlocked T-Mobile version. I'm using it with at&t Gophone prepaid service with LTE and hspa+ where there is no LTE. You will have so many choices between at&t, T-Mobile, and all the mvno services. There are always discounts available for refills on most prepaid services and you can avoid sales tax by buying online. Seacrest wireless is just one choice and eBay of course. Good luck!!

Sent from my XT1053 using AC Forums mobile app