Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Google vs. Siri on flight status

I work for a company that has a lot of people traveling by air. I LOVE that I can say "OK Google Now. What is the status of US Airways flight 123" and it reports the status flight. I don't even have to look at my phone.

Siri just searches for the US Airways website.

I know Siri does other things well, but this feature is one I use a lot on my Moto X.

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: Google vs. Siri on flight status

I have a Nexus 5 and an Ipad Air and I find that i rarely ever use Siri, a few years ago Siri was popular, but these days Google seems to be able to match it plus better it.

Global Posts
    605 Global Posts

If you use Google now it will also display a card of the flight status and gate if your the one at the airport

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Yeah thats another point to Google, Google plus is so handy, it knows what you want to look at before you do

Global Posts
    548 Global Posts

I don't really use voice functions on my phone other than to read last message while driving.

A good travel app is all I really need that push notifications to my phone when there is a change. I mainly use BlackBerry Travel and Trip It when I'm OCD and want to double check.

Posted via Android Central App on BlackBerry Z30

Global Posts
    329 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Oates View Post
    I have a Nexus 5 and an Ipad Air and I find that i rarely ever use Siri, a few years ago Siri was popular, but these days Google seems to be able to match it plus better it.
    Ask your Nexus 5 if it can navigate to a person in your address book and tell me how that works. I have tried to get a gs3 and an htc one to voice navigate to a name whose address is in my contact and it never works. With Siri it does work. Siri can also read my last text or email or play my voicemail. Can't do that on my other two phones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah it worked. I asked "Ok Google" where is my wife and it loaded Google maps to our home address - is that what u mean?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    longsock123 likes this.

me too... the only time i activate siri on my ipad is by accident
    Fancy A Break From Your iPhone? Have an Android Kit Kat
    Thanked by:
    globster2000 likes this.

Global Posts
    329 Global Posts

Default Google vs. Siri on flight status

Yeah it worked. I asked "Ok Google" where is my wife and it loaded Google maps to our home address - is that what u mean?

No, that is not what I mean. Example: I have the address of my friend James in my contacts. I press the home button to activate Siri and then say: "Navigate to James," and Siri will do the rest. If I have two addresses for James, it will ask me which address to use and then it will do the rest.

I tried that on both my gs3 and HTC one and they both search the web for James and take me to a random address.

Sent from my 64 gig Retina IPad Mini

Yeah that's what I was saying above. I say "okay Google navigate to my wife" and Google maps will load and direct me to her address. Tried the same with a few other people I have addresses saved for and it works perfectly

Global Posts
    155 Global Posts

I say "okay Google navigate to my wife" and Google maps will load and direct me to her address.
    How does it know who is your wife?

When you say "Ok Google text my wife" it will ask you to assign a contact to "your wife" you can do the same with Mum, Dad etc...

Thanked by:
    Rogus 

Global Posts
    329 Global Posts

Yeah that's what I was saying above. I say "okay Google navigate to my wife" and Google maps will load and direct me to her address. Tried the same with a few other people I have addresses saved for and it works perfectly

Well, it does not work on either my Verizon S3 or my HTC One GPE. I even called google and asked them if google now does that and they said no. Google now cannot voice navigate to an address from your contacts. I am glad yours work.

Anyone else able to use Google now to navigate to an address? I haven't used the function until u asked me to try it glad it works tho

I've been able to get directions from Google Now when I ask it to navigate to a specific house or store.

Sent from my Xposed LG-G2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by nj1266 View Post
    Well, it does not work on either my Verizon S3 or my HTC One GPE. I even called google and asked them if google now does that and they said no. Google now cannot voice navigate to an address from your contacts. I am glad yours work.

I have also tried to do this on my Moto X. I spent quite a lot of time trying to make it work, because it would be very useful to me. I'm pretty sure it can't be done, at least on this phone.

Wait!? Did you find a way to make this work on the Moto X? Please explain how.

Global Posts
    329 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SactoKingsFan View Post
    I've been able to get directions from Google Now when I ask it to navigate to a specific house or store.

Sent from my Xposed LG-G2 using Tapatalk
    The question is to navigate to an address that is under a name in your contacts. Google now cannot reach into your contacts and pull out an address under a name and then use maps to navigate to that specific address. It does not have that functionality.

It can search for an address on the web and take you to that address, but it cannot do it if the address was ONLY in your contacts.

Global Posts
    5,715 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

On my Moto X this only works for me for places that I have previously been asked to identify as an important place, however not based only on a contact. It does work fine off of appointments where the contact's home was referenced as a location. Will test on my Nexus in a bit when I decide to move.

​Obvious statement: Why, I am an assassin 'droid, Master.
    May the Force Be With You

Community Rules & Guidelines​
    (Formerly "NothingIsTrue")

yes I have just noticed that Ok Google only works for places I have identified as important places, it wont work for all of my contacts.

Global Posts
    548 Global Posts

So the question Mobile Nations should ask AC, iMore, WP, CB is what percentage of people use the voice function on a daily basis. My guess is iPhone users use it the most out of the other OS, but, still a small percentage.

I haven't seen any of my iOS friends use it in person.

Thanked by:

Global Posts
    5,715 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Quote Originally Posted by pgg101 View Post
    So the question Mobile Nations should ask AC, iMore, WP, CB is what percentage of people use the voice function on a daily basis. My guess is iPhone users use it the most out of the other OS, but, still a small percentage.

I haven't seen any of my iOS friends use it in person.

Even then I'd estimate rates are higher among MoNa readers than the general population by a fairly substantial margin. I use it on my Moto X a lot, but that's kind of what the device was made to excel at. Guessing it's used much less on an HTC One, etc.

​Obvious statement: Why, I am an assassin 'droid, Master.
    May the Force Be With You

Community Rules & Guidelines​
    (Formerly "NothingIsTrue")

Yeah thats true and also I dont use the google voice functions much either. When I got my Nexus 5 I used it for the first couple of days then got bored of it I dont like shouting commands at my phone, especially with a Scottish accent

Global Posts
    548 Global Posts

Yeah thats true and also I dont use the google voice functions much either. When I got my Nexus 5 I used it for the first couple of days then got bored of it I dont like shouting commands at my phone, especially with a Scottish accent
    Neither do i...especially if I'm out in public. For me, it's pretty much a car thing. I tap the uConnect button on my car, call up BlackBerry Voice Control, and state my command....usually Call xxx, SMS/BBM yyy, or Read last email/bbm/sms. Other than that, I don't use it.

That Wolfram/Alpha answer engine thing on voice control is just silly. It can wait until I park the car or get to my laptop.

I don't see myself ever being comfortable using it in public. I look like I'm showing off when I do it in front of people.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast