Motorola apparently has some serious quality control issues with the natural Moto Xs

Papadakis

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
I returned my first Ebony Moto X because it had internal dust obstructing the camera, now the new one I have received has issues with the ebony "finish" being messed up...this may be the end for me getting a Moto X, I'm tired of all this returning, support calls and apparent lack of good QC on their products

Along the left edge in the lighter area you can see the biggest area of missing finish, along with all the lighter scratched looking areas in the dark sections:
imgur: the simple image sharer

And once again, most noticeable in the dark areas, the white scratched looking parts which are under the top coat in the ebony finish:
imgur: the simple image sharer

My first ebony model had a flawless finish, but the camera was physically unusable.

PiggyMiddle

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
along with all the lighter scratched looking areas in the dark sections

In a month's time you will forget all about it. It is mass produced, yes, even the "custom" bits and stuff happens. Local humidity and heat will make it expand and contract at different rates to the plastic beneath, It ain't never going to be perfect all the time. That's why I opted for the good old standard plastic back.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41V4odnThmL._SX300_.jpg
These come in different colors too.

It is a phone -- and a great one at that.

Papadakis

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
I understand that it's "mass-produced", but for something that's hand assembled for the most part, and is costing me $400, it better be damn near perfect. I've got a replacement on the way, fingers crossed this one will not have any glaring issues.

Jaingo5150

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Natural products have natural defects. Obviously not the camera, that's legit, but I don't think I would have returned due to the wood defect.... Doesn't look like a defect to me.

One you get one you are happy with enjoy. My MMX is the best phone I have had yet, and I am embarrassed to say I have had a few.

Posted via Android Central App

Papadakis

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
But that's the thing, it's not a piece of ebony wood, it's a finish, so it's not like a chunk of wood has some defects, it's the finish they're putting onto whatever wood base they're using.that has the problems.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I'd like to note that people who experience negative issues are more likely to post and share them.

TJH132

May 5, 2010
Visit site
The images of the backs provided looked good to me. I'd hate to be Moto right now RMAing these types of complaints.

TJH

Posted via Android Central App

tmann202

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Are you going to put a case on it? If so, you won't see the wood that close-up. If not, it's going to get scuffed up soon enough anyway. How about just get a non-wood one at this point? Those look great too.

jethrodsp

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
I am posting from my ebony backed MMX right now while I wait on my replacement with the woven back.

The phone looks brilliant, but its unusable for me without a case on it.. the back is just to slippery. Also, there is a more pronounced lip surrounding the camera and flash cutouts that bugs me to no end. Add the fact that the dimple loses a bit of its definition and I'm just not impressed beyond the look enough to justify choosing it over the supurb unibody backed plastic moto. Just my opinion of course.

I have to say though, that Motorola customer service has been awesome and the while process from the original order to now has gone flawlessly so far.

Papadakis

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Ok, maybe I am exaggerating by saying "serious", but being that this is the second one I've gotten with issues is my point. The pictures don't get across how obvious it is that the areas I pointed out are missing the ebony finish - my first model with the camera issue had a perfect back, so I do have something to compare to, I'm not just assuming this is how it's not supposed to be.

Pinkman.

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Just got my ebony Moto X and its got some defects as well... has a lump right where the dimple on the back is... so every time I hold the phone I feel a small pebble like bump protruding rather than the dimple... so annoyed... not to mention theres a visible gap where the ebony back doesn't reach one side of the phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol