Makeshift wireless charging for Moto X (and LuguLake shameless promotion)

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I was missing the built in wireless charging feature from my Nexus 4. I bought one of these qi charging receiver tag which have a microUSB jack, this give the Moto X wireless charging ability without having to do any internal modification.

The qi receiver tag is about $12, you can get one of these from Amazon or eBay by searching for the keywords: qi charger receiver tag microusb.
I highly recommend you find a receiver tag that have a higher mAH rating, perhaps 750mAH or 1000mAH.
IMG_20140215_214445.jpg

I also had a LuguLake 6000mAH Qi Charger unit that I used previously with the Nexus 4.
IMG_20140215_214320.jpg

The charger is rated at 1000mAH out and the qi receiver tag is rated at 500mAH out. (Not exactly sure the value for LuguLake is for its wireless charging or the USB port ouput, since it can charge another device using USB cable as well.)
IMG_20140215_214551.jpg

So theoretically you're charging @ 500milliamp per hour. From my usage, the phone can fully charge it's battery in about 4.5hours. While this seems long, the math works out (2200mAH / 500mAH = 4.4). If I had been using a 750mAH tag, it should only take 3hours instead.
IMG_20140215_214037.jpg

This is going to be slower than with phones that have internal qi receiver. Also my LuguLake charger output at 1AH, the official Nexus charger is rated higher than this. I am using a tag that have 500mAH rating which isn't very good.

So does it worth it to spend about $70 of accessories for this privilege?
It work flawless every time I put the phone on the charger. The phone (tag) only get a bit warm while charging and it never gets hot enough to be uncomfortable to hold. It's not so bad considering the Moto X battery last a full day, so you only have to charge it at night. I find wireless charging so convenient I don't want to constantly fiddle with microUSB cable. In the long run, this may preserve the durability of the phone's microUSB port by not having to use it as often.
IMG_20140215_213928.jpg

Other cons aside from slower charging time?
-You will have to use TPU case to cover up the tag and hold it in place. The tag itself is flexible so it won't damage easily. This is a bummer if you have a woodback which you won't be able to show off anymore.
-The tag will cover up the NFC part of the phone, I haven't tested how the NFC will work with the tag on though.
-Whenever you want to transfer files to the phone (by USB), you have to remove the microUSB of the tag. I can't really consider this as a con because it's actually very easy to do, since the receiver tag's microUSB jack tend to be plastic and is already in place in the right orientation, you don't have to fiddle as much like usual.

I don't mind the cons, it work out for me. I think the Moto X is meant to have wireless charging, which compliment it's touchless control feature. I will update on the charging speed when I get a 750mAH rated tag.

Attachments

• IMG_20140215_214215.jpg
    IMG_20140215_214215.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:

doctorvik

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
I have the same set up but my moto x will only charge if it is placed on the charger in lock mode?? Do you have that problem ?? I have tried diff receivers and diff chargers with the same result
Thanks

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I was missing the built in wireless charging feature from my Nexus 4. I bought one of these qi charging receiver tag which have a microUSB jack, this give the Moto X wireless charging ability without having to do any internal modification.

The qi receiver tag is about $12, you can get one of these from Amazon or eBay by searching for the keywords: qi charger receiver tag microusb.
I highly recommend you find a receiver tag that have a higher mAH rating, perhaps 750mAH or 1000mAH.

I also had a LuguLake 6000mAH Qi Charger unit that I used previously with the Nexus 4.

The charger is rated at 1000mAH out and the qi receiver tag is rated at 500mAH out. (Not exactly sure the value for LuguLake is for its wireless charging or the USB port ouput, since it can charge another device using USB cable as well.)

So theoretically you're charging @ 500milliamp per hour. From my usage, the phone can fully charge it's battery in about 4.5hours. While this seems long, the math works out (2200mAH / 500mAH = 4.4). If I had been using a 750mAH tag, it should only take 3hours instead.

This is going to be slower than with phones that have internal qi receiver. Also my LuguLake charger output at 1AH, the official Nexus charger is rated higher than this. I am using a tag that have 500mAH rating which isn't very good.

So does it worth it to spend about $70 of accessories for this privilege?
It work flawless every time I put the phone on the charger. The phone (tag) only get a bit warm while charging and it never gets hot enough to be uncomfortable to hold. It's not so bad considering the Moto X battery last a full day, so you only have to charge it at night. I find wireless charging so convenient I don't want to constantly fiddle with microUSB cable. In the long run, this may preserve the durability of the phone's microUSB port by not having to use it as often.

Other cons aside from slower charging time?
-You will have to use TPU case to cover up the tag and hold it in place. The tag itself is flexible so it won't damage easily. This is a bummer if you have a woodback which you won't be able to show off anymore.
-The tag will cover up the NFC part of the phone, I haven't tested how the NFC will work with the tag on though.
-Whenever you want to transfer files to the phone (by USB), you have to remove the microUSB of the tag. I can't really consider this as a con because it's actually very easy to do, since the receiver tag's microUSB jack tend to be plastic and is already in place in the right orientation, you don't have to fiddle as much like usual.

I don't mind the cons, it work out for me. I think the Moto X is meant to have wireless charging, which compliment it's touchless control feature. I will update on the charging speed when I get a 750mAH rated tag.

Hi someguy, (and anyone else in the know, puzzlegal?) : ), is this solution still the way to go? I want to attempt to create a wireless charging solution for my motox, whatever is the easiest way would be great. What types of cases can i use as still wireless charge? I'm okay to do a regular tpu case, would that be too thick?

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ource=vb_ac&utm_medium=content&token=39CfOhK3

and is there any way i can do wireless charging with a clear hard plastic type of case?
http://demandware.edgesuite.net/aah...g/en_US/v1404247494992/270/snap-clear-270.png

Last edited:

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Hi someguy, (and anyone else in the know, puzzlegal?) : ), is this solution still the way to go? I want to attempt to create a wireless charging solution for my motox, whatever is the easiest way would be great. What types of cases can i use as still wireless charge? I'm okay to do a regular tpu case, would that be too thick?

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ource=vb_ac&utm_medium=content&token=39CfOhK3

and is there any way i can do wireless charging with a clear hard plastic type of case?
http://demandware.edgesuite.net/aah...g/en_US/v1404247494992/270/snap-clear-270.png
I don't recommend this solution for the Moto X because for some reason Moto phones are really picky about microUSB connector and amperage I think. This phone is picky with microUSB cables as you may know. The tag in the pictures above work with the Moto X (due to its connector), but another 750mah type I bought doesn't work. What I would do with the Moto X is get a tpu case, it's more flexible and can expand, which is required to fit thicker tags, and if your qi receiver tag is too thick, you can peal off the outer protective layers.

If you don't mind slower charging time, the tag shown above probably work best.

Adele White

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
I have a white one which have no external battery function. I was wondering the battery pack can't lasting long time. So my question is how long does its external battery can be used? Can't be a rock after some month?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante