Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By Ry
  • 1 Post By TJH132
  • 1 Post By NickLippert
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    AOKP JB-MR1 4.2.2

Default Motorola apparently has some serious quality control issues with the natural Moto Xs

I returned my first Ebony Moto X because it had internal dust obstructing the camera, now the new one I have received has issues with the ebony "finish" being messed up...this may be the end for me getting a Moto X, I'm tired of all this returning, support calls and apparent lack of good QC on their products

Along the left edge in the lighter area you can see the biggest area of missing finish, along with all the lighter scratched looking areas in the dark sections:
    imgur: the simple image sharer

And once again, most noticeable in the dark areas, the white scratched looking parts which are under the top coat in the ebony finish:
    imgur: the simple image sharer

My first ebony model had a flawless finish, but the camera was physically unusable.
    Thanked by:
    sasky 

ROM
    Stock

Default Re: Motorola apparently has some serious quality control issues with the natural Moto Xs

Hmm. No problems with mine. Sorry to hear your woes.

Posted via Android Central App on my Ebony backed Moto X
    Tim
    Droid 4
    Nexus 10
    Lapdock 500 Pro

Default Re: Motorola apparently has some serious quality control issues with the natural Moto Xs

Quote Originally Posted by Papadakis View Post
    along with all the lighter scratched looking areas in the dark sections
    In a month's time you will forget all about it. It is mass produced, yes, even the "custom" bits and stuff happens. Local humidity and heat will make it expand and contract at different rates to the plastic beneath, It ain't never going to be perfect all the time. That's why I opted for the good old standard plastic back.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...mL._SX300_.jpg
    These come in different colors too.

It is a phone -- and a great one at that.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

ROM
    AOKP JB-MR1 4.2.2

I understand that it's "mass-produced", but for something that's hand assembled for the most part, and is costing me $400, it better be damn near perfect. I've got a replacement on the way, fingers crossed this one will not have any glaring issues.

Natural products have natural defects. Obviously not the camera, that's legit, but I don't think I would have returned due to the wood defect.... Doesn't look like a defect to me.

One you get one you are happy with enjoy. My MMX is the best phone I have had yet, and I am embarrassed to say I have had a few.

Posted via Android Central App
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

ROM
    AOKP JB-MR1 4.2.2

But that's the thing, it's not a piece of ebony wood, it's a finish, so it's not like a chunk of wood has some defects, it's the finish they're putting onto whatever wood base they're using.that has the problems.
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,838 Global Posts

I'd like to note that people who experience negative issues are more likely to post and share them.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KTU84P, KitKat 4.4.4)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

it's the finish they're putting onto whatever wood base they're using.that has the problems.
    And, that's why I mentioned humidity and expansion rates.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

ROM
    AOKP JB-MR1 4.2.2

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    I'd like to note that people who experience negative issues are more likely to post and share them.
    well duh, what's your point
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,838 Global Posts

well duh, what's your point
    My point is "serious" quality control issues might be an exaggeration.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KTU84P, KitKat 4.4.4)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
    Thanked by:
    TJH132, davidnc and Doomed#AC like this.

The images of the backs provided looked good to me. I'd hate to be Moto right now RMAing these types of complaints.

TJH

Ry likes this.

Are you going to put a case on it? If so, you won't see the wood that close-up. If not, it's going to get scuffed up soon enough anyway. How about just get a non-wood one at this point? Those look great too.

Quote Originally Posted by TJH132 View Post
    The images of the backs provided looked good to me. I'd hate to be Moto right now RMAing these types of complaints.

TJH

Pictures looked fine to me.
    Ry likes this.

I wonder how many returns it'll take to discontinue the wood backs.

I am posting from my ebony backed MMX right now while I wait on my replacement with the woven back.

The phone looks brilliant, but its unusable for me without a case on it.. the back is just to slippery. Also, there is a more pronounced lip surrounding the camera and flash cutouts that bugs me to no end. Add the fact that the dimple loses a bit of its definition and I'm just not impressed beyond the look enough to justify choosing it over the supurb unibody backed plastic moto. Just my opinion of course.

I have to say though, that Motorola customer service has been awesome and the while process from the original order to now has gone flawlessly so far.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

ROM
    AOKP JB-MR1 4.2.2

Ok, maybe I am exaggerating by saying "serious", but being that this is the second one I've gotten with issues is my point. The pictures don't get across how obvious it is that the areas I pointed out are missing the ebony finish - my first model with the camera issue had a perfect back, so I do have something to compare to, I'm not just assuming this is how it's not supposed to be.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

ROM
    AOKP JB-MR1 4.2.2

3rd time's a charm, got my Ebony model with blue accents today and no camera dust/finish imperfection problems

Just got my ebony Moto X and its got some defects as well... has a lump right where the dimple on the back is... so every time I hold the phone I feel a small pebble like bump protruding rather than the dimple... so annoyed... not to mention theres a visible gap where the ebony back doesn't reach one side of the phone.