Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By zedorda
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Moto X without a data plan, does MMS work?

If you have a Moto X without a data plan please comment in this thread with a yes, I'm doing a survey and would like to ask a few questions. TY

Default Re: Question about your moto x

Quote Originally Posted by greenxyz View Post
    If you have a Moto X without a data plan please comment in this thread with a yes, I'm doing a survey and would like to ask a few questions. TY
    Republic Wireless or Solavei? I have had a Moto X on Republic but not Solavei. As far as I know they are the only carriers that offer data-less plans.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    Republic Wireless or Solavei? I have had a Moto X on Republic but not Solavei. As far as I know they are the only carriers that offer data-less plans.
    What im trying to figure out is if the users moto x MMS works still, without a data plan. As well as to figure out which carriers they are on

MMS will not work without some kind of data on any carrier.
    Last edited by zedorda; 02-24-2014 at 07:06 PM.

Default Re: Moto X without a data plan, does MMS work?

I would imagine the answer would be defined as to whether your carrier allows the messages to be forwarded or not.

SMS was designed to be delivered via the SS7 layer of the telephone networks. The internet isn't required.

MMS is an internet protocol. The question would be whether the carrier blocks the ability to receive them when you are connected via wifi or don't subscribe to text messaging services. I don't see any technological obstacle, but that doesn't mean that a carrier would alow you to do so.

AT&T forwards them even if you don't have text messaging, but I think they cost $0.60 a pop.
    Last edited by PDT816; 02-24-2014 at 03:28 PM.

Republic Wireless is the only one that will allow MMS through wifi but quality is highly reduced making the pics very pixelated. This is only possible because Republic Wireless make their own ROM for the Moto X for their hybrid calling system and are a special case. No other carrier allows MMS over wifi.

To clarify MMS in Android is not a protocol and shouldn't be mixed up with "MMS" the "Microsoft Media Server" which is a protocol. SMS was not made for the SS7 layer it is just allowed within the SS7 set of telephony signaling protocols. SMS can be used on any standardized communication protocol.

Last edited by zedorda; 02-24-2014 at 07:13 PM.
    Thanked by:
    Ry 
    Ry likes this.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by PDT816 View Post
    I would imagine the answer would be defined as to whether your carrier allows the messages to be forwarded or not.

SMS was designed to be delivered via the SS7 layer of the telephone networks. The internet isn't required.

MMS is an internet protocol. The question would be whether the carrier blocks the ability to receive them when you are connected via wifi or don't subscribe to text messaging services. I don't see any technological obstacle, but that doesn't mean that a carrier would alow you to do so.

AT&T forwards them even if you don't have text messaging, but I think they cost $0.60 a pop.
    What if you have data blocked on your phone for AT&T, would that forwarding still be charged to you?

And not sure if this link is relevant but it demonstrates how to get MMS working on your phone

8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

MMS will not work without some kind of data on any carrier.
    i heard its possible based on that link i sent it seems possible

ROM
    ICS 4.0.5

I've all but given up on MMS due to the cost here (20 ~ 50c per message) and most of family and friends use WhatsApp for MMS via WiFi..

It is completely possible and done by many to receive an MMS message without getting it direct from the MMS system. There are apps and 3rd party software to route it through other methods of delivery.

But to that point why not just use email?

You may be able to MMS if you have an APN assigned for MMS. I have two entries in my APN section, one for ISP data and one for MMS.

See if you can find a "Setup MMS for xxxx" where "xxx" is your State or sometimes, even your County or City. A lot of people have posted their MMS settings. Providing the settings are for an Android phone it may work. Costs nothing to try but time.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

It is completely possible and done by many to receive an MMS message without getting it direct from the MMS system. There are apps and 3rd party software to route it through other methods of delivery.

But to that point why not just use email?
    Yea i been using email,

I don't have a data plan but sometimes i get MMS from people who think i might receive it and it shows the download button. But im not sure if i can actually click that download button..

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PiggyMiddle View Post
    You may be able to MMS if you have an APN assigned for MMS. I have two entries in my APN section, one for ISP data and one for MMS.

See if you can find a "Setup MMS for xxxx" where "xxx" is your State or sometimes, even your County or City. A lot of people have posted their MMS settings. Providing the settings are for an Android phone it may work. Costs nothing to try but time.
    Lets say i did change up my APN will my phone provider find out in any way?

Lets say i did change up my APN will my phone provider find out in any way?
    Unfortunately, can't help there, but a guess is probably not as my MMS use a totally different ISP so there may not be any track-back to the phone company.

Having said that, what can be used within the APN should be controlled by the Permissions within the SIM card set by your provider. If your phone company does not allow MMS then you would probably get a message "no service provider" or something like that after trying to send an MMS.

However these are guesses as I had Data and MMS set up and assigned by my carrier.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Unfortunately, can't help there, but a guess is probably not as my MMS use a totally different ISP so there may not be any track-back to the phone company.

Having said that, what can be used within the APN should be controlled by the Permissions within the SIM card set by your provider. If your phone company does not allow MMS then you would probably get a message "no service provider" or something like that after trying to send an MMS.

However these are guesses as I had Data and MMS set up and assigned by my carrier.
    Which phone company do you have?

Which phone company do you have?
    TMo.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

TMo.
    Ahh yea MMS works with TMo